Traffic stop- Careless Trooper

This is a discussion on Traffic stop- Careless Trooper within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Ky. I got pulled over by a State trooper for speeding. Yes, I was guilty. I put my hands on the steering ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Traffic stop- Careless Trooper

VIP Member

I live in Ky. I got pulled over by a State trooper for speeding. Yes, I was guilty. I put my hands on the steering wheel, rolled down my window and awaited for her to approach. I don't have to inform that I'm carrying in Ky. This Trooper was a tiny little woman. Probably weighed in at 90 lbs with her duty belt on. She asked if I had any weapons in the car, I said "Yes I do. I have a firearm on my right hip". She said "Step out, I'm going to disarm you for the duration of the stop". I got out and put my hands above my head in a submissive position so she could take my gun from its holster. Now I didn't like it one bit, but I knew she had the right to do so since I was speeding. In Ky it would be illegal for her to disarm me if I had not broken any laws. I've been stopped before and been through traffic check points and the cops never disarmed me.
    So she takes my Kahr CM9, steps back about 6 feet from me, turns the gun sideways, points it directly at me and starts pulling back the slide to unload it. I wanted to yell at her " What the hell are you doing pointing that gun at me"!! But I didnt say anything, I just took a step aside being careful not to move suddenly so I didnt put her on defense. After I stepped aside, she realized what she had done, so she took the gun and kinda squatted down behind my car, pointed the gun at the pavement and finally got it unloaded. She took the gun to her car and ran it and wrote me a ticket. She came back to my car and said "I'm going to put this gun in your back seat and I recommend you not load it until you get home. I had a guy shoot his foot reloading it in his car" . I said " well I cant make you any promises there". After she gave me the ticket and all, as she turned around to go back to her car, I reached back, loaded my gun and off I went.
    The general public thinks cops know all about guns and how to handle them. This is the closest I guess I've come to getting shot. A State Trooper at that.
    I thought about calling her in, but I go through that county quite a bit ( very rural ) and she'd probably have it out for me.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

I would have yelled at her....
    SummerJoy likes this.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Next time a cop asks you if you have any weapons, you say nothing. Now, what did we learn today?
    Anubis, jrclen and Poseidon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    I thought about calling her in, but I go through that county quite a bit ( very rural ) and she'd probably have it out for me.
    Just a thought here.. I honestly understand your hesitation in reporting the trooper. If I may.. How would you feel if tomorrow you read that same said Trooper killed someone while doing it again?
    I think if you called & honestly discussed this as the 'safety issue' it presented (not to complain about the citation) it could be a learning experience for the Trooper & may get her to treat these types of stops, as other Troopers have for you in the past.

Best of Luck whichever way you go with this.
    Respectfully,
    Automatic

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I don't think I would have let that slide; incompetence can be encountered anywhere.
    pittypat21 likes this.

AND you got a ticket?! I would have had their name, badge number, car number, and license plate number all recorded, and made an official report.
    pittypat21 and inneyeseakay like this.

Seems like many of you think all police officers are gun savy...I'll bet there are a lot of people on this forum who are not gun savy as well, but yet, they carry handguns under a state issued license or permit. AND, I wouldn't allow you to look at my handgun either. BUT, it was her scene...

First, she doesn't know you...I don't know the laws in Kentucky, but just because you have a legal right to carry a weapon doesn't mean you are an upstanding citizen, who realizes other people don't know as much as you about guns. I wonder how much you know about guns. Unloading your handgun makes her know there is one less firearm loaded. Apparently, she has little knowledge with handguns...doesn't make her a bad police officer or incompetent. It merely means she needs some more education on firearms.

Did you really believe she shouldn't have completed her task of writing the citation merely because of the gun issue ? I would gladly have handed my clipboard over to any civilian who thinks he could climb into the seat of a patrol car and done the job without training. She merely needs training in various firearms, and most officers do not have such.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OJDerrick View Post
    Next time a cop asks you if you have any weapons, you say nothing. Now, what did we learn today?
    If I get pulled over for a traffic violation and they ask if I'm armed, I will always say yes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by X4ND32 View Post
    AND you got a ticket?! I would have had their name, badge number, car number, and license plate number all recorded, and made an official report.
    I don't expect to get out of a ticket because of her actions.
    CharlesMorri, archer51 and KBSR like this.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    You don't have to yell, but it would be very appropriate to say in a firm voice, "muzzle! muzzle!"
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Automatic View Post
    Just a thought here.. I honestly understand your hesitation in reporting the trooper. If I may.. How would you feel if tomorrow you read that same said Trooper killed someone while doing it again?
    I think if you called & honestly discussed this as the 'safety issue' it presented (not to complain about the citation) it could be a learning experience for the Trooper & may get her to treat these types of stops, as other Troopers have for you in the past.

Best of Luck whichever way you go with this.
    Respectfully,
    Automatic
    This is a good point. I may call the State Police. I may not like the fact that she disarmed me, but since she did, she should know the basics of handling a gun.
    KBSR likes this.

I dont volunteer but if asked I would say yes. When she pointed the gun at you I am sure I would have asked her not to do that politely. Keep in mind her dash cam is on it protects both of you. I would have called it in so she gets more training an hopefully does not do it again.

You are lucky it wasn't a 'cocked and locked' 1911 - cops unloading guns is a scary proposition

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    I dont volunteer but if asked I would say yes. When she pointed the gun at you I am sure I would have asked her not to do that politely. Keep in mind her dash cam is on it protects both of you. I would have called it in so she gets more training an hopefully does not do it again.
    I understand. She knew she had screwed up when I stepped aside, which to me, was the same as politely saying something. Me taking a step aside was like a light bulb going off in her head. She immediately went behind my car and unloaded it. Of course she didn't apologize because that would be like admitting she did something wrong.
    CharlesMorri and RichB70 like this.

VIP Member
    Yes I am lucky. I don't like 1911's LOL. My Kahr was locked and loaded tho.....
    CharlesMorri likes this.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links