Carrying in all 50 states, Possible??

This is a discussion on Carrying in all 50 states, Possible?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don\'t ever see this happening for non-LEOs. In fact, I don\'t see it \"really happening\" for LEOs, regardless of the new law! FL has ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrying in all 50 states, Possible??

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I don\'t ever see this happening for non-LEOs. In fact, I don\'t see it \"really happening\" for LEOs, regardless of the new law!

FL has announced that NO retirees living in FL \"qualify\" to meet HR218\'s requirements, so they are out of luck.

MA seems to be intentionally not addressing the issue of retirees (who can certify them annually and how). Some PDs here refuse to even issue retiree IDs (1st part of requirement). As a Constable, I am legally a LEO, but my chief (who I don\'t work for) refuses to recognize us as LEOs and the town hasn\'t seen fit to even issue any of us an ID, so we can\'t meet HR218 as active LEOs.

NYPD posted an Email (posted on the LE forum at AR15.com) that directs all officers to detain (arrest) any traveling armed LEO and confiscate their firearm until their status can be absolutely determined by NYPD HQ.

NJ doesn\'t allow retired NJ LEOs to carry hollow points. Thus they aren\'t sure if visiting LEOs can be arrested for carrying hollow points in NJ.

Ad nauseum!

As for reciprocity . . .

The New England states pride themselves in basically NOT recognizing any other states'permits (generally a requirement for other states to recognize yours). MA recognizes nobody else, NH won\'t recognize FL NR CCW, RI even rejects applicants for renewal since the last two AGs don\'t believe that anyone should carry/possess firearms.

I also wish it were like our drivers licenses, recognized in all 50 states, but I don\'t see it happening, especially in the liberal states where our leadership has granola for brains.

2. Remove Ads

You are correct, I talked to my department and they havenít addressed the issue yet. I figure Iíll carry and take my chances. If I donít have to use it no one will ever know I have it. If I do have to use it Iíll be glad I have the weapon with me and at least I have the new law I can use as a defense.

Rickman
    There needs to be an association, similar to the NRA, that addresses the issues of concealed carry and represents the interests of those that do. Strong lobbying is what it will take to get it through Congress, but it could be done.

Originally posted by Rickman
    There needs to be an association, similar to the NRA, that addresses the issues of concealed carry and represents the interests of those that do. Strong lobbying is what it will take to get it through Congress, but it could be done.
    Very true. FOP (and LEAA originally) drove HR218.

NRA has the \"numbers\" to do it, but they have spent much too much political capital appeasing the anti-gun people and so I could never see them pushing a national CCW license.

Do you really want \'big brother'running a concealed carry license:huh:?? Our legislative branch making the rules??

I would much rather see the whole ball of wax stay with the states. Great progress has been made in the past ten years.

Originally posted by KC135
    Do you really want \'big brother'running a concealed carry license:huh:?? Our legislative branch making the rules??

I would much rather see the whole ball of wax stay with the states. Great progress has been made in the past ten years.
    Very bad Regression has happened in MA over the last 10 years. We have 351 different sets of requirements in MA alone. I\'d settle for a state-issued LTC/CCW that was recognized by all 50 states (which would require Fed legislation). DLs up until now (for the auto driver) have had state-level requirements, but recognized in all 50 states. LTC/CCW should be the same way.

http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/008298.html

acording to this thread Utah will give you 26 states

Utah and Az both are looking for tourist bucks. Along with Fl, both are agressive with reciprocal agreements.

DC Founder
    I bumped a couple of related threads that relate to this topic so people can see that there are some efforts to do this at the national level. If you are interested, I would recommend you contacting your representatives....

Here is something else to consider about 50 state carry. I read a post in this forum about someone using his gun I a manner that would probably get you arrested in New York State but I assume the laws of his state made it OK. One of the things that needs to be addressed are uniform laws throughout the country that specify when you can legally use your weapon before or when we get a 50 state carry law. Otherwise you are going to have people arrested for doing something that would be legal in the state they live.

Carry in all 50 states would be a dream come true, but now its only open for LEO\'s. Ive carried fully automatic weapons on international flights before, with civilians on board although my destinations havent been too sweet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links