maintenance man

This is a discussion on maintenance man within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So last week i had the maintenance man knock on my door at my apt. complex. lately me and my wife have been sleeping in ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: maintenance man

maintenance man

So last week i had the maintenance man knock on my door at my apt. complex. lately me and my wife have been sleeping in the living room of my apartment. Anyway the maintenance guy knocks once on the door and yells "Maintenance!" while putting his key in the door and trying to get into my home. Heres the problem, my wife sleeps in the nude and i had to yell at this guy multiple times not to come into my apt. I also had to physically hold my front door shut while he was trying to force his way in. luckily my wife made it to our bedroom in time to get some clothes on. i do sleep with my carry gun right beside me and in kansas it is illegal to enter an apt. without at least some type of notice. Honestly i feel violated and like somebody might walk in on me at any time of the day. has anybody had something similar happen to them? if so, do you have any advice?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by pwnedbyme73 View Post
    I do sleep with my carry gun right beside me and in Kansas it is illegal to enter an apt. without at least some type of notice.
    He gave notice when he yelled "Maintenance".

While not very secure...... Install a chain lock inside so the maintenance man has to wait for you to open the door.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    So you tell the guy not to come in multiple times and then have to brace the door while he continues to try?

If it were me, the property owner would be called immediately and if that didn't go 100% the way I wanted it to the police would be notified as well. I would be very sure all parties understood this would not be happening again. You need to make both the property owner and all maintenance employees aware that they are to call and schedule ahead unless there is a dire emergency, that would be fire or water gushing from your Apt. I find these types of issues are solved best by being very direct.
    ccw9mm, Hoganbeg, Bark'n and 24 others like this.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Walmart dot com sells pajamas for your wife to, um, use?

All kidding aside.

In every state, you have a right to your privacy in your 'abode'. Especially when leagally paying for it. You may want to contact a Lie-person = Lawyer, to advise you for how much you can stuff up your land lord's butt for $$. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    So you tell the guy not to come in multiple times and then have to brace the door while he continues to try?

If it were me, the property owner would be called immediately and if that didn't go 100% the way I wanted it to the police would be notified as well. I would be very sure all parties understood this would not be happening again. You need to make both the property owner and all maintenance employees aware that they are to call and schedule ahead unless there is a dire emergency, that would be fire or water gushing from your Apt. I find these types of issues are solved best by being very direct.
    the management here is known to give renters bad reputations if one was to complain. Ive lived here a couple years, and tried to have more than a few problems resolved and they do nothing. also ive heard from other people that they just get annoyed and treat tenants worse if they complain. ill be sure to keep track of all my interactions with them from now on, but i honestly feel the management wont care about this situation.

Have you readup on Kansas landlord-tenant laws? I've been in similar situations.

You might think about moving.
    ep1953, Arborigine and phreddy like this.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." ~ Mark Twain

alarm_door_security_bar.jpg

One of these will 'assist' with those buggy maintence personnel.... and give ya a 'second layer' of door security while ya'll are home.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by troutkiller View Post
    Have you readup on Kansas landlord-tenant laws? I've been in similar situations.

You might think about moving.
    I have. It just says that they must give "reasonable notice" before entering. even so this guy tried to force his way past me. what if it was an ex tenant that had a key or something? I didnt even request a work order so i had no idea what was going on, just waking up and all.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    alarm_door_security_bar.jpg

One of these will 'assist' with those buggy maintence personnel.... and give ya a 'second layer' of door security while ya'll are home.
    Try an old-fashioned door stop while you're looking for another apartment.

41sgJFEEhOL._AA160_.jpg
    goldshellback and TVJ like this.

step 1 - visit lowes
    step 2 - purchase new deadbolt lock
    step 3 - install
    step 4 - drink some beer, and enjoy.

...most apts. forbid you to put your own deadbolt on since they do need access...but something happened in the law in TX a few years back and they had to start putting a second bolt on for when you're home...no key on outside...to keep just such as this from happening...a privacy lock...you can also buy a hinged privacy lock that just requires a coupla small screws in the jamb and noone's getting in unless they smash in...the suggested Fox-lock that's been pictured that goes under the knob at an angle's at Home Dippy for less than $20...

...for you to be yelling and him still pushing on the door...raises my hackles...I've known too many cases of maintenance men abusing their master keys...I'd start with asking the mgr. to show you the work order that he was "acting" on...and I'd walk outside my apt. day and night and make sure all window shades were working well...I'd probably file a detailed police report, too, they might do a bit of checking on his history..his actions aren't normal...

^^^^ this ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...most apts. forbid you to put your own deadbolt on since they do need access....
    thats ridiculous....so when your not home and maintenance decides to ran sack your apartment.......yeah, not happening.

glad I have a home, I wouldn't put up with that nonsense rule. I'd be installing my own deadbolt.

saa
    Quote Originally Posted by pwnedbyme73 View Post
    I have. It just says that they must give "reasonable notice" before entering. even so this guy tried to force his way past me. what if it was an ex tenant that had a key or something? I didnt even request a work order so i had no idea what was going on, just waking up and all.
    What did you buy that gun for?

Here, in Texas, forcing your way into a residence, no matter who you are is grounds for use of deadly force. Forcing your way past me at the door isn't going to get you into your maintenance job.

I'm not advocating shooting this maintenance man - AT ALL! PERIOD. - but I am saying if he forces his way in and meets the barrel of a gun held by the legal homeowner who has been surprised by an illegal forced entry - he'll likely never return to your apartment, let alone enter again.

If Kansas uses the "Castle doctrine" or a similar rights law then you have every right to scare the hell out of him. Be cautious and prudent, and check your laws first to make sure that you have the right to draw on him and call the police.

Problem solved - no question.
    saa.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

The following is KS LAW you can tell your landlord that you need 24 hr written notice before any entry into your residence,any maintenance workers that violate that will not like the ensueing outcome of their actions

“Reasonable notice” is something you and
    your landlord have to decide together. If
    you don’t mind if your landlord comes over
    without calling first, that’s fine. But you
    can insist that your landlord let you know as
    much as 48 hours in advance. One to twentyfour hours is common. You should select your
    normal standard, preferably put it in writing, and
    be consistent.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links