CCL across state lines?

CCL across state lines?

This is a discussion on CCL across state lines? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live just off of the Indiana Michigan border, it is my understanding that Michigan recognizes the Indiana license. I ride motorcycles with a buddy ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By SIGguy229
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: CCL across state lines?

CCL across state lines?

I live just off of the Indiana Michigan border, it is my understanding that Michigan recognizes the Indiana license. I ride motorcycles with a buddy in Michigan and was wondering if it is an issue to cross statelines with a concealed firearm. Anyone have any experience!

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Best data for all reciprocity issues can be found at Handgunlaw.us

Its your responsibility to ensure you are in compliance with the laws of the state you are visiting. If you are visiting Michigan, you follow Michigan law. If you visit Ohio, you follow Ohio law. What is legal in Indiana may not be legal in neighboring states.

Go to Handgunlaw.us and do your reading. Print a copy to keep with you to refer to (often!). Do not assume. Do not go off what some guy on the internet tells you. Use and follow the references.

When I travel, I print off the PDF file of the state(s) I'm going visit, plus check the sources (state gov't websites) and read the law for myself.

When I was living in VA, I travelled often to NC, OH, WV, PA.....and travelled through MD (had to pull over and lock-up my gun because my VA permit was not recognized in MD)
    archer51 and RoadRunner71 like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Its your responsibility to ensure you are in compliance with the laws of the state you are visiting. If you are visiting Michigan, you follow Michigan law. If you visit Ohio, you follow Ohio law. What is legal in Indiana may not be legal in neighboring states.

Go to Handgunlaw.us and do your reading. Print a copy to keep with you to refer to (often!). Do not assume. Do not go off what some guy on the internet tells you. Use and follow the references.

When I travel, I print off the PDF file of the state(s) I'm going visit, plus check the sources (state gov't websites) and read the law for myself.

When I was living in VA, I travelled often to NC, OH, WV, PA.....and travelled through MD (had to pull over and lock-up my gun because my VA permit was not recognized in MD)
    ^^^This^^^

Also, remember to check your sources often. Laws and reciprocity agreements change. What is legal today, may not be next week.
    larrym likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I ride motorcycles with a buddy in Michigan and was wondering if it is an issue to cross statelines with a concealed firearm.
    If you cross State lines into a State that doesn't honor your Concealed Carry License at that point you are carrying an Unlawfully concealed Gun and if you get stopped by the PO PO they will not care if you are licensed in another State you will be arrested.Then it could affect your license in your home State since you now have been arrested for a handgun offense,and may be denied a license because of the arrest
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links