Feeling rather helpless

This is a discussion on Feeling rather helpless within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So about 2 weeks ago i hurt my right thumb enough that I haven't been using my right hand. All my holsters are right handed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Feeling rather helpless

Feeling rather helpless

So about 2 weeks ago i hurt my right thumb enough that I haven't been using my right hand. All my holsters are right handed so even if I wanted to carry lefty i couldn't. I haven't felt this helpless since before I got my chl 2 years ago. Any suggestions? I still carry in my vehicle but I feel helpless going in places.

2. Remove Ads

Without knowing your injury or EDC weapon it is hard to say. If your right hand is not useable, then pocket carry for the left may be an option. If is not, then it may be a good time to get a left handed holster. Foxx Holsters sells IWB and an OWB, and their turn around time is about a week.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Not sure what your edc gun is but you probably could pick up a fairly inexpensive left handed holster from a LGS or sporting goods store. Always good to practice with your off hand just in case the situation arises.
    Taurahe likes this.

my EDC is a CZ rami 2075. Unfortunately I never listened to my buddy when he said to get more serious about shooting both hands so i didn't, not sure I feel safe shooting with more than a piece of paper downrange when I'm lefty.

Also as far as the injury, I have been using my right hand more but my thumb sticks out like a sore.... well yeah it looks and feels out of place

Drive to Academy or Bass Pro and buy a cheap lefty holster to tide you over until your thumb heals. SA Ed Mireles killed two maniacs with his right arm practically blown apart, I think you can manage lefty carry and to get off the shots if in the remote chance you would have to in the short time that you will be incapacitated.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I own one of Dale Fricke's Zac holsters just for this purpose. Mic Holsters and Raven Concealment sell similar products. They are inexpensive, ambidextrous, and excellent for bag or glovebox carry as well. If in stock I am sure you could have one by the end of the week.

Knife, pepper spray.

This sort of situation is the one reason I generally have an off-hand holster option for my primary carry gun. You never know when your "strong" hand is going to be out of commission.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Fanny Pack...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L3git View Post
    So about 2 weeks ago i hurt my right thumb enough that I haven't been using my right hand. All my holsters are right handed so even if I wanted to carry lefty i couldn't. I haven't felt this helpless since before I got my chl 2 years ago. Any suggestions? I still carry in my vehicle but I feel helpless going in places.
    You aren't helpless, you are unarmed, and there is a difference. I would buy a decent (not cheap) left hand holster and I would carry in that. A few trips to the range to get comfortable shooting left handed and establish your limitations are in order as well.

I have a left hand J.I.T. Slide and an ambidextrous Remora pocket holster for my S&W 442 that fill this niche.

Jim
    archer51 and Hopyard like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    You aren't helpless, you are unarmed, and there is a difference. I would buy a decent (not cheap) left hand holster and I would carry in that. A few trips to the range to get comfortable shooting left handed and establish your limitations are in order as well.

I have a left hand J.I.T. Slide and an ambidextrous Remora pocket holster for my S&W 442 that fill this niche.

Jim
    I agree. There are other options if you can't carry. Use them until you can find a lefty holster. Remember, your best weapon is sitting on your shoulders.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Ya, not trying to beat you up - but if you already have the mindset that your helpless just because your right thumb is down, you really need to reset your thinking. Lot's of good advice here, take this as a great chance to grow and learn some adaptability!
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

5.11 tactical t shirt, just got one, and LOVE it, it is also ambidextrous (pockets on both sides). If you do not like it, you could go back to your holster after healed, and if it is 2x you could float me a price, lol ;)

Is the issue simply a holster problem? Or are you impaired to the point where actually handling the gun is too difficult?

If your life depends on it I'll bet the right thumb will work, adrenaline does some amazing things.

Your not helpless. What did you do before you had your CHL? It all goes back to your prior experience and your SA to keep your alive and well. So don't ever think of yourself as being helpless.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links