stowing and hosltering in the car

This is a discussion on stowing and hosltering in the car within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, rules and laws sometimes suck but we gotta obey them or pay the price. So here's a scenario that I think I need a ...

Thread: stowing and hosltering in the car

OK, rules and laws sometimes suck but we gotta obey them or pay the price. So here's a scenario that I think I need a wee bit help on:
    Since my work has "no weapons" policy I have to leave my gun in the car. This means that I have to unholster it (no problem there) and stow it unloaded. The last part is the kind of tricky part. I have to stay concealed while unloading and it's not easy: which means I do it in a half bent position with the gun under the steering wheel.

Those of you who do it, how do you do it? Any suggestions any suggestions as to the best way to proceed?

I carry a 9mm semiauto and my safe in the car is a Center Of Mass safe.

I've attached the safe cable to the seat rail so the safe comes up from under the seat between my legs when I pull on the cable.

All I have to do is drop the mag, then drop mag and gun into the safe and close the lid. It's quick and almost invisible to anyone outside the car unless they are standing right at the window. I do it in my lap, but it could be done anywhere from there to flat on the floor.

Bob

Lead Moderator
    If side tint windows are legal, why not try that.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfiegel View Post
    I carry a 9mm semiauto and my safe in the car is a Center Of Mass safe.

I've attached the safe cable to the seat rail so the safe comes up from under the seat between my legs when I pull on the cable.

All I have to do is drop the mag, then drop mag and gun into the safe and close the lid. It's quick and almost invisible to anyone outside the car unless they are standing right at the window. I do it in my lap, but it could be done anywhere from there to flat on the floor.

Bob
    So, you carry without one in the pipe, hey.

Stop for a moment in the back of the lot or a low traffic area to take care of stowing your weapon first before parking. Another thing you could try if you feel comfortable, find a closed business nearby and pull in to secure your gun, then drive the last little way to work. If anyone asks what you were doing, say you thought you had a cell phone call coming in and pulled over to answer it.

nn, it depends.

If I'm out and about and perceive little risk I may not have one in the chamber. Or I may, which is more often than not.

However, despite the technical definition of "loaded," because of the mag disconnect safety feature, I'll typically leave the chambered round in when I drop the mag to put it in the car safe. Obviously, if I'm ever called on it, I've technically got a loaded weapon in the safe, but given the low odds of being seen, the fact that the weapon cannot fire the chambered round in its present state, and the fact that the safe requires retrieval first and then the use of a key to open it, well, I'm rolling the dice in hopes that I'll have a reasonable LEO when/if the time ever comes.

I do realize, however, that I am sticking my neck out, but then just carrying at all bears its own risks, even with a license.

It's all a matter of risk assessment and judgement of what level of risk is acceptable to me.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobfiegel View Post
    If I'm out and about and perceive little risk I may not have one in the chamber. Or I may, which is more often than not.
    I don't want to hijack this thread, or turn it into a Condition 1/Condition 3 debate (we've already got another recent thread for that). However, I think that whatever condition you carry in, it's much better if you carry in the same condition all the time. If you ever have to draw your weapon, the stress of the situation is going to make it difficult to remember which condition the weapon is in. You don't want to stand around dithering because you can't remember if there's one in the pipe or not. If it's in C1 and you rack the slide, then you've just given up the draw speed and ammo capacity advantages of carrying in C1. Of course, if it's in C3 and you don't rack the slide, you end up trying to shoot the BG on an empty chamber that's even worse.

I know you're weren't looking for advice on carry condition here, but mine is to pick one and stick with it.

Why do you store it unloaded?
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    Why do you store it unloaded?
    state law

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I have black seat covers and keep a black hand towel in the car. I just cover up what I am doing so even someone standing right beside the car could see nothing.

You can carry concealed but can not leave one in the pipe if left in your car? I do not unload the gun, but take the whole holster off without taking the gun out. Put it in car safe that way.

You are just increasing the risk of it going off by trying to unload in the parking lot without anyone seeing you.

Isn't it against company policy to even have it on the property?

There is a law against about everything and you probably break some of them on a regular basis without knowing it. I would ignore the one about an unloaded gun in this case.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Living in Colorado i seldom have the need to " stow " but when i do i do it seated in the car , and for security i handcuff it to the seat structure on the floor , throwing a towell over it , loaded mags and spare rounds go in the glove box .. a mis spent youth left me with an excess of pairs of handcuffs lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonshooter View Post
    You can carry concealed but can not leave one in the pipe if left in your car? I do not unload the gun, but take the whole holster off without taking the gun out. Put it in car safe that way.
    It's the law.....
    You are just increasing the risk of it going off by trying to unload in the parking lot without anyone seeing you.
    Yup, that's what I'm thinking too.
    Isn't it against company policy to even have it on the property?
    The company handbook does not say anything about the parking lot and since we just have an office in that building.. ya know

Oh, I just saw that you are in SoCal. That explains the law part. :)

Sounds like you know what to do. I'd strongly recommend not fiddling with the gun if you don't have a good place to do so. A snap on holster or anything that does not require you to undo the belt will come off and be stowed in one quick motion with practice.

If it's your GAP you are packing, the Alessi CQC/S is an awesome OWB for such.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonshooter View Post
    Oh, I just saw that you are in SoCal. That explains the law part. :)

Sounds like you know what to do. I'd strongly recommend not fiddling with the gun if you don't have a good place to do so. A snap on holster or anything that does not require you to undo the belt will come off and be stowed in one quick motion with practice.

If it's your GAP you are packing, the Alessi CQC/S is an awesome OWB for such.
    Actually it's the crossbreed and it's the XD .40SC . At first the crossbread felt wrong but it actualy fits pretty good now. It fits so good I ordered one for my Steyr.

Anyways for now I'm leaving the holster on and just stowing the gun. I am thinking about using velcro clips so that the clips don't show and the holster is not obvious on its own.

Sponsored Links