Wife Wants to CC?!?!

Wife Wants to CC?!?!

This is a discussion on Wife Wants to CC?!?! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Wife and I have had the conversation on and off about getting her a pistol for HD, for times when I am not around. ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Goat_Herder
  • 1 Post By Danjojo
  • 2 Post By MrsHB
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Wife Wants to CC?!?!

Wife Wants to CC?!?!

The Wife and I have had the conversation on and off about getting her a pistol for HD, for times when I am not around. We've been to the range a number of times to try out different pistols. So far we've ruled out a few options. She does like shooting the SP101. She also likes my CZ75B but not strong enough to rack the slide. That's about as far as we got.

Recently, she found out that one of her best GF owns a gun - a liberal downtown city deweller. She was kinda taken back. So the conversation about buying a gun kinda started again. So we will plan for another range trip soon.

Fast forward to today, while on the way to do some grocery shopping, she told me that she applied for a job at the sherieff department's crime lab. She was pretty excited about it. With her education and experience, she has long thought about working in a CSI lab. I jokingly said that maybe you will have to carry a gun, just like the TV show. Without a pause, she said "that will be awesome".

Time to make a shopping list and sign her up to a woman's class at the local range!
    mprp, Taurahe and MrsHB like this.

This is an article that is moderately decent on the subject. Skip the bleeding heart neurotic parts, she actually does buy an LCR and takes a class from an NRA instructor in Montana. Bear in mind also that this article was written for Elle and not Soldier of Fortune so.

Should I Buy a Gun? - A Crime Victim Considers a Controversial Means of Protection - ELLE

Kathy Jackson from Contents | Cornered Cat is going to be putting on a 2-day "Defensive Handgun Class for Women" at Norpoint in July. A lot of classroom time and a lot of shooting. My wife is already signed up.

There are a good number of ranges in the Seattle area. Such as ... click.

Kudos to your SO for making the "leap."

Be sure to have her read the Ayoob book, In The Gravest Extreme; perhaps even The Truth About Self Protection.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks, Dave, for the tip. But Arlington might be a bit far for us. We are in So King Co.

WCA has some classes for beginners. I will check to see if they have anything tailored to women. I think my wife will benefit more from that. They also has a wide range of rentals for her to try out. Of all my pistols, the SP2022 and P238 are the only two she is able to operate. I will have her try out other semi (of different trigger type and caliber) and a few other revolvers in 38spl or even .22mag. :)

A lot of times it is just being timid with the gun when it comes to racking the slide, but heavier slide with lighter spring is easiest. My 105 lbs. wife used to think it was too hard to rack the slide but now with confidence from training and familiarization she "man-handles" any and all pistols with a brisk push-pull.
    Goat_Herder likes this.

Congrats to your wife on the new job and wanting to CC!

Congrats on the Boss' decision to CC...(if it were my wife) I wouldn't be able to get her to the LGS fast enough.>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    You still here? Get on down to that gun shop!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    That's awesome! Good for you and even better for her!
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Not quite there on the job situation yet but I am happy that she is more open to guns and CC. Those Criminal Mind/CSI/NICS shows have some to do with it, I guess. :)

Anyway, I will definitely look for a woman's class for her.

Good for her!

I'd echo the recommendation for getting her Ayoob's book, In The Gravest Extreme, but an even better book for her to start out with is Kathy Jackson's Cornered Cat book: The Cornered Cat: A Woman's Guide to Concealed Carry: Kathy Jackson: 9780982248799: Amazon.com: Books It's geared specifically towards women who are new to guns and who are considering carrying. I have both books (plus many others) but these are the two I found most helpful.

For racking the slide, make sure she's using the correct technique. A lot of men PULL the slide back, but the easiest way is to hold/brace the slide with the weak hand, and use the strong hand to punch the gun forward, as explained & illustrated here: Racking The Slide Of Your Gun

Good luck to your wife!
    Goat_Herder and marcclarke like this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Be sure to have her read the Ayoob book, In The Gravest Extreme; perhaps even The Truth About Self Protection.
    This: I found "In the Gravest Extreme" brand new at the local Goodwill for a buck, great read!

I'd like to add, have her contact my wife and talk her into it......

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHB View Post
    I'd echo the recommendation for getting her Ayoob's book, In The Gravest Extreme, but an even better book for her to start out with is Kathy Jackson's Cornered Cat book: The Cornered Cat: A Woman's Guide to Concealed Carry: Kathy Jackson: 9780982248799: Amazon.com: Books It's geared specifically towards women who are new to guns and who are considering carrying. I have both books (plus many others) but these are the two I found most helpful.

Gila Hayes, Personal Defense For Women.
    Paxton Quigley, Not An Easy Target, and Armed and Female.
    Kathy Jackson, The Cornered Cat: A Woman's Guide to Concealed Carry.
    Kathy Jackson, Lessons From an Armed America.

Lots of decent material out there.
    marcclarke likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Gila Hayes, Personal Defense For Women.Check! One of the few that covers shotties for SD
    Paxton Quigley, Not An Easy Target, and Armed and Female.Still on the list
    Kathy Jackson, The Cornered Cat: A Woman's Guide to Concealed Carry.Check
    Kathy Jackson, Lessons From an Armed America.Check! An excellent, albeit sobering, read

Lots of decent material out there.
    Agreed!
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links