Carrying at work...?

Carrying at work...?

This is a discussion on Carrying at work...? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you ask an employer about being able to carry or not while on the job? Also, what about job hunting... when would it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Carrying at work...?

Carrying at work...?

How do you ask an employer about being able to carry or not while on the job?
    Also, what about job hunting... when would it be appropriate to bring that topic up?

VIP Member

Carrying at work...?

If your company has a specific policy, it'll be in the employee manual. If it's not, or they don't have one, I'd just carry if I was comfortable doing so.

On looking for jobs, I wouldn't bring it up unless it was so important that you wouldn't work there unless they allow you to carry. Otherwise I would say asking during an interview would be the quickest way to guarantee that you won't be getting the job. Now that may not apply in certain jobs like security work or working at a store where you see other employees armed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    darbo and MrsHB like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Number one source: Employee handbook.

Number two: Human Resources.

Failing those options, I would go up to my boss and say "Do you allow legal concealed carry in the workplace?". Framing the question that way means you're not asking if YOU can carry, just if it is allowed. You could be a screaming left-wing nutjob worried about others carrying, for all they know.

As for job hunting, if you really want to bring it up then a good time would be when they ask you if you have any questions. Phrase the question in the same manner.

If an employer is bothered by an employee, or potential employee, asking whether they are allowed to exercise their constitutional rights at work then they may not be the best place to work for anyway.

Note that I said "if an employer is bothered" by it. If they disallow it, but are not hyperventilating after the question, then that's fine. You know where you stand. Doesn't mean that you shouldn't work there. If they start crapping their pants at the mere inquiery is when it's a potential problem.

VIP Member
    Check your employee handbook. If it isn't prohibited I'd carry. As for asking I wouldn't. On a job interview, I wouldn't bring it up. Again, ask for an employee handbook and see what it says. If it is prohibited by the hand you have to decide how you want to proceed.
    First Sgt and Aceoky like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Check your company's employee policy...but don't ask about it. Check Michigan hand gun laws about places you cannot carry.
    If all is clear...then carry discretely.
    Don't mention to ANYONE about being armed...not even your best friend on the job...he may eventually throw you under the bus.
    Aceoky and First Sgt like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

the whole purpose of the employment process is to screen out applicants. Any reason to thin the herd.

Carrying at work...?

I work at a hotel, I'm typically the only employee for 8-10 hour shifts. Recently, there have been 4 armed robberies in the past week alone (just a few buildings down from where I work). And the hotel next door got robbed at gun point the week before that. We don't really have any security measures for instances like that, so I'm pretty nervous at work. I don't want anything to happen at all... But I also don't want to get in trouble if I defended myself when the employer is "anti-gun".

If you had to defend yourself (this would only happen in a life-threatening situation) would it really matter to you about what your employer thought? Would your self defense be worth getting fired over?

These are just a few questions to ask yourself. Do a quick search, too. This topic has been discussed on numerous occasions.
    bombthrower77 likes this.

I wouldn't ask. If you can see the employee handbook prior to starting a new job you can decide then. If not, then you make the decision afterwards. All organizations have the right to make their places of business gun free. It sucks, but that's the law.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

^^ What retsupt99 said - as long as you're within Michigan's laws and there's nothing in the employee handbook, you're good to go! And I definitely wouldn't bring up carrying during an interview; you need to make the best impression possible.

And personally, my life is worth more than a job... In a situation like yours, I'd carry discretely. What they don't know can't hurt them!
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Just remember, a lot of states don't need a reason to fire you.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Just remember, a lot of states don't need a reason to fire you.
    I believe it's all states except Montana don't need a reason to fire you.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

Carrying at work...?

I live in Michigan, but I've only ever worked in Indiana. The Indiana state law says that it's up to the employer about on the job, but they cannot ask about a gun being in the car or not.
    On another note: if all they wanted was cash, then they'd get all $100 from the drawer... Anything else from me would not be advised!

One day my boss came to me and said "what can we do to beef up our security?" I slid open my top right desk drawer so he could see the hand cannon inside. He smiled and said, "I see you have that taken care of" and walked away. Sometimes working for a small company has its advantages.
    Ransom and sdprof like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boudin View Post
    One day my boss came to me and said "what can we do to beef up our security?" I slid open my top right desk drawer so he could see the hand cannon inside. He smiled and said, "I see you have that taken care of" and walked away. Sometimes working for a small company has its advantages.
    Sounds like a Dilbert cartoon.
    bigbadsmiles likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links