An interesting development regarding "outing" concealed carriers...

This is a discussion on An interesting development regarding "outing" concealed carriers... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, a little background: My wife and I are in front of the public a lot. I gave seminar speeches around the country for years ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: An interesting development regarding "outing" concealed carriers...

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar

First, a little background:

My wife and I are in front of the public a lot. I gave seminar speeches around the country for years before I retired. Since retirement, we have both performed during wild animal shows around Florida, and now we both volunteer at a museum where we meet a lot of the general public...OK, now today's story:

We went to lunch with about 20-25 rather casual friends in a local restaurant. The owner of the restaurant came to our long table and welcomed us. He stood at the end of the long table and addressed each of us. When he saw me, he asked me "where did we meet?" I started mentioning all of my 'public' appearances, and that didn't make him remember where we had met. After addressing others around the table, he came back to me and loudly proclaimed that he remembered where we had met. He said "I remember now, we met at the concealed carry class given by the police dept." My wife and I had been invited to sit in on a class as a refresher after having our CWL for a long time.

As soon as he said that, I kinda cringed because we usually don't want that broadcast. So...my wife and I were "outed" as carrying concealed weapons in a very public way in front of 25 of our friends and a crowded restaurant.

Now comes the interesting part. At our table, only ONE person was unarmed during lunch (one of the single women). The discussion, of course, was steered toward concealed carry and our rights and laws. I hadn't previously told others at the table that we carried and I had no reason to believe that anyone else at the table had CWL. Lots of discussions about favorite firearms and availability of ammo. The only one who was unarmed said she was going to look into taking a class and getting her CWL. It turns out that she has been a shooter for years and just hadn't mentioned it before to our group.

I'm still a little uneasy about the "public outing", but it turned into a very interesting lunch among friends...I even scored five AR-15 magazines at $11 each! One of the people at the table had a box of magazines in his truck.

VIP Member
    If you don't like being outed loudly and publicly, NEVER go to a 12-step meeting.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If you don't like being outed loudly and publicly, NEVER go to a 12-step meeting.
    LOL!

Most of the time I'm pleasantly surprised when people find out I have a gun. I'm a polite upstanding guy, and I rarely get a negative reaction. It doesn't happen very often but occasionally someone will mention it.
    ZOMBIEvs42 likes this.

I think a lot of people carry here in South Dakota. I'm very new at it myself. I was quite surprised when I started talking about personal protection and a lot of my coworkers carry, but not at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I should ask what that is, but I will google it instead.

I remember when I was taking my class my old supervisor at (the time at my old job) was asking me all kind of questions about the class. He thought it was interesting that I was taking the class considering he never knew of any people to take the class. One day we were talking and some first shift workers (we worked third) came in and over heard and started asking me questions. It felt weird explaining to them at first but it got to the point where I didn't feel uneasy about some of my co workers knowing.

I do not advertise, but I am also committed to concealed carry. My friends who do know are ok with it. Those who dont are oblivious, and if they find out and dont like it, there are plenty of others like myself always willing to make a new friend before the zombie apocalypse. I will not change who I am or what I do, just because someone else is uncomfortable due to their own lack of knowledge.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I even scored five AR-15 magazines at $11 each! One of the people at the table had a box of magazines in his truck.
    To bad you didn't score a few boxes of 5.56/.223
    oldnfat, packinnova and mano3 like this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

Actually, as you related your story...you weren't actually "outed" as carrying, you were outed as to your interest and support of concealed carry based on being identified as having attended the concealed weapons class. Now, IF during the course of conversation, you and your wife admitted to carrying at the luncheon as part of the "generated" conversation, then YOU truly outed yourselves. But, with that being said, I imagine it was quite comforting to know that you were surrounded by friends that were of the same mentality as yourselves.

BTW...good score on the mags...heck...VERY good score...lol...Thanks for the story...
    Last edited by First Sgt; March 4th, 2013 at 07:20 PM.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    To bad you didn't score a few boxes of 5.56/.223
    yeah, yeah, yeah...in this part of the country, that ammo is really hard to find, and sells out in minutes.

If I get "outed" and one of my "friends" finds that offensive I'll just find another friend!

Quote Originally Posted by asldkjfqwoifqwo View Post
    If I get "outed" and one of my "friends" finds that offensive I'll just find another friend!
    No problem at the table, and the only one without a CWL will be taking a course soon. She was surprised to find out that we all carried. "Concealed" obviously worked fine among everyone at the table.

They say "Birds of a feather flock together" I find that usually not just my firearms views are shared by my friends,but also ther facets of my life,the people that tend to be on the extreme side don't hang around very long,and I don't try to be something I'm not and will point out obvious lies misconceptions when it comes to topics I'm knowledgeable about.
    At the gun range yesterday somebody claimed they heard from a friend that the M16 was originally made by Mattel Toy Company,I told him his friend was wrong and then told him who really invented it
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

That episode sounds like a good problem for a probability or stats class.

Given that about 6.3% of age eligible folks in FL have permits, what's the likelihood of that many permit carrying, much less firearm carrying, people being at the same table, assuming there was nothing gun related that brought them together in the first place?

WOW!
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links