"Proper" or "Recommended" Retention Level

This is a discussion on "Proper" or "Recommended" Retention Level within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I EDC a Crossbreed Supertuck (horsehide with kydex retention holster). I've been carrying in this holster for a while using the "factory" retention. However, I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar

I EDC a Crossbreed Supertuck (horsehide with kydex retention holster). I've been carrying in this holster for a while using the "factory" retention. However, I'm starting to think that I may want a higher level of retention, which I can easily change. However, I was wondering if there are any general rules or guidelines on how tightly the pistol should be "retained." For example, extreme retention might be the ability to turn the holster upside down without the pistol falling out, or very light retention might be so light that you feel no resistance at all when unholstering. I'm sure the "right" level varies for person to person but I'm looking for some practical and tactical thoughts on this.

I did have a very unnerving experience when (and this is embarrassing) using a public restroom in the enclosed area (if you get my drift) and had my pistol fall to the floor. Thus the reason for my question.

I wanted to add that this carry is IWB and for those not familiar with my holster, it has no retention strap.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

My personal "retention level" is as you described in your "extreme" example...I am able to turn my holster upside down and my G19 stays in the holster...Now, IF I were to shake it upside down, the weapon would come out. This is what I prefer....JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    A common misconception is that retention is the same with the belt loose as it is with the belt tightened. It is not. With every hybrid or full kydex IWB holster I have ever seen, full retention is not achieved until the belt is tightened.

When you loosen your belt (for whatever reason) you need to be cognizant of this fact. Control your firearm with your hand or arm, whatever. Personally, I would not do too much adjusting to the retention dimple as that may tend to slow your draw speed.

If you still feel you require more retention, you may want to look in to another holster with active retention properties.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I agree with the first sgt, tight enough to turn over, but loose enough to shake out. I want to feel the holster catch when I re-holster my firearm.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Along these lines, I have a new Galco Summer Comfort for my 1911 and it is WAY too tight. I've done the whole baggie/twist thing for 2 days straight now and it is a bear to get it out or even back in. Any suggestions? I want it so that it will stay in if turned upside down but falls out if shaken.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    A common misconception is that retention is the same with the belt loose as it is with the belt tightened. It is not. With every hybrid or full kydex IWB holster I have ever seen, full retention is not achieved until the belt is tightened.

When you loosen your belt (for whatever reason) you need to be cognizant of this fact. Control your firearm with your hand or arm, whatever. Personally, I would not do too much adjusting to the retention dimple as that may tend to slow your draw speed.

If you still feel you require more retention, you may want to look in to another holster with active retention properties.
    My kydex holsters provide full retention independent of belt tension. Hybrids by design do not, since the leather backing pieces are not formed to the gun.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    My kydex holsters provide full retention independent of belt tension. Hybrids by design do not, since the leather backing pieces are not formed to the gun.
    Excellent point! I'd never considered that. I think I"m going to adjust my kydex to a higher retention level...and maybe stay out of public restrooms
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Quote Originally Posted by navajo001 View Post
    Along these lines, I have a new Galco Summer Comfort for my 1911 and it is WAY too tight. I've done the whole baggie/twist thing for 2 days straight now and it is a bear to get it out or even back in. Any suggestions? I want it so that it will stay in if turned upside down but falls out if shaken.
    Use 2 or 3 baggies if you have to,the leather will stretch,if one baggie isn't enough then put the gun in a baggie then place it inside the second baggie and cram it into the holster over night
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    Excellent point! I'd never considered that. I think I"m going to adjust my kydex to a higher retention level...and maybe stay out of public restrooms
    Or remove your gun from the holster and lay it inside the "pouch" created in your pants between your ankles.you won't forget your gun when you leave either such as sitting it on the paper dispenser etc
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    Or you can just hold it until you get home.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Or remove your gun from the holster and lay it inside the "pouch" created in your pants between your ankles.you won't forget your gun when you leave either such as sitting it on the paper dispenser etc
    LOL. I relax in a remote wilderness camp and we only have an outhouse. Whenever, you visit the outhouse, you leave your gun in the cabin. I just can't envision the effort it would take to retrieve the gun...

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Use 2 or 3 baggies if you have to,the leather will stretch,if one baggie isn't enough then put the gun in a baggie then place it inside the second baggie and cram it into the holster over night
    Ah! I did try 2 with some success but will throw it in 3 tonight when i get home.

Thanks and sorry to semi derail this thread.

Thank you,

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by navajo001 View Post
    Ah! I did try 2 with some success but will throw it in 3 tonight when i get home.

Thanks and sorry to semi derail this thread.

Thank you,
    sadly I am working on a 3 baggie holster will let you know if I go to 4
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    sadly I am working on a 3 baggie holster will let you know if I go to 4
    Maybe we should start an office pool and see how many bags we can get to! HA!

Mine is still so tight it pops the belt snaps when drawing or reholstering. NOT good.

Depends. Final answer.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links