The wait is how long? I feel like I just moved to NY.

This is a discussion on The wait is how long? I feel like I just moved to NY. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I submitted the a paper work, picture, and everything to my County Clerk's office today. While giving me further instructions (where to go to get ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: The wait is how long? I feel like I just moved to NY.

The wait is how long? I feel like I just moved to NY.

I submitted the a paper work, picture, and everything to my County Clerk's office today. While giving me further instructions (where to go to get finger pinted) I was told that the wait will be about 5 MONTHS. At first I thought I heard her wrong, so I inquired... Nope it is 5 months.

Irony is everywhere else in Michigan (form what I hear on other forum boards) the wait in most of the other counties does not exceed 2 to 3 months.

I looked into it further, and found that the time clock does not start until the gun board gets all my info... The County Clerk provides them the info, and from what I have been told, she is anti gun. Personally, in an era of computers, electronic records, and the Internet, it should not take 5 months to respond to anyone for anything.

I don't know what my options are at this point. Anyone have any suggestions?

Maybe I should get an OWB holster and fill it with rocks. When anyone asks that it is, I can explain to them that my County wants me to wait as long as possible before I can carry anything more powerful.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Get a sling shot to go with those rocks. I submitted my paperwork here in Tennessee the day after Christmas. I got a letter in the mail last Thursday that told me my fingerprints were unreadable. It took them 60 days to figure out that my digitally scanned fingerprints were unreadable at the FBI office when the machine had them all at 90% or better. BTW, I am a Federal employee with a TS clearance, so my prints are on file with the FBI.

So, I went last Friday and got reprinted. I hope that doesn't start the 90 day clock running over again. Good luck.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

This stuff really bothers me. They need to add the fee, wait, fingerprints, "list", etc. to the second amendment....don't see it there. Imagine if freedom of speech and freedom from search & seizure required the same nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    I looked into it further, and found that the time clock does not start until the gun board gets all my info... The County Clerk provides them the info, and from what I have been told, she is anti gun.
    This is exactly why many states have statutes that dictate shall-issue and the maximum time for which any CHL approval/denial can take. There's no excuse for an anti-gunner to drag the feet on this sort of thing, other than petty political bias and deliberate, conscious failure to protect, defend and uphold the Constitution and laws of the state, which all hirelings have been hired to do. A background check and (at worst) contacting a couple of your references (if your state CHL process requires such a thing) can't take but a couple hours of actual time; there's no way it should be a 5mos delay.

Does your state have any specific time limit in the statutes?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    In Mass., the law says applications must be processed within 40 days. The current wait is at least 10 weeks. The volume of applications (they claim) has just overwhelmed the system at the state and local police level. Ridiculous! They made the law (the state) they should live by their own laws.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

VIP Member
    Here in VA they have 45 days to approve or deny. If they are not complete in 45 days they must send you a certified copy of your application, which serves as a permit until they finish the process.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    Get a sling shot to go with those rocks. I submitted my paperwork here in Tennessee the day after Christmas. I got a letter in the mail last Thursday that told me my fingerprints were unreadable. It took them 60 days to figure out that my digitally scanned fingerprints were unreadable at the FBI office when the machine had them all at 90% or better. BTW, I am a Federal employee with a TS clearance, so my prints are on file with the FBI.

So, I went last Friday and got reprinted. I hope that doesn't start the 90 day clock running over again. Good luck.
    Wouldn't recommend a sling shot in Florida, it's against the law.

In Missouri if they don't approve or deny the application within 45 days, it is approved by default. Great way to handle this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    In Missouri if they don't approve or deny the application within 45 days, it is approved by default. Great way to handle this.
    IMO, that's absolutely the way it should occur. Kudos to MO citizens and their reps for getting that one on the books.
    MJClark likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

wow...Genesee Co had mine mailed to me in 3 weeks from when I submitted it......and this was during a record breaking time of applications being submitted.
    MJClark likes this.

I LOVE FL renewal,, Walked in sat down,, They called my name 15 min later CWFL in hand ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Recieved mine in KY within 60 days. State law says "shall issue/deny" within 90 days.

I live in Michigan and it took less than 2 months. The County Clerk told me the same thing and I didn't say "BOO". I just said a word of thanks and walked out of County Building.

These individuals are overwhelmed with Concealed Weapon Permits by the way. Be patient and before you know you will have your Carry License..

PA seems to have an express lane in some counties. I love it!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frado View Post
    I live in Michigan and it took less than 2 months. The County Clerk told me the same thing and I didn't say "BOO". I just said a word of thanks and walked out of County Building.

These individuals are overwhelmed with Concealed Weapon Permits by the way. Be patient and before you know you will have your Carry License..

I was still very polite and just inquired about the time because I thought that there was no way that they would say 5 months. My guess is you did not get your permit in a county that starts with K and ends in "ent".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links