Outing a CC holder

Outing a CC holder

This is a discussion on Outing a CC holder within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, been lurking and reading up on CC in general and firearm choice. I work in a retail setting. I had been talking with a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Outing a CC holder

Outing a CC holder

Hello, been lurking and reading up on CC in general and firearm choice.

I work in a retail setting. I had been talking with a guy who I work about a CC firearm. A customer which this coworker knew came in and my coworker asked if I could check out his gun. I myself believe its a "don't ask don't tell" kind of deal but he willing pulled it out dropped the clip and handed it to me. It was a well worn and used Ruger that he had been carrying for a while.

I myself feel more comfortable knowing that we have good customers coming in carrying. More than likely nothing would happen when someone was there but even though I don't really know him that well I do feel he is trustworthy and a level headed individual.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts, at this time... I'm concerned that he only dropped the mag... before handing it to you.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

...dropped the clip...and handed it to you...where's the part about racking the slide to remove the one in the barrel and locking the slide back and you verifying that it was not loaded as you took it from him??? them's my thoughts...

...blitzy's got the fastest fingers!!!

Outing a CC holder

I guess I failed to note that he doesn't carry with one chambered and double checked before handing it over.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

...I guess you did...thanks for clearing that up...grey hair worries 'bout the basics...that's how we got to HAVE grey hair...

...NOW...an older Ruger...P95, P97, P89 or P90 would be a great CCW...decocker is preferred to safety model by this old dog...and stainless because of the summer sweating...oughta find 'em used in the $350-375 range...money well spent...any of the above...have been more reliable than the newer models...
    vilecanards likes this.

Outing a CC holder

Yeah I apologize for not mentioning that earlier. To myself that would be more or less common sense so I did not mention it. (I did admit myself the noob so I brought in on myself). I wouldn't touch it if I hadnt seen him clear it.

Aside from my failure to state that what does everyone think? Is this like sitting on someone else's motorcycle without asking?

I don't pull my gun out in public settings to show it off,It's my mindset that a holstered gun doesn't just go off,and knowing my luck that moment I hand my cleared gun to somebody is probably the exact moment somebody decides to rob the place.I will share my wisdom about concealed carry and firearms to anybody that is interested,and have taken numerous people to the gun range,but I'm not a fan of people handling guns in a business that isn't gun related,just imagine if an LEO walks in and sees a guy holding a gun,I can tell you that his next words aren't gonna be "Hello Nice Day isn't it"
    RoadKill likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

To me, it pretty much defeats the purpose of carrying concealed if you're going to tell everybody that you're carrying.
    DaGunny and RoadKill like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

So a friend of a co worker came in. Co worker knows he carries. Co worker knows you are interested. Conversation ensues. Friend makes gun safe and lets you look at it. Meh, no biggie IMO. I can't tell you how many times I've seen it in gun shops.

If I was in that situation the only issue I would want to be sure of is that we had a safe place to clear the gun and look at it away from most of the public. Don't want to scare granny because I'm pulling out a concealed pistol. She may have one too.
    phreddy and Rock and Glock like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I think you both should have been working instead of playing with guns. Did all this somehow help you make a sale?

Quote Originally Posted by zMailman View Post
    I guess I failed to note that he doesn't carry with one chambered and double checked before handing it over.

Why does he carry a heavy paperweight?

I will ask people what they carry if I can tell they are and we are already engaged in conversation. My wife and I see it as a game if we can tell when someone is carrying. I have never had someone not answer or play it off like they weren't carrying, they have usually looked at me, paused for a second and then tell me what they carry.

Ok, so where exactly is this place of business? Meaning, if I went into my local gun store and my buddy who works there asked me about my conceal carry piece, I might unholster and show off a bit. But if I'm in a Walmart, Target, Dick's Sporting Goods, the mall, Dillard's, JCP, basically anywhere where there are a lot of people and it doesn't happen to be a gun store, I'd first say, "Sure, come on by the house when y'all get off work and you can check it out." I might even offer to take them shooting, if 9mm wasn't so hard to come by these days. But the follow-up conversation would go like this: "Hey buddy. I gotta tell you something over here." And pull my "buddy" aside: "Dude, it's not cool to tell people I'm carrying. Some people are a bit buggy about it. In the future, please don't discuss my conceal carry status with anyone. If you want to talk guns, that's cool. Simply ask me first." One thing I would NEVER do: Unholster in a public space just to show a buddy or a buddy of a buddy my carry piece. NEVER! Safety check, etc. When you hear stories of accidental discharges, you KNOW all those began with a safety check, and yet the gun STILL went bang!
    Snub44 likes this.

...one night about 11:00 pm...I was making the rounds of my beat, and had my lights off as I approached a secluded 7-11...saw a car backed up to the front door...lights off...motor running...I stopped by the end of the store...eased up to the front door, and saw:
    ...man in front of the counter holding a revolver aimed straight at mgr(who I knew) and a clerk beside mgr...they both had their hands on the counter...piles of cash on the counter...the man with the gun was talking...I eased the door open with my .45 on him and told him if he moved, he died...he froze and I started to him...the mgr stammered and stumbled and finally got out that it was OK...he was a friend...after I took the gun from his hand, I found that it was a 1890s Colt...and he'd come up to show it to the mgr, who was checking up before closing...it was unloaded....but had he turned the least bit, he'd have died...because he was stupid...

...you don't show off guns in a public, non-gun environment...where something like that can happen...or someone have a heart attack, or go into labor, or run through a glass...because they misread what was happening...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links