Do You Carry A KNIFE for SELF-DEFENSE Purposes?

This is a discussion on Do You Carry A KNIFE for SELF-DEFENSE Purposes? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just took my first professional handgun training class (2 days). We got into a discussion about knives and the instructor, who always carries a ...

View Poll Results: Do You Carry A Knife For SELF-DEFENSE Purposes?

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

175 68.36%
  • NO

81 31.64%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Do You Carry A KNIFE for SELF-DEFENSE Purposes?

Do You Carry A KNIFE for SELF-DEFENSE Purposes?

I just took my first professional handgun training class (2 days). We got into a discussion about knives and the instructor, who always carries a knife and gun, encouraged carrying a knife for a close-in attack, when you may not have the time or space required to use a gun effectively.

Just curious how many gun owners also carry a knife for SELF-DEFENSE.

If so, what type of knife do you carry and have you taken a knife training course.

Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I do carry a knife, but it's more for opening boxes and utility work. If necessary, it's large enough to be pressed into drastic crisis emergency self defense use, but that's like saying I could defend myself with a ball-point pen in an emergency if needed.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

I carry a knife for all general purposes. Defense is one, yes if need be.
    surefire7, revldm and RichB70 like this.

I carry a Ka-Bar TDI on my weak side...

Haven't had any training with it... but if the need arises I think I can manage not to slice myself...

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I carry one, but not for defensive purposes.
    revldm likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by pattywak View Post
    I do carry a knife, but it's more for opening boxes and utility work. If necessary, it's large enough to be pressed into drastic crisis emergency self defense use, but that's like saying I could defend myself with a ball-point pen in an emergency if needed.
    Same-o same-o here. However, my ball point pen is a "tactical" modle and it CAN inflict sever damage if used "properly".
    pattywak and maniacmechanic like this.

GH
    I carry an assisted opening Kershaw knife. It was a gift from my son. He gave each man in his wedding party one plus the two dads. I carry it as a backup for my handgun.
    GhostMaker, QKShooter and RichB70 like this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

As noted in another knife thread, I carry a HideAWayKnife (HAK) in my left hand front pants pocket. Though I do use it like a box cutter, that is only to condition my left hand to retrieve the knife. It's true purpose is as a support side weapon, whether its because that's all I can access either because of time/distance/etc. Or, as a weapon retention tool in the event of a grab. The Spyderco folder in the right pocket is a day to day tool as well, and would also come in as a defensive measure.

dan

I voted yes but thought I would explain.

I don't carry a knife specifically for self defense. I'm not a knife fighter and would never want to be, but I do know how to fight with a knife.

I carry a knife or two everyday. But they have always used for general utility tasks. Naturally, if I needed it for self defense, I would use it if I had to. I prefer to use my gun as my primary lethal force option. Which is why I carry a gun.

While you never know what kind of situation you are going to find yourself in, and what tool you will ultimately use... I feel my most likely use of the knife would be if I was in a hand-to-hand stuggle which otherwise would not be a lethal force situation, and the person I was fighting with attempted to disarm me, or snatch my gun out of it's holster.

Which is why it's always best to avoid even the minor conflicts.

When you carry a gun... it's very easy for a minor dispute to get out of hand and develop into a lethal force situation. All it takes is some drunk guy getting into a shouting match with you and the next thing you know, he wants to fight you. The drunk takes a swing, and now your in a fight with an unarmed drunk.

Ordinarily, that's not a situation where you would shoot someone. But now you're rolling around on the floor with this guy and he sees your gun and tries to take it (you can see where it's going from there). It's nice to have a knife available at that point to try and keep him from taking your gun and killing you. It's definitely become a lethal force situation at that point.
    surefire7 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I carry one of those really high end Smith and Wesson knives from big 5, they run about $12. That one is for defense, my case knife was an anniversary gift and not, generally, considered for defense.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I just started carrying a knife also on my weak side. It's a Smith & Wesson Black Ops. Razor sharp and great balance.

I carry a knife, that could be used if needed for self defense purposes, but like Bark'n suggested, I don't ever want to be in a knife fight. So mostly it is used for utility.

However it is generally kept sharp enough to shave with just in case.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I carry a lock-back knife, clipped to my left pants pocket, which can be used if my right hand is out of action. There are a couple with dual thumbstuds so they can be opened by either hand.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CigarStix View Post
    I just took my first professional handgun training class (2 days). We got into a discussion about knives and the instructor, who always carries a knife and gun, encouraged carrying a knife for a close-in attack, when you may not have the time or space required to use a gun effectively.

Just curious how many gun owners also carry a knife for SELF-DEFENSE.

If so, what type of knife do you carry and have you taken a knife training course.

A thought: if you are attacked close in where you do not have the time or space to draw a gun, what makes anyone think you will have the time and space to draw a knife, instead? Especially of the folding variety, which must then also be opened.

I carry two knives, one of which was designed for self-defense purposes, but I don't carry them for the express purpose of self defense.
    Hakkaa päälle!

As others have said, not primarily for self-defense but more utilitarian resons. If needed, yes, it will be used. Benchmade Griptillian or Barrage or Stryker.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links