Va CHP holder needs help transitioning from Old Law prior to 2010

This is a discussion on Va CHP holder needs help transitioning from Old Law prior to 2010 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A Va CHP holder believes he is still bound by the Old Law regarding the transport of his handgun which required the handgun to be ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Exacto

Thread: Va CHP holder needs help transitioning from Old Law prior to 2010

A Va CHP holder believes he is still bound by the Old Law regarding the transport of his handgun which required the handgun to be unloaded and located separately from ammo and out of reach. He misundersood the 2012 Attorney General's Opinion and thought that it excluded CHP holders because it that states in part that "persons who may lawfully possess a firearm but has not been issued a concealed weapons permit may possess,"etc... I referred him to the 2010 Va Code 18.2-308(B)(l 0) but an explanation in layman terms maybe more helpful. If anyone has any suggestions on how to explain the code or the Attorney General's Opinion, please do.

VIP Member
    What?...explain what to whom. I'm unclear on the post.

Did he have to take a class to get his license? If so have him ask the Instructor what is legal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylron View Post
    A Va CHP holder believes he is still bound by the Old Law regarding the transport of his handgun which required the handgun to be unloaded and located separately from ammo and out of reach. He misundersood the 2012 Attorney General's Opinion and thought that it excluded CHP holders because it that states in part that "persons who may lawfully possess a firearm but has not been issued a concealed weapons permit may possess,"etc... I referred him to the 2010 Va Code 18.2-308(B)(l 0) but an explanation in layman terms maybe more helpful. If anyone has any suggestions on how to explain the code or the Attorney General's Opinion, please do.
    Are you saying that someone who actually holds a CHP is possibly not allowed to carry it and must
    keep it locked up? That might be true if the CHP is from a state where there is no reciprocity with
    VA, but if you have a license from your own state it sure would seem odd that you should have to keep[
    it locked away. So, I guess I don't really understand the question. Fortunately for you there are plenty
    of participants here from Va who can help you, but I think you need to clarify your question.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Check with DaveH. He should be able to give you the updates on new Va. gun laws
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Are you saying that someone who actually holds a CHP is possibly not allowed to carry it and must
    keep it locked up? That might be true if the CHP is from a state where there is no reciprocity with
    VA, but if you have a license from your own state it sure would seem odd that you should have to keep[
    it locked away. So, I guess I don't really understand the question. Fortunately for you there are plenty
    of participants here from Va who can help you, but I think you need to clarify your question.
    Yes he believes he must keep it locked up as he was taught in CCW class in 2005. Thanks for your response but I now believe that he should simply retake a CCW class and get caught up on current law by an instructor or a person he considers to be of an authority.

Maybe he needs to be a member of Virginia Citizens Defense League | Defending Your Right to Defend Yourself

Seriously...he has a permit to carry, but thinks he needs to keep it locked up during transport? The intent was for those without a permit to be allowed to keep a loaded firearm in a secured container.

He needs reading comprehension on the VA code.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    What?...explain what to whom. I'm unclear on the post.
    Sorry to cause confusion but my friend who had convinced me to get a CHP in 2005 was instructed in that CCW class the safest way to transport his handgun was to travel with it locked up in his trunk with ammo in separate location and out of reach. I'm trying to convince him that this is not an requirement according to 2010 Amended Va code which apllication of the amended lawwas confirmed by the Attorney Generals Opinion of 2012. Though this information is posted on the Virginia State Police Web site, he believes that the AG's opinion is intended for and applies to Open Carry of non-permit holders. In summary, he believes that there is no changes in the law from what he was taught in 2005 as it pertains to CHP holders. I hope this clarifies my post. Thanks for your response.

What's the point of having a concealed handgun permit if you can't have it on you in the car loaded????
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Does he not have access to Virginia gun laws. Part of his responsibility that goes hand in hand with his right to carry a firearm is to know the law.
    Jetfuelrm likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

"The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Links