Anyone CC'ing a Ruger LC9 safety on or safety off

This is a discussion on Anyone CC'ing a Ruger LC9 safety on or safety off within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was considering picking one of these up, but none of my current CC guns have a manual safety. Was wondering if there were any issues ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Anyone CC'ing a Ruger LC9 safety on or safety off

Was considering picking one of these up, but none of my current CC guns have a manual safety. Was wondering if there were any issues carrying this without the safety on?

2. Remove Ads

has a seven pound trigger, a "magazine safety" the hammer does partially cock when the slide is racked though; normally firearms don't fire without pulling the trigger, with that being said though I carry my SR40 with one in the tube safety on
    Ksgunner likes this.

Distinguished Member Array pipedream's Avatar
    Safety is quite stiff and always off on mine. Round always chambered and no problems.
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

I carry mine with one in the chamber and the safety on. I don't think the safety is stiff at all, I find it easy to disengage.

If you ever carried a 1911, it's the same motion to flick the safety off. I carry mine with the safety on and one in the chamber...
    Tony

My EDC is an LC9. I carry with a round chambered, safety off, trigger covered by holster. If a Glock is safe to carry with a round chambered without the use of a manual safety, why not an LC9 with a long, 7 pound trigger pull?
    Lish likes this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    My EDC is an LC9. I carry with a round chambered, safety off, trigger covered by holster. If a Glock is safe to carry with a round chambered without the use of a manual safety, why not an LC9 with a long, 7 pound trigger pull?
    This was my thoughts as well. I carry and LCP as a BUG, which has no safety, and they seem to have basically the same trigger. I don't want to have to change the way I do things, draw etc, because none of my EDC's have a safety, sounds like if I leave it off I should not have any trouble. Ever accidentally turn the safety on?

Quote Originally Posted by baruffic View Post
    This was my thoughts as well. I carry and LCP as a BUG, which has no safety, and they seem to have basically the same trigger. I don't want to have to change the way I do things, draw etc, because none of my EDC's have a safety, sounds like if I leave it off I should not have any trouble. Ever accidentally turn the safety on?
    I think that "accidentally" turning the safety on would be impossible. To put the safety on, I have to turn the gun sideways and firmly push up with the tip of my thumb. It won't go on with an upward swipe of the thumb like a 1911 will do. It will swipe off easily like a 1911.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

No issues for me. I carry it safety off. However, I make sure to swipe my thumb down over the safety when I practice drawing just in case it gets turned on. The safety would only come on if I put it on though, because as others have stated it is very stiff and highly unlikely that it would accidentally be bumped to the on position.

VIP Member
    I edc a LC9 chambered and safety off.

I rarely carry my LC9 but when I do it is with the safety off. The trigger pull is hard enough to act as another safety measure.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I don't own any guns with a manual safety, but I would never use one on a self defense gun. I'm a waterfowl hunter and I've forgotten to disengage the safety a few times when a duck suddenly flew by. In the excitement, my instinct was to point and shoot. I missed the shot because the safety was on. Hunting isn't life or death and I'm more concerned about the safety of my fellow hunters since we often rest our guns against the blind.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I carry an LC9 with the safety on. It is just 2nd nature for me to pull my weapon and turn the safety off as I am acquiring a target. But I do believe the weapon is plenty safe to carry without the safety on if you wanted too...

chambered with safety on...no problem with the flick of the thumb for the safety...

Before my XDs, I carried my LC9 with one in the chamber and the safety off. I'm a lefty and the safety in not ambidextrous. I don't know why Ruger put one on the LC9. The LCP is basically the same gun in .380 and it has no safety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links