Visibility of your CCW endorsement by another state

This is a discussion on Visibility of your CCW endorsement by another state within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having some relatives in law enforcement here in Missouri, I'm up pretty up to speed on what they already know about me or don't know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Visibility of your CCW endorsement by another state

Visibility of your CCW endorsement by another state

Having some relatives in law enforcement here in Missouri, I'm up pretty up to speed on what they already know about me or don't know about me when an officer approaches the car. It varies by the type of search they run. My question however, pertains to the transportation of a firearm through the state of Illinois. Obviously not a gun friendly state and if an officer is able to see my CCW endorsement when he runs any checks (should I be pulled over). I obviously would not carry it on my person when driving over there, but I use the state as a passageway once in a while to get where I'm going. The pointed question is, can an out of state officer (local or trooper) see my endorsement?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It would depend on whether your permit is linked to your drivers license. I believe (may be mistaken) that it is in MO.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

@archer51 -Thanks for the welcome. I have the endorsement on a non-drivers license so that it is not physically present on my driver's license, just not sure how much info comes up when an out of state officer runs it. I'd hate to get asked about it if I'm just trying to pass through the state peaceably.

Endorsement seen or not...
    Empty gun, locked in trunk with empty mags and ammo stored separately, you would be good for travel thru Russia or China...in IL, I think you'll be good to go...follow the speed limits carefully!

Additional Note About IL:

Illinois Concealed Carry Permit Information

Vehicle Carry:
    There is more than one way to legally transport a firearm. However, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, it is recommended all firearms be transported:

Unloaded,
    Enclosed in a case and,
    By persons who have a valid FOID card.

Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:

Unloaded, and
    Enclosed in a case, and
    Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Actually the ammo does not have to be stored separately. More so, the gun does not have to be locked in the trunk. It only must be in "a container". For example, the Illinois Supreme Court ruled that the center console of a vehicle is a container for purposes of transporting a firearm in illinois. (Don't count on the average cop to know this, however.)
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Or avoid IL altogether.
    BamaT, Stevew, RETSUPT99 and 1 others like this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

I think that unless it says CCW (or whatever your state calls it) right there on your drivers license, and out of state LEO is not going to know about it. I think that even if it is tied to DL that is only a Home State link.

I doubt other state LEOs have your CCW permit info. And as long as the gun is unloaded and enclosed in a case, you're good. You can even keep ammo in the same case. However be aware that Illinois' weapons law does not preempt local ordinances which could make it illegal to have a gun in your car. I wish I did not have to travel in Illinois but my aging parents live there.

I am driving from southern MO to Nashville, TN tomorrow and I will have to go through about 1 mile of Illinois south of Cairo. Hopefully, I can risk it on that little one mile stretch.

In Michigan the CPL endorsement is tied to vehicles through your registered license plate so yes they see it. I explained this to my wife and daughter since all my vehicles are in my name they should be prepared to answer is their a weapon in your car if an officer pulls them over.

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoodz View Post
    In Michigan the CPL endorsement is tied to vehicles through your registered license plate so yes they see it. I explained this to my wife and daughter since all my vehicles are in my name they should be prepared to answer is their a weapon in your car if an officer pulls them over.
    When you say "so yes they sit it", I assume only Michigan LEOs see it, not when your car is out of state.

I would assume that any officer running those tags has the ability to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I am driving from southern MO to Nashville, TN tomorrow and I will have to go through about 1 mile of Illinois south of Cairo. Hopefully, I can risk it on that little one mile stretch.
    never take a risk that could lose your ability to carry or own a firearm.

I am not convinced that an Illinos LOE would know what a CCW endorsement ment if it showed up on your drivers license. I am sure they have never saw one from their home state. I would just drive around Illinos. I sure would n0ot spend any money in Illinos.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I know we are talking about Chicago here, but you are covered by federal transportation of firearms law assuming it is unloaded and encased properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links