Concealed carry permit online?

This is a discussion on Concealed carry permit online? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://concealedcarryacademy.com advertises an online permit course: "My online course fulfills the training requirements for Virginia and Arizona. Combined, these two permits allow you to carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Concealed carry permit online?

http://concealedcarryacademy.com advertises an online permit course:

"My online course fulfills the training requirements for Virginia and Arizona. Combined, these two permits allow you to carry concealed in up to 36 states..."

Is this legitimate? Has anyone taken the course?
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Can't speak for Arizona, but Virginia does allow on line training. Would need to check with VA to insure his course meets the requirements.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    For $97 bucks I wouldn't do it. I took the NRA Basic Pistol and Utah CCW course for $100 (instructor is Utah certified) and that was more hands on than any internet course will ever be.
    southernwi likes this.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Take a local course . Most state require you to shoot and be judged by your instructor as to ability.

. Learn your states laws first then go to US carry's site and see that you then can carry in 35 states currently not 37, might have been 37 a few weeks back. Remember to allways check a states laws for options you have there as laws change.
    Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

mox
    I would be very hesitant to take an online course, even if it meets the criteria for your jurisdiction. (mine won't accept online courses) Couple weeks ago I ran through the course at concealedcarryonline.com. It's free to take the course, they only charge you for generating the certificate. Anyway, the course is a complete joke. Took me just over a half hour to go through it, and it only barely scratches the surface. Furthermore, each "chapter test" is a joke. Multiple choice where at least two of the four answers are ridiculous, and often three of them are. You almost cannot fail this course. I shudder to think about the people who are out there carrying with no more training than that online course.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you're not a VA or AZ resident, a permit from either would be no good in FL.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I encourage you to go take your local course. Chances are your instructor will have a bunch of years of real world experience that can't be duplicated in an online course. Mine was a LEO and I learned as much shooting the bull with him during the breaks as I did during the formal course.

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    Ultimate Concealed Carry Experience advertises an online permit course:

"My online course fulfills the training requirements for Virginia and Arizona. Combined, these two permits allow you to carry concealed in up to 36 states..."

I took mine online from vaguntraining.com. It is way cheaper.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Thanks for sharing link. i needed.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    I think it would be legit. Some states, like mine, you don't even have to do a training course. Just fill out paper work and give them money. But I do agree with others that a live course it much better. Its better to not "learn" some things online, even if it is an option.

Sent from my DROID RAZR cuz robots are cooler than fruit.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    Ultimate Concealed Carry Experience advertises an online permit course:

Concealed Carry Academy is not on Arizona's master list of all approved trainers: Training Organizations: Concealed Weapons & Permits - Arizona Department of Public Safety

However, LegalHeat is not on that list, either, even-though I know Arizona honors LegalHeat because that's the class I took to get my Arizona non-resident permit.

If you're willing to put up $100 on a gamble that AZ will reject your application, you can still get your money back, it would just be a waist of time. You're not braking any law so it's completely up to you. If you try it, please let us know if AZ accepts or rejects the class.

Quote Originally Posted by RightyLefty View Post
    For $97 bucks I wouldn't do it. I took the NRA Basic Pistol and Utah CCW course for $100 (instructor is Utah certified) and that was more hands on than any internet course will ever be.
    I paid $75 for a no hands-on class and got my Utah non-resident with it.

Florida is smart in that they won't even accept your DD214 unless you include your BCT certificate showing a pistol qualification.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you're not a VA or AZ resident, a permit from either would be no good in FL.
    Yeah that's a funny thing since FL will honor resident permits from states that don't require any kind of class to get their permit.

Starting July 1, Kansas will recognize all state permits. But, if you live in Kansas you better have a Kansas permit in your pocket.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Can someone please explain to me what the purpose of an online course is that will allow anyone to obtain a CCWP? Why bother with a course--just have the applicant fill out a form and be done with it. I do not know what kind of questions an online course could possibly ask that anyone with half a brain could not answer blindfolded, deaf and dumb. Even the intensive course I went through in SC had a "written test" at the end of the day's activities that could be answered even if you fell asleep. At least the activities before the test included intensive classroom instruction by a competent deputy sheriff who went over all things related to handguns from handling, mechanisms, law etc etc, and target shooting to a standard of competency that also included careful observation of your gun handling. I guess if you live in the square miles wilds of "who knows where" with a population of less than 100 not counting yourself this maybe can be understood, but I would venture to say that most people applying for CCWPs live among enough people that common sense should trump unbridled access under 2A. Please-----no reply on 2A, I get it!! Just expressing MY opinion--whether you like it or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links