Full size owb in the summer?

This is a discussion on Full size owb in the summer? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Trying out my Glock 22 with my blackhawk serpa around the house today and I'm amazed at how comfortable it is even with the weight ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Full size owb in the summer?

Trying out my Glock 22 with my blackhawk serpa around the house today and I'm amazed at how comfortable it is even with the weight of a full on my flimsy belt (wilderness tactical belt will be here in 2 days). I can see this being feasible for CC in the cooler months but any guys out there get away with a similar set up in the summer?

Side note- I do have a 26 and a hybrid iwb holster that are rather comfortable but not so much as the owb- owb with the 22 would be preferred when I camp and hike

OWB with the 22 is quite possible in the summer if you can find lightweight cover garments. i use an un-tucked shirt, preferably a random print pattern, which breaks up the gun's outline better than a solid color shirt. i also have some lightweight vests to cover my gun. another technique is to wear a tucked in t-shirt and an un-tucked short sleeved shirt like a jacket to hide my gun.

just watch how you move - don't reach up for something with your gun arm, which might expose the gun - use the other arm. squat down, rather than bending over at the waist, which might cause your gun to print.

Thanks for the tips. Guess I have some shopping to do

During the summer, I usually wear khaki shorts and athletic fit type Under Armour or Nike Dri-Fit tees... And despite that, I often carry a fullsize 1911 in a OWB holster very similar to the Galco Combat Master.

I only carry OWB. Find a quality holster that holds the gun tight to your body and smooths it out, it'll be much easier to conceal. A Serpa sticks out like dog balls.
    Takeem406 likes this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

It really just depends on the wardrobe concessions you are willing to make. With a large enough shirt you can conceal pretty much anything.
    rugergunner likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Administrator
    but any guys out there get away with a similar set up in the summer?

I sure would not ever consider a Blackhawk Serpa for Summer concealed carry.

A good quality leather pancake style holster that pulls the firearm in close to the body...preferably a holster with a forward cant to move the gun butt up & coupled with a good gun belt and an oversize T-Shirt would sure work.
    smolck and Bmoliv66 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Here in Californistan's hot central valley it's out of the question to wear a cover garment. I've resorted to a good canvas off body bag that attaches to my belt and has a strap that goes over the opposite shoulder. Anybody with a lick of sense knows I'm pack'n but it IS concealed and it allows me to carry THREE extra magazines plus me cell phone. It's not ideal but it gitzer done!

Quote Originally Posted by Bmoliv66 View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Guess I have some shopping to do

try thrift stores for a selection of cheap clothes to experiment with.

Serpa? Not unless it's under a jacket. But I do carry in this about 99% of the time. Even in shorts and a t shirt in the summer.

carracer likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Serpa? Not unless it's under a jacket. But I do carry in this about 99% of the time. Even in shorts and a t shirt in the summer.

What holster is that? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    . A Serpa sticks out like dog balls.
    I almost choked while trying to drink my soda!!! Very true though.

I conceal carry a full-sized S&W M&P 40 with tactical light in a Raven phantom modular holster and also a spare mag on the other side. I usually wear a ScotteVest classic vest to cover everything up and don't have to worry about inadvertently revealing anything. The vest is also light weight enough to wear unless it really gets hot. If it does I just wear one of Cabela's covert shirts, which is also long enough to conceal everything. The shirts have a chest-level pocket so if I need to dress light I can still carry my M&P Shield 40 in the pocket. Likewise, the classic vests have plenty of pockets (22, I think) so I can carry everything including the kitchen sink just about.

So, the short answer is with the right attire it's easy to conceal a full-sized handgun.

I prefer an OWB pancake. I prefer holsters that pull the gun close to the body. The Serpa stuck out to much for my tastes.

I have a Serpa that I bought back when I had a G22, the G27 fits in it also. I've carried the G27 in it strong side OWB under a nylon jacket and moderate cant with no problem. Another option with the Serpa that you can do is reverse cant it and use it like a crossdraw setup.
    carracer likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links