Friends wife attacked by pitbull, shoots dog

This is a discussion on Friends wife attacked by pitbull, shoots dog within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A local business acquaintance's wife heard a ruckus coming from their chicken coup so she goes out to investigate. She is surprised by a mature ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Friends wife attacked by pitbull, shoots dog

A local business acquaintance's wife heard a ruckus coming from their chicken coup so she goes out to investigate. She is surprised by a mature black and white pitbull which turns and leaps at her. She put her right arm up to block the attack and it latches onto her hand/wrist and she is thrown to the ground. Her husband (licensed ccw) came running out and shot the dog off of her.

She has undergone two surgeries so far to treat three different infections. They said it was from the dog killing and eating five chickens and then biting into her hand.

I saw her today and she is doing good and is in good spirits. And proudly showed me a pic of the dead pitbull.

Just goes to show, carry all the time and anywhere you are allowed by law! It's not only two legged creatures you might have to protect your loved ones from.
    mano3 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

It could have been a lot worse. Glad the husband didn't need to rely on a Bic pen or urinating on the dog (a la Colorado).

I am assuming that there was a police report and the owner will be held responsible?

Glad the lady is OK, it could have been a lot worse.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jjxj View Post

She has undergone two surgeries so far to treat three different infections. They said it was from the dog killing and eating five chickens and then biting into her hand.

I saw her today and she is doing good and is in good spirits. And proudly showed me a pic of the dead pitbull.
    So has the Dog Owner ponyed up for the damages? Has LEOs done anything about the attack?

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Ruckus in my chicken coop = a quick trip to the gun safe for the shotty. And NOT just to blast it in the air. (Just in case Mr. Biden's reading this)
    ccman and mano3 like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

She's pretty lucky. She could have ended up with a debilitating loss of use of that hand if any nerve and tendon damage had incurred from the bite.

I do hope the dogs owner has been identified and will cover all medical expenses plus the loss of the chickens without having to drag his ass in front of Judge Judy, or Judge Joe Brown. She has a sure case with damages!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member
    I'm very glad her husband was home and able to put the dog down. Was it a stray? I hope she recovers quickly with full use of her hand and arm. As bad as it was, it could have been so much worse.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    Probably a roaming/wild dog, and the owner will be hard to find.
    Never go out to investigate sounds that are out of the ordinary, or or "thngs" that are out of place.
    This guys wife is exhibit A as to why not.
    Hopefully they will keep an eye on the infection for a while as a precautionary, and be certain it is gone.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Probably a roaming/wild dog, and the owner will be hard to find.
    Never go out to investigate sounds that are out of the ordinary, or or "thngs" that are out of place.
    This guys wife is exhibit A as to why not.
    Hopefully they will keep an eye on the infection for a while as a precautionary, and be certain it is gone.
    More appropriate for urban dwellers than people who live in a rural or suburban area. People who own livestock, and other animals need to go check on what's causing the disturbance. Especially with chickens. A person could lose a lot of money and income if they called the police to investigate every time the chickens started squawking.

For one, the police in those areas typically have very long response times and the wait time alone could result in a considerable loss of income producing property. Also, it wouldn't take long before they refuse to respond for those kind of issues at your place.

However, if you're going to go out and investigate.. you better be ready and capable of confronting the threat, whether it be a 4-legged predator or a 2-legged one.

as mprp pointed out in his post; "Ruckus in my chicken coop = a quick trip to the gun safe for the shotty."
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Didn't get to talk to her about the details, but do know it was a neighbors dog. And not sure if she has her CCW. Something to think about, she's right handed and the dog had her by that hand and once thrown to the ground wouldn't have been able to get to a weapon if she carried one? Gets you to thinking.

Distinguished Member
    I agree with Bark'n, in rural areas you have to protect yourself and your property. Response times may be long due to the area the LEOs have to patrol. Perhaps he should have taken a weapon with her. So glad she is going to be OK. The dog's owner will most likely not be located.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Glad she`s ok and Good Shooting to her Husband!!!!!.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Kudos to the husband for being prepared. I'm glad it looks like the wife will be OK. Still, she won't know for a while yet.

We have several kinds of fowl and miniature donkeys as well and typically we will lose some birds to the occasional eagle or owl. One afternoon I was at my workbench and happened to look up just in time to see bobcat walk past the window with a duck in his mouth. I ran out the door with the only weapon I could lay my hands on quickly enough, and whacked him on the butt with the hoe. He dropped the bird and ran off. The shotgun and rifle were ready to go but out of reach upstairs. This same cat had been around before and had walked by not six feet from my wife once in the orchard. I now carry when out and about even on my own property! Also, we got a dog, which really cut down on the predation, at least from the coyotes and bobcats.

Wow, she is lucky, I hate pitbulls. More specifically, I hate that people have corrupted and basically destroyed a breed by bad and nefarious breeding. I hope she recovers and appropriate compensation is paid.

As to the shooting, any info on the specifics of the type of weapon he used, how many shots, shot placement etc.? I've read some crazy stories of police shooting of pits, things like taking 7 9mm rounds to the skull and the like.

I have had a pit bull(old family red nose). Best dog I have ever had. Would not harm a fly. Our pug was the boss. I think in most cases it is the owners that make them mean. of course as with any breed there are some aggressive ones, but their bite tends to be alot worse than other breeds.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links