How do you ask?

How do you ask?

This is a discussion on How do you ask? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my state requires you to ask permission from your church pastor, day care provider and bar keep before you can legally carry into their ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How do you ask?

How do you ask?

So my state requires you to ask permission from your church pastor, day care provider and bar keep before you can legally carry into their establishment. Now I don't plan on carrying to the bar anytime soon but I do go to church every Sunday and it would be alot easier not to take it off before I drop off or pick up my little one.

So how would you start a conversation with your minister or daycare provider?

Concealed is concealed...YMMV
    sioux565 likes this.

VIP Member
    Sounds like you are going to be above the line. Good for you!, You will need to have a sincere conversation with your pastor. Most pastors are very wise. Just be up front and ask him. If they do not like your method of protection you can add that to your conversation. If you do not get a response from him that is satisfactory you can always go to another church. My pastor taught me how to reload and knows that I carry. so I guess I would not be the best guy to ask.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach View Post
    So my state requires you to ask permission from your church pastor, day care provider and bar keep before you can legally carry into their establishment. Now I don't plan on carrying to the bar anytime soon but I do go to church every Sunday and it would be alot easier not to take it off before I drop off or pick up my little one.

So how would you start a conversation with your minister or daycare provider?
    Just to be clear about Missouri law (I'm assuming NWMO is NW Missouri), it's not illegal to carry in any of those places without consent. It simply opens you up to denial or removal from the premises if you happen to be caught.

2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises. If such person refuses to leave the premises and a peace officer is summoned, such person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars for the first offense...
    Now if you are asked to leave and you don't, obviously that can lead to other charges, but I wanted to clarify that it is not a criminal offense simply to carry in those locations.
    9MMare and Rock and Glock like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Just to be clear about Missouri law (I'm assuming NWMO is NW Missouri), it's not illegal to carry in any of those places without consent. It simply opens you up to denial or removal from the premises if you happen to be caught.

Now if you are asked to leave and you don't, obviously that can lead to other charges, but I wanted to clarify that it is not a criminal offense simply to carry in those locations.
    I just re-read the law that you are quoting there and you are exactly correct. I was actually going to argue with you, because I know you cannot carry into a school without consent however 571.030 Section 10 specifically states you cannot carry into a school, school bus or school sanctioned event.
    TX expat likes this.

How do you start the conversation?

"Yo! Yo! Yo! Preacher Man, alright if I carry in your crib?"

Yep, that should do it!
    teach and pittypat21 like this.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

I just re-read the law that you are quoting there and you are exactly correct. I was actually going to argue with you, because I know you cannot carry into a school without consent however 571.030 Section 10 specifically states you cannot carry into a school, school bus or school sanctioned event.
    Just make sure your church doesn't have any activities at it that can fall under that or other sections. Sometimes, daycare or something else is written in a the state level, and a church has it at their premises. As a former pastor, I can tell you that I would prefer you tell me before you have to yank it out and point it at someone. Why? Because it allows me to be prepared with my response to others that will come up and ask me about it. That protects both the church, and you from a church standpoint. Nothing legal there, just from my personal experience. Getting blindsided with something was never fun.

VIP Member

How do you ask?

Yup. Now I will say that if you feel like you are close enough to your pastor, it would be good to seek permission; just realize that once the barn door is open, the horse ain't going back in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Invite the pastor out for a bullets and burgers family day at the range!
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

How do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Concealed is concealed...YMMV
    Law requires he ask. IIRC one of the forum rules is no discussing anything illegal.

BOT. I just asked, mentioned that I tend to go through some not nice areas after church to visit relatives.
    At worst you are asked to leave it in the car.
    As for preschool, same deal.
    High time, IMHO, that people stop being ashamed of carrying. We need to show the general populace that not all gun owners are the nuts they think.

Posted from the outer reaches of the universe via my Star Fleet communicator! Live long & prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    High time, IMHO, that people stop being ashamed of carrying. We need to show the general populace that not all gun owners are the nuts they think.

Posted from the outer reaches of the universe via my Star Fleet communicator! Live long & prosper.
    Far Out!

New Member Array SanityChallenge's Avatar
    When people are confronted with unfamiliar situations, the first cue that helps shape how they react comes from the person bringing up the situation. If you're going to tell a pastor, friend, or family member that you carry or ask permission to carry on their premises, then if they haven't already formed a strong opinion, your attitude is going to have a big effect on their attitude.

Be confident, and express your request as a normal, positive thing. Have all the body language of an honest and confident person - stand up straight, make eye contact, etc. Bring up the topic as if it is a positive one, and the chances of their reaction being positive increases.

If you have doubts and fears that the person might react negatively, this can cause you to bring up the topic like you are admitting a dirty little secret, or to ask meekly as if you are asking for something out of the ordinary. Banish those doubts from your mind - they increase the chances of them reacting negatively.

Go with a positive attitude, be confident, honest, and polite, and even though this conversation might be awkward to you on the inside, give the outward impression that this is a perfectly routine conversation you've had millions of times.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    Isn't "silence" a form of consent?

If they don't inform you that you can't carry, doesn't that mean that you can carry?
    pittypat21 and dV8r like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Isn't "silence" a form of consent?

If they don't inform you that you can't carry, doesn't that mean that you can carry?
    Does that mean if they don't ask you to not covertly take all of their valuables they're giving you permission to do that?
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Does that mean if they don't ask you to not covertly take all of their valuables they're giving you permission to do that?

A bit of a stretch there NC.
    Psalm 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle.

Romans 13:4
    But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links