Carrying in a customers home

This is a discussion on Carrying in a customers home within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own a company that installs and repairs access controlled security gates. Some people buy them just because they look nice, but alot just live ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Carrying in a customers home

Carrying in a customers home

I own a company that installs and repairs access controlled security gates. Some people buy them just because they look nice, but alot just live in bad neighborhoods. Under Louisiana law, even with a CCW you cannot enter someones home armed without permission to carry the firearm into the home. I'm not about to ask these people if I can bring a gun into their house. So what do y'all do when your work requires you to work in homes and you CCW at work? I know the chances of them finding out is slim, but the last thing I want to do is lose my permit after all type BS involved in getting it.

2. Remove Ads

...where I live, we don't have to ask...and we don't...if I were still in LA I'd say "I carry with a permit for the same reasons you're protecting your home with our products...you don't have a problem with my doing that, do you?" gives you a 50% chance of a yes...if you get the yes...leave it in the truck...that's better odds than you have by leaving it home...

Are you entering their home or working outside on security gates?
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Re: Carrying in a customers home

I work outside, but have to go inside to do electrical and do the paperwork part of my job.

VIP Member
    You could ask, but only if you are sure they won't try to steal it from you. :)

I think you have no choice but to follow the law and either ask, or don't carry.

Do bring other defensive items. Since you are doing installation work that probably involves
    at least some cutting and drilling and concrete work, you can readily justify
    possession of everything from portable self-powered electric saws and drills, to heavy
    ball peen hammers, and even a bottle of muriatic acid. Either of the latter two ought
    to get the job done.
    9MMare and ConcealedinPA like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I don't think we need permission. I work as a consultant and will be all over the place. For me, concealed is concealed. They don't need to know.

For you, check with your boss and a lawyer to see if there is some working that you can tie the permission into the contracts for work. That way you are protected as well as the company IF something happens.
    Hopyard and Arborigine like this.

If it risks you losing your permit, is it worth it?

As Snub44 said, ask or infer that you or your workers may have a legally possessed firearm and also have a permit to CC, it can do a couple of things for you....save you a lot of embarrassment/expense/loss of permit or it could open up a conversation to someone apparently concerned with their own safety and thus a potential new gun owner and ally.

If you are the owner, it's simple. Add to the fine print on their contracts that by signing they understand that due to the nature of the security industry the service and installation crews may be lawfully armed while on premise.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I think I may have been taken out of context, I was mainly asking what do y'all do when you ccw at work and by law aren't supposed to bring it in without permission. I'm not doing anything to jeopardize my permit. I wasn't sure if others just said screw it and brought it in or if you disarmed before you went in.

...not out of context...but when you say you won't ask, which the law says you must...and you say you won't jeopardize your permit...which is wise...then that means you choose not to carry...we're just suggesting ways you might get permission and win the whole shooting match...and as one said, win a friend to our side...

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...not out of context...but when you say you won't ask, which the law says you must...and you say you won't jeopardize your permit...which is wise...then that means you choose not to carry...we're just suggesting ways you might get permission and win the whole shooting match...and as one said, win a friend to our side...
    I'm kinda liking the idea of putting it in the 'fine print' on their original work order.

...sounds really professional and subtle the way he put it...and CYAWP should they get capricious and want to deny they gave permission...later on...sounds a lot like "reasonable access to the property and house to facilitate timely completion of installation" and "pets will be kept secured so that they can't escape or be harmed during installation"...most of 'em never read all that they sign...I used to sell/install burglar alarms back in the Ice Age in LA...I'd write all the details down and about 1 in 5 actually read them...
    Hopyard likes this.

I work in property management and occasionally have to enter people´s homes. I always remember about a year ago in Palmdale, CA a cable guy was hooking up a TV and the residents crazy relative was off his meds. He hit the cable guy with a hammer (I think it was) killing him. I can´t say a CC weapon would have saved the guy, but it wouldn´t have hurt.

In my state we can carry unless requested not to, so I do.
    Snub44 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    If you are the owner, it's simple. Add to the fine print on their contracts that by signing they understand that due to the nature of the security industry the service and installation crews may be lawfully armed while on premise.
    I would expect my security professional to be armed. And adding it to the written contract takes care of notification and gives you written proof of it. DR
    Snub44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by autogateman View Post
    I'm kinda liking the idea of putting it in the 'fine print' on their original work order.
    This sounds like a good idea but I would check with a lawyer to make sure this would cover you from a legal perspective.
    9MMare likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links