Carrying in friends homes

This is a discussion on Carrying in friends homes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is a question I didn't see an answer for. Should I/am I obligated to inform my friends if it is ok to carry in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Carrying in friends homes

Here is a question I didn't see an answer for. Should I/am I obligated to inform my friends if it is ok to carry in their homes? Or make a blanket statement that I am now legal to carry and have them tell me if they are not ok with carrying in their homes? I believe Minnesota law states it is up to the private party to allow or not, but I don't think I have to announce I am carrying.

I just want to be respectful of their beliefs and their space.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Donīt ask, donīt tell.

...if you ask...you've increased the chance they'll say "no"...if you don't ask, and they don't tell you "no", then you're armed (if concealed) and nobody is offended...the law doesn't require that you ask...I would rather see you safe and armed than worry about their UNexpressed beliefs and "space"...proper ways to show respect include not bringing up a point of contention...if in MN, I'd carry concealed and not ask homeowners how they feel about my safety...

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca...carry-faq.aspx
    blitzburgh likes this.

If so, then in the least you must ask what their beliefs and rules on their space is don't you ? Otherwise I think you are not being honest with your self, in which case are you really being a friend ?

...applying the Golden Rule, if you feel that you would want others to ask your permission before carrying in your home, though you hadn't told them not to, then you should ask...
    ...if you would not be offended that they took the initiative to be armed without consulting you first...then you need not ask...

...a friend sometimes does what's best for me, whether or not I'd want him to...if he knows it's the right thing to do...
    Jemsaal and blitzburgh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith6470 View Post
    If that's a concern to you, then you have your answer regarding your own actions. And that should satisfy the statutes, no matter how they're written (or even if they exist) on the matter.

Know your own state's statutes. If concerned, identify the particular statute in question.

For most states, so far as I know, there's no statutory requirement to inform, neither a homeowner, resident or shopkeep/owner. Depends on the state.

Myself, I carry where it's lawful to do so, I don't ask permission to carry anywhere, and I don't inform in advance. But that's just me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Same basic discussion going on here, more or less (whether to inform/ask, whether lawfully required to do so): click.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Bring up the topic of guns in general first and get a feel for their opinion on it. I agree with following your conscience and maintaining that respect for another person's castle and sacred space. I can't think of a true friend of mine or relative who would think I was ever not armed! I share my philosophy with them on a regular basis, including that every adult physically and mentally able should be their own ready and willing protector and protector of their own.

Could very well end up using the situation for good - illuminating concerns over 2A issues, gaining a new range buddy, etc.

In my experience most people are not afraid of their friend being armed, unless the armed friend is acting strange or suspicious.

Some states do require the permission of the home owner before CCW is allowed in a home you visit.
    Here are the MN prohibited areas:

Places off-limits when carrying:
    1. School property
    2. A childcare center while children are present
    3. Public colleges and universities – may have policy restricting the carrying of weapons on their premises by employees and students while on campus
    4. Private establishments that have posted a sign banning guns on their premises
    5. Private establishments who have personally informed the permit holder that guns are prohibited and demands compliance
    6. Places of employment, public or private, if employer restricts the carry or possession of firearms by is employees
    7. State correctional facilities or state hospitals and grounds (MN Statute 243.55)
    8. Any jail, lockup or correctional facility (MN Statute 641.165)
    9. Courthouse complexes, unless the sheriff is notified (MN Statute 609.66)
    10. Offices and courtrooms of the Minnesota Supreme Court and Court of Appeals
    11. Any state building unless the commissioner of public safety is notified (MN Statute 609.66)
    12. In a field while hunting big game by archery, except when hunting bear (MN Statute 97B.211)
    13. In federal court facilities or other federal facilities (Title 18 U.S.C.§ 930)

From what I see, I would CC and ...
    RMS and ConcealedinPA like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Actually CCW9, I'd think that is a very different discussion since it's based on a business relationship, and maybe even involve a third and or fourth party if you're a contractor or depending on the type of work you do.

Heck, if it was me, I'd hide it someplace way down in the contract say, page 3, that either I or my workers, if licensed may be carrying concealed due to the possibly environments that we work in. By signing this form you acknowledge and give permission.

This way, if they every do find out and want to demand you not carry in their house or they break the contract, they have no leg to stand on.

I would not...

I would also not tell them I am carrying a knife or for that matter, if the VP is reading this... a scissor either... but that's me and uncle Joe talking now...
    9MMare likes this.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

VIP Member
    This has been discussed many times. I don't ask, it's really none of their business. If they don't want someone carrying there they can post it at the door.

Etiquette: Concealed Carry in friends, or F of F's house and vice-versa
    9MMare likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I figure all of my friends know I do carry and assume they know I carry full time. No need to make a bigger issue of it than it needs to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    carracer likes this.
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

Aways carry, never tell..
    pistola likes this.

It's not their business, it's mine. No reason or need to ask permission.
    Aceoky likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links