"Autopilot" again

"Autopilot" again

This is a discussion on "Autopilot" again within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I was several decades younger for several reasons (all legal!) I developed the habit of always locating myself in a room in the best ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Autopilot" again

"Autopilot" again

When I was several decades younger for several reasons (all legal!) I developed the habit of always locating myself in a room in the best tactical position, watched people and had a plan to react. Eventually it was so automatic I never thought about it in a really concious way, I was on defensive "autopilot".

Now to today. After years of knocking about on a sailboat away from "land people" I had developed different habits and when back around land I found it required deliberate effort to stay in yellow. But tonight I stopped by my favorite coffee shop for a coffee and a little conversation. I've become friends with the owners and many of the employees there. Enough so that a few of the young ladies and I have had heart to hearts about taking care of themselves. Especially after I had to "deal" with a little situation involving an aggressive young pervert for two of them. Trying to educate sheep you know, and hopefully making progress.

Well I get my coffee and exchange pleasantries with the help and another customer strikes up a conversation with me. Ten minutes later I realize that without thinking about it, I've got everybody's positions pegged in my head, positioned myself for defense, checked all the customers for signs of weapons or unusual behavior, know where my safe shoot lanes are and where my avenues of movement to cover are. All this while a friendly stranger is trying to make conversation and in the back of my head I'm thinking "Hmm, I don't know this guy, is he interviewing me?"

Good grief the autopilot is back! Some may call it (like a few members of my family) mildly paranoid. I just call it constructively cautious.

So how about you folks is it concious effort or autopilot.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Habit.

I noticed the same thing today while in the parking lot of KFC. I thought, "man am I nuts or just doing what I should be doing, being cautiouse".

It's not a bad habit if it is not hurting you or someone else.......thats what I told myself.

Lead Moderator
    habit. I check out potential problems , as well as unconsciously catalog clothing and features.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

A little of both

I too find that I go on auto pilot to a large degree. However there are times ( lots of distractions maybe ) that I do go with a conscious effort to size up the lay of the land. The one thing I never do is let myself go to Condition White. I never let my guard down that much even at home. If there is going to be someone surprised I want it to be the other guy, not me.

Lead Moderator
    I am sad to say I don't stay in Yellow enough. I try but find it to easy to let my guard down in places that I frequent. I guess that they become a "safe" place in my mind. I try to assign people names like Travis McGee did in the old John MacDonald novels. You know if a guy has a limp you call him gimpy, bad hair cut = mop head. I find it is easier to recall people if I assign a name to them. I have to work on ways to stay on my toes when I am in my public "comfort" areas. Do you guys have any advice?

I always strive to be aware of people and surroundings, but its not on auto-pilot because I catch myself at times thinking, wait a minute, what am I doing and whats going on ?
    I am learning to do this. I just keep at it and one day, it'll click...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Where is really safe? Not at church anymore or schools. For sure not restaurants or parking lots. I can't think of anyplace that I go that is really safe. Not even at home. Someone out there may kick open your door. Do I really expect to get attacked? Nope, or I wouldn't go there, but you can never be sure. It can and does happen, and never at a good time. Just be ready for it.

Senior Moderator

One Can Never Be Too Careful...

and I find myself keeping (at least) a .380 in my pocket around the house, to the mailbox, taking out the trash, etc.
    I lock all the doors, even during the day, and I only answer the door after 'checking' who is there...my Kimber is also a second away...

Sad state of affairs, eh?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Being fairly new to CCW I still have to make a conscious effort to stay yellow. I find it gets easier everyday. Now the wife calls me a little paranoid, I say a little more prepared.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crankinNM View Post
    Habit.

I noticed the same thing today while in the parking lot of KFC. I thought, "man am I nuts or just doing what I should be doing, being cautious".

It's not a bad habit if it is not hurting you or someone else.......thats what I told myself.
    My girlfriend thinks that it's a buzzkill that I do it. She thinks it keeps me from having fun when we're out, and being fun when we're out.

Naturally, I disagree, and have told her that it's a tough world and we live in a tough city. (West Palm Beach. There's hardly a square yard around here where some violence hasn't happened at some point.)

It's near the point where damn, I just wish something mildly dangerous would happen that I'd have to save us from, just to shut her up and get
    her to stop being a sheep.

She used to be disconcerted by knowing that I carry. We went out to a Halloween fest on Saturday night and she was wondering why I wasn't carrying my shoulder bag as usual. She asked about my gun, and I kinda made a sly smile and said, "I've still got it." I was glad to learn that she couldn't detect where. When I told her, she wanted to see! :smile2:

I guess conscious effort. When I was in high school, I made a habit to make sure everybody was in front of me in plain sight. When I would walk with somebody and they began to lag behind (even if I knew them) I would slow down and make sure they walked in front of me.

Both of my ex-wives used to give me flak for being so 'paranoid'.
    My last wife stopped harping at me when my brother showed up again and threatened to kill me (the 4th time he has done so). It wasn't long after that that she decided that she wanted a divorce, not knowing if she would be safe around me had a lot to do withe the divorce. Am I paranoid? You betcha. Do I run on autopilot? Yes. I also listen to my instincs, I f the hair on the back of my neck stands up I go into orange and become hyperaware.

Darn good habit to get into. I find myself doing the same type of thing now and then. The wife says I do it all the time but I only realize it about 25% of the time.

Keep up the good work.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by

It's near the point where damn, I just wish something mildly dangerous [i
    would[/i] happen that I'd have to save us from, just to shut her up and get
    her to stop being a sheep.

My wife was the same way in the beginning of our time together. I had a friend of mine that she didn't know help me stage a little demonstration for her. After that she saw how easy it was for a BG to get the drop on us and it was important to be alert at all times. I dont drink when we go out for that same reason. She use to make the BUZZKILL coment to me too.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    You know if a guy has a limp you call him gimpy
    I resemble that remark.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links