Anyone else leave their gun at home?

This is a discussion on Anyone else leave their gun at home? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I remember the days of holstering my gun just to take out the trash, I took my gun everywhere. Then something happened, I start leaving ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: Anyone else leave their gun at home?

Anyone else leave their gun at home?

I remember the days of holstering my gun just to take out the trash, I took my gun everywhere. Then something happened, I start leaving it at home sometimes. I'm 26 and single and live alone and I noticed that my social life wasn't conducive to conceal carrying a gun 24/7... Bars, dates, blind dates (Some ladies got spooked when they came back to the pad and found out I owned guns), partying, and just plain going out a lot. Now, after 3 years of conceal carrying, I find that my gun stays at home a good bit. I'll def take it when leaving my quiet neighborhood but even at that I sometimes lock it up in my truck.

I'm not saying anyone should do as I do and carry less I say more power to you if you want and are able to carry 24/7. Just for me and the things I do in my social life, it makes my nights and some of the people I interact with less stressful and hassle free. I guess my logic behind it is that my defensive weapons are for self defense, defending myself. I don't claim to be a sheepdog, nor a hero, nor do I train for a active shooter in a building scenario, I look at my gun (and other weapons) as tools to defend myself and I feel like my non lethal EDC items can be used quite effectively to fulfill that purpose... A gun is absolutely more effective at self defense but that doesn't make other defensive tools ineffective and obsolete.

So these were just some things I've been thinking about, I tried to articulate my thoughts well but I don't do a good job most of the time. My gun(s) get out a good bit but just not as much as they used too. Anyone else leave their gun at home sometimes or how about all the time?

2. Remove Ads

Always carry, never tell...
    JDE101, jcm, inneyeseakay and 1 others like this.

Only time I leave my gun at home is when I go to work.

But then again I've grown out of bars and partying, have no social life and the only dates I go out on are with my wife, so it's not really a problem for me...

I left mine at home yesterday being in a rush and of course there was a potential "incident" that took place at the gas station on my way home. Kicked myself all night and strapped up today promising myself to not forget again.
    kerberos and inneyeseakay like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

DareBear, sell your gun(s), it/they are doing you no good whatsoever. Sell'm cheap so somebody on a limited budget who understands the need to carry can have a gun.
    Taurahe likes this.

If you are going out drinking and partying, you should leave your gun at home. I, however, do NOT go out partying or drinking anymore, nor do I frequent places very often where I can not be armed. On a few occasions it is unavoidable, but generally I do not go places where my gun must be left behind. I carry whenever and wherever it is legal to do so, including in my home.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Going on a "defensive carry" site and asking who doesn't carry is like going to the MADD site and asking who there is is a drunk driver.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Always carry, but when I go to a 30.06 site, it stays in the car. Also stays in the car when I am at work since my work policy is "no gun zone"
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by asldkjfqwoifqwo View Post
    DareBear, sell your gun(s), it/they are doing you no good whatsoever. Sell'm cheap so somebody on a limited budget who understands the need to carry can have a gun.
    Give him a break, at least he's doing the responsible thing and not carrying while drinking or at the bars. That's the last thing the anti's need is more ammo against gun owners. If you've got nothing constructive to say, then press your little back button on the top left corner of your screen. Thanks and have a good day.
    Hopyard, NONAME762, TVJ and 29 others like this.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

VIP Member
    Everyone must evaluate their need to carry for themselves. If after doing so, you decide the need to be armed isn't there, then leave your gun at home. Just remember, once you leave it behind, it does you no good. A gun at home in a safe, when confronted by a shooter, or facing an armed robber can not save you.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My ability to carry a gun does not run my life.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by asldkjfqwoifqwo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadsmiles View Post
    Give him a break, at least he's doing the responsible thing and not carrying while drinking or at the bars. That's the last thing the anti's need is more ammo against gun owners. If you've got nothing constructive to say, then press your little back button on the top left corner of your screen. Thanks and have a good day.
    +1.

To each his own. He carries as much as he can. You're telling me that's worse than selling your guns and never carrying or being able to protect yourself at home? I'm 25 and will probably not carry all day every day...similar lifestyle I guess. I don't want to miss out on good times because I can't carry somewhere, and also not be able to defend my home. What works for you isn't necessarily the gold standard.

Though I agree...this probably isn't the place to make a case for not carrying and not expect some resistance.
    Last edited by .40swToFreedom; March 8th, 2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: added sentence
    TJDN, ep1953 and Rwwatson like this.

I always carry except at work. I usually carry an XDs IWB, but I just picked up a pocket pistol and a nice wallet holster. Its so small and discreet that I have absolutely no excuse not to AT LEAST carry that. Its like having a wallet in my back pocket.

I would do what i thought was best.I would pay zero attention to anyone telling you to sell your guns.Thats a stupid thing to say.I guess with some,if you don't do like them,you are wrong,smh..I've been in the position you are in years ago.You gotta do what you gotta do.I love firearms,but,their are a couple of things more important,in my life.

The choice, ultimately, is up to you and no one else. Personally, I carry everywhere I go. If I'm not allowed to carry somewhere, chances are, I won't go there. Why? Because knowing my luck, that'll be the time that I need it. Your CCW is like your home-owners insurance policy. You get the policy just in case something ever happens, and then hope that you never have to use it. Would you let it lapse a month, and then go and get it again; stop paying it for a couple months and get rid of it, then go get it again when you decide it's a good idea to have it again?

I hope the answer is no. So why would you go without your personal security insurance policy (CCW)? Chances are it will be the time that you don't have it, that'll you'll need it.

Oh, and if a woman doesn't understand that you carry because there are crazy people in this world and the weapon is there for no other reason than to protect yourself and anyone else you might be with, and that you are being a responsible citizen by having your CCW, then she probably isn't the type of woman you'll want to be with anyway.

Or at least, that's just my opinion.
    Aceoky, Ghost1958, TJDN and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links