Front pocket carry

This is a discussion on Front pocket carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What's the largest front pocket carry you guys do? I did my first carry yesterday with p238 sig, but also have an XDS 45. I ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Front pocket carry

Front pocket carry

What's the largest front pocket carry you guys do? I did my first carry yesterday with p238 sig, but also have an XDS 45. I have recluse holsters for both which I do like. I am carrying the xds at home now to see if I like it. Not sure about it's size and weight yet. Going out today to get some deep pocket cargo pants. Do any of you carry similar size guns in your front pocket?

Some people carry G26's in their front pocket. I've personally carried a Sig p229 in mine back in my younger days when I was (more of) an idiot.

Front pocket carry

I carry the xds in front pocket.

Kahr PM9
    stevez likes this.

I carry a S&W 442. I think the problem with pocket carry is larger guns get harder to draw. I can lay my hand on my J frame in the pocket without looking like I'm making a fist in my pocket.
    I'm ready to draw with a thumb and two finger grip.

My question is how small of a gun can I pocket carry? For me, it is a .38 J frame or micro 9mm single stack. (Like Kahr PM9 )
    BigJon10125 likes this.

VIP Member
    Airweight J-frame (637 or 642) in pocket holster. The solid steel j-frames (60 or 640) are either IWB or OWB, they are too heavy for pocket carry (for me).

My Kimber Solo rides like if was made for the front pocket... The fact that it's a 9mm and loves the +p stuff is just gravy...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    My largest pocket carry is my P-3AT...I have trouble getting change out of my pockets, yet alone a pistol.OMO
    I don't know HOW individuals can carry a decent size firearm in a front pocket...rear or coat pocket is a lot easier for me.
    I guess I'm either too fat, or my Levi's are too tight...probably both.
    Before putting a P-3AT in a front pocket, which I have done, I'd rather put it in a SOB/IWB at 5:30...very comfy and easier access.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

i have done, LCR 38, CW9, and my Bersa Thunder 380, not at all at the same time :)

Pocket carry is not optimal, but it can be done easily with some thought. You must have a holster that covers the trigger, and I refuse to put anything else in the pocket other than the holstered gun. Personally, my pocket gun of choice is a J Frame 642, in either a Mika Round Cut or a Desantis Nemesis holster, depending on the cut of the pocket in each pair of pants I own. When pants shopping, I always pocket carry and take both holsters with me so I can check the fit of the pants when pocket carrying and the restrictiveness of the pocket opening when accessing the revolver. I know what I need to do when buying pants to fit my IWB rig without taking it with me, but pockets require actual testing for me.

For years, I fell into the lazy trap, and pocket carried about 80% of the time with the above mentioned platform. While I didn't feel undergunned with the 5 shot revolver with two speed strip reloads, I always thought about needing to make a more concerted effort to carry a larger pistol with more rounds and easier reloads. I recently took a more advanced full day training class using my full size XD-40 with multiple magazine reloads, and now carry that platform at least half the time now. Every carry method is a compromise in something. Choose where you wish to compromise, but always carry. If that means pocket carrying a mouse gun like a KelTec P32 or a NAA Black Widow, do that (although my 642 with .38 spl 135gr +p Gold Dots certainly doesn't fall into the mouse gun category) since any gun is better than no gun at all. There are so many really good small frame pistols in .380acp, 9mm, .40, and even .45 in addition to the old standby .38 spl J Frame, there is really no reason that everyone shouldn't have at least one pocket carry option, either as their EDC or as a back up. My 642 is still always with me, but now often serves as the backup to the XD-40 carried IWB.

Cheers!
    Phaedrus and DrDP6 like this.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

"It is madness for sheep to talk peace with a wolf." -- Thomas Fuller

The largest gun I carry in in my front pocket is a Kahr CM9... works great and have no issues with it.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    My 442 and LCR357 are my pocket Guns

Front pocket carry

LCP or S&W 442 in a Bear Creek holster with a push thumb tab (allows you to draw while still concealed in the pocket). For me pocket carry is easier with dress pants with pockets that open from the side.

http://www.bearcreekholsters.com/front-pocket.php

About the largest are the S&W 442 Airweight, Kel-Tec PF9, and Kahr PM9. I've actually fit a fully holstered CZ P-01 into a couple pants I have (with uber-large "cargo" style, "accordion" type pockets), but that isn't to say it was either practical or capable of avoiding "printing."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I do alot of bending over and driving to and from jobs. Also spend a good deal of time in attics. Seems like front pocket would be my best option. These holsters combined with loose pants are easy to access. Like I said I really hope I can get used to the xds, but I just switched to the p238 and it felt like it wasn't even there after wearing the xds. The holsters are still new and I am sure will shape with time. Think I will continue wearing the xds around the house and the sig when I go out. First day I carried unchambered but now I am comfortable with them chambered as designed.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links