I got made.

I got made.

This is a discussion on I got made. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So last night I went shopping and out to dinner with the wife. First stop was as gander mountain and then on to pick up ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: I got made.

I got made.

So last night I went shopping and out to dinner with the wife. First stop was as gander mountain and then on to pick up some dog food at pets mart. The last stop was chipotle restaurant. No signs hanging up,(which in Pa don't hold weight of law) so I walked in with my kimber 1911 pro carry. It was neatly tucked under my arm in a galco Miami classic shoulder rig that the wife got me for Christmas last year. Went and ordered out food and sat down with no problems. And we sat there a waiting line formed to my left-same side as my gun. I didn't even consider someone would make me because I had a button and zip up hoodie over top of it and a T-shirt as a base layer. Half way through our meal my wife looks at me as says "Bob, they see it". Who sees it I asked. She said the two girls in line and the guy behind them. They kept their eyes on me until we left. Maybe they were afraid of guns. They didn't call the cops or scream about it. Or even tell the manager at the restaurant. But I learnt a valuable lesson. Don't lean over a small table to eat without nonchalantly readjusting it first! Just thought I'd share my story.

Bob

They were probably just taking notes on what not to do. Either that, or they were watching to see if your pistol would jump out by itself and cause mayhem.

At leasst it didn't bother them so much that they mentioned it to the management.

BTW, what are the laws on open carry in PA?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

oh... I thought you meant you took the Omerta.
    multistage, JoJoGunn and atctimmy like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

OC in PA is OK.............no problem, at least they didn't scream man with a gun.

VIP Member
    That set-up looks like a lot of work getting into. Too bad it doesn't offer better range of positioning and motion.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    OC in PA is OK.............no problem, at least they didn't scream man with a gun.
    I've never personally done it but I've read plenty of horror stories about doing so on PFOA forums. Here in a month or so when I move back to Pittsburgh, PA, I'll see how it goes for me.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    It happens, just adjust and move on. A good question for you? What if one of the girls in the line said to you, and pointed, "Is that a gun"? What would you say? If you said "yes" then you've sort of outed yourself, if you said something "smart-mouthed" then you sort of taint the image of a CCW'er. I think we all should have a prepared answer and/or way of dealing with that question.

I was at a "town hall" type of meeting recently and the guy in front of me stood up to ask a question. He was dressed casually, some sort of jeans and pullover shirt. While he was talking I noticed his shirt had stacked up a bit on top of the grip of his CCW, though I never saw the gun. I doubt if anyone else saw it, and no big deal with me. I guess the non-gun people are usually the one's that have the "eye's popping out" look.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

mkh
    Like ppkheat says...it happens. Adjust and move on.

Even with IWB carry on my hip I have to be careful sitting somewhere that doesn't have a back to it. Just a fact of carrying that you get used to.

Or maybe they thought you just a hot piece of meat and couldn't take there eyes off you??? Naw probably saw the gun :)
    AZ_Larz_NY likes this.

It does happen from time to time. Funny, the only time I was ever really 'made' was while I was heeled in a sholder rig as well..... leaning over to pick up my young'un a 'grandmotherly' woman with her Grand daughter looked at me the only instant she couldve seen my sidearm. She had a rather 'suprised' look and definatly a little scared. I actually walked over to her, introduced myself and my (then) 3 y.o. son. We talked a bit about kids, the weather (it was cold), blah, blah, blah..... She eased up alot and realized I was absolutly NO threat. The gun never came up in our conversation.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I have fun outing guys wherever I am. Around here, lots of folks are armed all the time, just the way things are. I try to identify them wherever we go, just to see how they are concealing for giggles, because I am a people watcher. Biggest giveaway is a 5.11 vest or safari vest, I mean, come on. I was at a real estate class and was chatting with another agent who was wearing one, I jokingly said "where'd ya get the vest" He replied, "oh, it's just a fishing vest I wear camping" and then I said "yeah, looks like you are carrying, not camping". He was kind of taken back, until I mentioned the V-clips on my belt. We had a good laugh.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernVandal View Post
    I have fun outing guys wherever I am. Around here, lots of folks are armed all the time, just the way things are. I try to identify them wherever we go, just to see how they are concealing for giggles, because I am a people watcher. Biggest giveaway is a 5.11 vest or safari vest, I mean, come on. I was at a real estate class and was chatting with another agent who was wearing one, I jokingly said "where'd ya get the vest" He replied, "oh, it's just a fishing vest I wear camping" and then I said "yeah, looks like you are carrying, not camping". He was kind of taken back, until I mentioned the V-clips on my belt. We had a good laugh.
    Hahaha those vests can't be anymore obvious!

From 30 years of law enforcement, most people just think you're an off-duty police officer when your handgun is accidently exposed.

It happened to me as a young probationary officer in 1978. I was at a convenience store on a Firday afternoon when I leaned forward and the clerk saw the S&W 66 (2 1/2") in a shoulder holster undser my Army field jacket. I can still remember him asking me, "you some sort of secret agent ?" I looked back and said, "yeah, something like that." Three minutes later I was in a gun fight with two robbers hitting the Safeway store in the same strip shopping center.

I will not comment on the gunfight...suffice it to say, i'm still here.
    Snub44, JoJoGunn, mprp and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    Or you could have said to your wife, in a voice loud enough for them to hear "I thought you said this is where the Miami Vice reunion was being held. I hope you didn't get the addresses mixed up for the Saint Valentines Day Massacre movie reunion, the Tommy Gun might scare someone."
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

So you think you 'Got made'. Hmmmm how can you be so sure ? Maybe the kids just thought you looked funny. Are you new to carrying a firearm ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links