P95 vs G19: Concealability

This is a discussion on P95 vs G19: Concealability within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently own a Ruger P95 and just recently received the Remora holster that I had ordered for it. My intent was to carry the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P95 vs G19: Concealability

I currently own a Ruger P95 and just recently received the Remora holster that I had ordered for it. My intent was to carry the P95 around in the house and play around with different positions, cants, etc to see how effective I could be at concealing a firearm this size. Not to eventually carry the P95 if/when CCW is passed in IL, but to see if I could possibly conceal a G19/23 size pistol. So, I've been carrying in my home for a couple days now and think I found a position/cant that allows me to conceal the P95 with minimal, if any, noticeable printing or bulging while standing and walking upright. I have it at about the 4:30 position. However, if I perform just about any twisting or bending motion it starts to show pretty clearly. Otherwise, it's surprisingly comfortable. So, how much easier would it be for me to conceal something like a G19/23? I would really like to stick with the compact frame Glocks when I finally make a CC purchase, but if I really didn't feel like I could conceal it well I'd probably just go down to the subcompact frames. Any thoughts?
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

2. Remove Ads

I've got a P95 and I would say a G19/23 would be considerably easier to conceal.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

G19 all the way.

I have both a P95 and a gen 4 glock 23....g23 much easier to carry. Love the ruger and all its reliability but when it comes to concealment its just a little too big, in my humble opinion of course!

Thanks for the feedback guys! I want a G19/23 something fierce but would hate to buy it and find its too difficult to conceal, encouraging me not to carry it all the time.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

~Breda

I only have a set of Twin G-19's and a Remora IWB holster. It works great and will not be seen under one of my shirts in the Summertime. Fall and Winter I wear an outer jacket that can conceal almost anything (other holsters). Remora works for me at the Skinny Hot times!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

I have a G19 and have been using a simple IWB, I think Uncle Mike's or something. I have a Remora on the way. It carries very well in the current holster and I am really looking forward to the Remora.

For me, personally, I detest "snaggy" stuff...like sights with sharp, pointy corners that stick out, big thumb safeties, exposed hammers, unnecessarily large and ornate slide locks and anything else similar. I also have a Ruger LCP for the same reasons. Perhaps I am a bit biased from my time in the Marines, but things that snag, even unnecessarily drag, can be very, very bad if they show up at the wrong time. Also, they are just plain annoying.

That P95 looks like a nice pistol, but it is covered with the stuff I just mentioned that gives me anxiety attacks. Otherwise I think they are about the same dimensions, maybe the 19 is a bit smaller than the P95. The 19's height is 3/4" shorter.

For me, if the corner of the grip prints a tiny bit when bending, etc., it is not a concern. As much as it has ever printed, it could easily be a phone or a dozen other things. The people out there who do not carry do not pay much attention, unless it is stupidly obvious.

The 19 has been beyond awesome for me, extremely accurate, and best of all, it is point and shoot...no safety other than the built in shock safety (will not discharge if dropped, etc.)

But...I am going to buy the next G29 I see for no other reason that I love the 10mm round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr2IG6t85Jg

i have and carry a P95. Yes the G 19 is a tad smaller, but if you have a typical P95 you already have a 15+1 9mm that goes bang when you pull the trigger and will pry have a longer life than you will. Unless you got $$ to burn I would look at a another caliber or maybe a snubby ( we all need at least 1 or 2) You will be at about $600 with the G19 when you "basicly" have the same gun already. For that sort of money I'd look at expanding your caliber selection. Just my 2 cents

VIP Member
    Any handgun can be concealed. People have been carrying full size 1911's concealed without problems.

A bigger problem for you will be the ability to obtain a IL permit once they start to issue them. I have a feeling the criteria will be so restrictive, that obtaining a MD or NJ would be like a cake walk compared. I'm also going to guess that IL will not honor any other states permit.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I carry a GLOCK 19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB at about 3:30. Everyday, year round. You can tweak the way you dress and the way you move to aid in staying concealed. A size larger shirt, loose fitting clothing (fight the urge to dress like justin beiber), squat instead of bending over, reach for high items with the other hand, be aware who is near you when making drastic movements.

Good luck on getting a decent concealed carry law in Illinois.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I carry a G19 OWB and have no problem hiding it. Soon it may be replaced though with my new in lay-away-gun..........my 92FS compact.

Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    i have and carry a P95. Yes the G 19 is a tad smaller, but if you have a typical P95 you already have a 15+1 9mm that goes bang when you pull the trigger and will pry have a longer life than you will. Unless you got $$ to burn I would look at a another caliber or maybe a snubby ( we all need at least 1 or 2) You will be at about $600 with the G19 when you "basicly" have the same gun already. For that sort of money I'd look at expanding your caliber selection. Just my 2 cents
    I've actually had reliability issues with the P95 since I bought it a few years ago so that's one reason I've considered a second 9mm. But, I've recently been strongly considering the G23 (or G27 if I go smaller) since I could always get the 9mm conversion barrel for it down the road.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

~Breda

GH
    Although anything can be concealed with a little ingenuity but the G19/23 is a relatively easy gun to conceal. It has a good magazine capacity, reliable & shoots well. There are many that conceal easier but besides the M&P compacts may not be as reliable. I'm sure there are many that are, though.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    The P95 was my first pistol. It has zero reliability issues unless you get the one lemon to be produced in the last 16 yrs. the problem with concealing it is the extra wide ambidextrous decocker. People refer to this pistol as a tank. It is fairly light, so I think they are referring to it's width and rugged design.

I think a G19 or 23 would conceal easier due to overall width.

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    I've actually had reliability issues with the P95 since I bought it a few years ago so that's one reason I've considered a second 9mm. But, I've recently been strongly considering the G23 (or G27 if I go smaller) since I could always get the 9mm conversion barrel for it down the road.

If it's not 100% good to go , you need to get intouch with Ruger, they will make it right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links