Spotted a CCer On TV Tonight

This is a discussion on Spotted a CCer On TV Tonight within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Watching Wicked Tuna on National Geographic tonight staying in out of the storms, noticed that one of the fisherman in one of the segments clearly ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By hek1620
  • 1 Post By Snatale42

Thread: Spotted a CCer On TV Tonight

Watching Wicked Tuna on National Geographic tonight staying in out of the storms, noticed that one of the fisherman in one of the segments clearly had belt clips for a hybrid style IWB holster on. Couldn't see what he was carrying, he had on jeans and a T shirt that pulled up as he was climbing off the boat. Given that they have to deal with sharks a lot, I can see why he would want to be armed on the open ocean. If anyone else watches this show, I just started recently so I don't know what his name is but it is the guy with the goatee.

Interesting given that they are in MA, I was surprised, I thought CC permits were basically no issue there like in NJ and NY.

I had some professional shark and swordfish friends many years ago. They didn't carry handguns aboard the boat. They did have a rifle of some sort to dispatch sharks while in the water. I wouldn't want someone waving a pistol around on a pitching deck. Good way to put a hole in the bottom of the boat, or someone else.

VIP Member
    Don't watch the program, but it may not have been a holster clip you noticed. Holster makers aren't the only industry that uses those type of clips. As to carry permit in MA, my understanding is they are available and not extremely difficult to obtain. Even NY (outside of NYC) permits are obtainable, just takes a long time to get it. Unlike NJ and MD where the odds of winning the lottery is better.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

maybe they want to be prepared for pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by gunslingergirl View Post
    I had some professional shark and swordfish friends many years ago. They didn't carry handguns aboard the boat. They did have a rifle of some sort to dispatch sharks while in the water. I wouldn't want someone waving a pistol around on a pitching deck. Good way to put a hole in the bottom of the boat, or someone else.
    Since when do CC'ers who know what their doing "Wave pistols around"? Are you for no gun signs as well? You should know better. When you need your gun you need it NOW! Calling out to somebody to get a rifle that they may or may not have one is as bright as the people that walk around with unloaded guns in their pants. Pirates are also a very real thing.
    Toorop likes this.

If it is indeed a pistol and not some audio equipment for the show, then I'd bet that it's not for the sharks. The commercial fishing industry isn't known for producing made-for-TV personalities and not everyone get's along for various reasons so it's likely for protection from other people. If you thought the response time for law enforcement was slow on land, it's at least 10 times worse off shore.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Interesting given that they are in MA, I was surprised, I thought CC permits were basically no issue there like in NJ and NY.
    Don't know about MA, but my state exempts "hunting AND FISHING" activities from the restrictions that otherwise apply to carrying.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    MA isn't even close to the way NY/NJ are. Yes there stricter than a lot of states but in a majority of cities/towns they are shall issue by practice.

Do state gun laws even apply to offshore boats?

Quote Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
    Do state gun laws even apply to offshore boats?
    Past 12 miles not even federal gun laws apply, one of the guys mentioned them being 175 miles out (when their prop got fouled of all things). I think the comment above about it maybe not just being for sharks is probably right given some of the personalities they showed.

I didn't know that about MA permits, am I right in guessing that Boston is effectively no issue though? Are permits state wide valid or are they like NY where NYC permits (unicorns) are the only ones valid there?

Sponsored Links