Unusual public un-holstering experiences

This is a discussion on Unusual public un-holstering experiences within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another thread got me to thinking about a couple unusual experiences I have had where someone un-holstered in front of me. I had a worker ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Unusual public un-holstering experiences

Another thread got me to thinking about a couple unusual experiences I have had where someone un-holstered in front of me.

I had a worker at a gun store hand me his fully loaded Springfield Armory V10 that he had on his hip. Gave it to me and said be careful that's very loaded.
    It was just him and I in the store but I had never been in there before and he had no idea who I was. I was very new to guns at the time so I took it and carefully
    checked it out and gave it back. When I left I thought wow I can't believe he gave me a loaded gun. Now many years later I look back and think wow what an idiot
    he gave me his loaded gun which was an unbelievably unsafe thing to do as well as leaving himself with no means of self defense.

Had a state trooper pull out his gun and show it to me in the convenience store I was working in. He was showing me the special markings they put on it. He was a regular
    customer so we kind of knew each other. At the time I thought it was cool but it certainly surprised me that he did it.
    USM1976 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    The best safety is the one between your ears and some just don't know how to use it. Hope I didn't make anyone upset over that, it's just IMO that your gun only needs to come out of your holster for two reasons.

1) Your done for the days activities
    2) It's your last resort and you have no choice but to defend yourself or your family.

The only time the pistol comes out of the holster is when I am retiring for the evening or when I'm training. It's never had to come out to solve a social issue, and I hope it never does.

For the gun store employee that did that for the OP, he should have his head examined...
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I take it out at my buddies but, we shoot there. Living in the country has its advantages. Or I take it out when I get home before bed. One other time is if I have to go into posted buildings. That's about it. Never hand anyone a loaded weapon either, one of my pet peeves. Unload then hand it to the person.

Distinguished Member
    I've unholstered mine a few time's in front of very close friends. Most of those time's we were on a range together and I brought out my EDC to shoot. Still felt a little weird having someone see me bring out my gun, it really gets to be a personal thing that you get used to always concealing. One of the times I had to unholster in front of one of those same buddies before we went into a gun show.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post
    The best safety is the one between your ears and some just don't know how to use it. Hope I didn't make anyone upset over that, it's just IMO that your gun only needs to come out of your holster for two reasons.

1) Your done for the days activities
    2) It's your last resort and you have no choice but to defend yourself or your family.
    3) When you are drawing/firing your gun at the range
    4) When you are removing/unloading your gun from the holster at the range parking lot as per range policy (no loaded guns allowed in some ranges)
    5) When you are handing it to the dealer to see if your gun fits in that holster you are planning to buy
    miller_man likes this.

VIP Member

6). To clean and maintain
    Aceoky likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    7) When I do a security sweep of my home once I arrive
    8) When I do dry-fire drills (w/ snapcaps) at home using techniques not allowed at the shooting range
    Ghost1958 likes this.

GH
    If someone I know - like a close trusted relative who wants to see my carry piece, I unholster it carefully, drop the mag & jack the round out of the chamber, working the slide several times. Leaving the slide open then & only then I give it to him. I usually get his in return going through the same procedure I did. Obviously this is done only for those I'm confident know safety procedures & guns well.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Re: Unusual public un-holstering experiences

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    7) When I do a security sweep of my home once I arrive
    You do a full gun in hand sweep of your entire home every day?!

I'm not important enough to need that much paranoia I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by STLRampage View Post
    You do a full gun in hand sweep of your entire home every day?!

I'm not important enough to need that much paranoia I guess.
    Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. :)
    357and40 and Ghost1958 like this.

Seems a lot of your guys like showing off your "gun" to friends. Hummm...

I never "show" my carry pistol to anyone. If I am in the market for a holster I carry something else and bring the gun(s) I want to test in a case.

I have twice had people in gun stores offer me their loaded pistols to look at. For some reason when they do that I have urge to slap them up the side of the head with it.
    AcesFull, USM1976 and Bacon like this.

The ones that scare me the most are the jackwagons that pull out their EDC to show it off - eject the mag and then rack the slide and try to catch the round in midair - meanwhile sweeping the entire room with the muzzle while trying to look cool. Gives me chills just writing about it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjahippie View Post
    The ones that scare me the most are the jackwagons that pull out their EDC to show it off - eject the mag and then rack the slide and try to catch the round in midair - meanwhile sweeping the entire room with the muzzle while trying to look cool. Gives me chills just writing about it.
    A definite pet peeve of mine too. I've seen it a couple of times now and it always brings out the "I wanna beat the tar out of you" urge in me.
    USM1976 likes this.

MY Range you can carry loaded & concealed (or OC), but it stays concealed or holstered. You want to shoot your EDC, you don't bring it in loaded concealed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links