Hidden WA St CPL laws

Hidden WA St CPL laws

This is a discussion on Hidden WA St CPL laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this thread so if not I apologize. Being a new CPL holder I was studying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Hidden WA St CPL laws

Hidden WA St CPL laws

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this thread so if not I apologize. Being a new CPL holder I was studying the laws on it is unlawful for me to carry my firearm. Upon research I found a hidden unlawful location and was wondering if there were any others?

RCW 9.41 is the section of law regarding firearms possession and penalty. But under RCW 70.108 which governs public safety at outdoor music events is a penalty for possessing a firearm is listed. Nowhere in RCW 9.41 does it list this restriction and there is no exception for CPL holders listed in RCW 70.108.

Any WA st CPL holders aware of any other restricted areas outside of those listed under RCW 9.41?

I find it irresponsible that restriction is not listed under RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places Local laws and ordinances Exceptions Penalty.

Is RCW70.108 part of the WA state gun laws or is in another set of state codes?

If it is elsewhere it may not be constitutional under the state constitution and just never have been challenged. Or it may indeed be valid and there may be more information needed on the venue.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Dude. Take a class or buy the book that they sell at every gun shop. This isn't "hidden". It is YOUR responsibility to know the laws regarding carrying a handgun.
    ironmike86 and gregnsc like this.

Check out Handgunlaw.us. Gary does a pretty good job of keeping up with everyone's gun laws. If you have found something that is missing, I am sure he would want to know about it.

I didn't look closely at his information, but he DOES make references to 70.108

RCW 70.108.150

"It shall be unlawful for any person, except law enforcem

ent officers, to carry, transport or convey, or to

have in his possession or under his control any firearm while on the site of an outdoor music festival." From

RCW 70.108.020

:

'For t

he purposes of this chapter the following words and phrases shall have the indicated

meanings: (1) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons

gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainmen

t, where the predicted attendance is two

thousand persons or more and where the duration of the program is five hours or longer: PROVIDED, That

this definition shall not be applied to any regularly established permanent place of worship, stadium, athletic

field, arena, auditorium, coliseum, or other similar

permanently

established places of assembly for

assemblies which do not exceed by more than two hundred fifty people the maximum seating capacity of the

structure where the assembly is held: PROVIDED, FUR

THER, That this definition shall not apply to

government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds nor to assemblies required to be

licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.' (emphasis in original)

"If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

A search of the RCW for keyword=firearms might help you: click.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInEdmonds View Post
    Dude. Take a class or buy the book that they sell at every gun shop. This isn't "hidden". It is YOUR responsibility to know the laws regarding carrying a handgun.
    First off I'm not Dude, and second I did my part of knowing the law by reading the laws as posted on the states website. In the section regarding firearms it didn't have any provisions or references regarding the restriction of firearms at outdoor events. How am I supposed to assume/know that the section regarding public safety has ONE provision restricting firearms. That would be like listing a traffic law in the section regarding business licenses.

The reason I asked is to ensure there weren't any other laws regarding firearms in other sections of the law, so I can be an informed gun owner. I shouldn't have to take a class to find out something like that. I should be able to look at the states firearm laws and determine what is legal or illegal.

@ high pockets Thanks that is exactly where I came across that info before I looked it up on the state website to verify it.

@ccw9mm Thanks for the info. I will definitely use the advanced search. It's nice to know some people can respectfully help when asked instead of belittling people.

A little thin-skinned for the internet you are.

Every gun shop that I go in has a little white paperback book on the counter for sale for a couple of bucks titled Washington Handgun Laws. Buy one. The RCW is not written for ease of reading. It's not a conspiracy to hide something from you, it's the nature of the beast that has been piece-mealed together since 1889. Others have spent years compiling the info you need to legally and safely carry a weapon here. Take advantage of their research.
    ironmike86 and NONAME762 like this.

When I got my CPl the gave me a book with all the info. Including Stadiums ect...

Thanks for the info. I never got any book when I got my CPL. I will check with my local gun store for a booklet.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I give him credit for doing his own research. I never completely trust a compendium compiled by another. How am I to know that they haven't missed something? I always, go to the source to verify these things; even the book that I got from the Sheriff's office.

Quote Originally Posted by Compa49 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I never got any book when I got my CPL. I will check with my local gun store for a booklet.

I'd suggest going through the statutes in RCW 9.41 (firearms) and RCW 9A.16 (use of force) in some detail, considering printing out key sections pertaining to ownership/carry/use of firearms.

A copy of the following book might be useful to you, as well: Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities (2012 edition), by Dave Workman.

Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities deals with firearms ownership, both the rights and responsibilities for Washington state residents. It contains language from existing Washington State statutes that were in effect at the time it was written. This includes the laws that relate to use of force in self defense, defense of property, and defense of another person. You will also find advice on safe firearms handling, a section on kids and guns, and the general "rules of the road" about owning, carrying, and using firearms, whether for recreation or personal defense.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    A copy of the following book might be useful to you, as well: Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities (2012 edition), by Dave Workman.

That's the one!

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I'd suggest going through the statutes in RCW 9.41 (firearms) and RCW 9A.16 (use of force) in some detail, considering printing out key sections pertaining to ownership/carry/use of firearms.

Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities deals with firearms ownership, both the rights and responsibilities for Washington state residents. It contains language from existing Washington State statutes that were in effect at the time it was written. This includes the laws that relate to use of force in self defense, defense of property, and defense of another person. You will also find advice on safe firearms handling, a section on kids and guns, and the general "rules of the road" about owning, carrying, and using firearms, whether for recreation or personal defense.
    Thanks for the additional advice. I did go through RCW 9.41 as well as use the advanced search to find what other laws referenced firearms. And like I said in an earlier response I am going to pick up on of the booklets from the gun shop.

I know ignorance is not an excuse that is why I started researching. I had no idea there was a booklet available. I just got my license. I guess when I got my license I expected at a minimum where to find the laws regarding possession and carrying of a firearm. When I didn't get such information I took it upon myself to get the facts. When I found a reference to laws outside the section specific to firearms I wanted to ensure I didn't miss anything.

I realize I may have over reacted by saying the law was hidden. I could have worded my statement better. Sometimes the written language can be misunderstood.

Once again thank all of you for helping out a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Compa49 View Post
    . I had no idea there was a booklet available. I just got my license. I guess when I got my license I expected at a minimum where to find the laws regarding possession and carrying of a firearm. When I didn't get such information I took it upon myself to get the facts. When I found a reference to laws outside the section specific to firearms I wanted to ensure I didn't miss anything.

Once again thank all of you for helping out a newbie.
    Sorry sir. While WA St is a very good state in which to get a cc permit and carry a firearm, it does leave more responsibility up to the carrier regarding their end of the deal. That said, you can always take courses that provide you with that info or the book that is recommended by others here. I will say that the book and courses are just a start tho... you will learn a great deal reading thru threads about the finer details and actual meanings of those laws on this and other gun forums. The laws arent as black and white as we'd like them to be. (That's why there are lawyers *shrugs*)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Since you genuinely seem to have a desire to educate yourself on this matter, I cannot recommend the Self Defense Law 101 course at Norpoint Shooting Center in Arlington highly enough. It is a 6 hour class taught by a criminal defense attorney that dives deep into the laws of Washington and discusses case law in detail. You will come away with a full understanding of when, where and how you can or can't shoot. And if you don't, you can take the class again for free. My wife has taken it twice.
    Lightweb likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links