In the market for my first concealed holster.

This is a discussion on In the market for my first concealed holster. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am somewhat new to concealed carry. I have usually carried in the console of a vehicle or in a jacket pocket but would like ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: In the market for my first concealed holster.

I am somewhat new to concealed carry. I have usually carried in the console of a vehicle or in a jacket pocket but would like to get into holsters that I can carry every day despite the weather. I do a lot of sitting as part of my job and I am looking at carrying a J-Frame regularly. I don't want to buy a ton of holsters before finding out what works best. I am open to suggestions.

I work in an office environment a lot and the dress code is business casual. Is the small of back the way to go or pocket carry or just skip it and carry outside of the office?
    Last edited by Cyrano; March 11th, 2013 at 10:48 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    Buying a quality holster will save you money (less waste on cheap holsters that don't work). I would suggest taking a look at a hybrid design like ours. you can find them at SHTF Gear LLC and we offer one for the S&W J frame. feature, small.jpg

Thanks!
    Clay

Re: In the market for my first concealed holster.

There's only one concealment holster, Crossbreed! Nuff said!
    They are very good!

In God and Glock we Trust

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    I am somewhat new to concealed carry. I have usually carried in the console of a vehicle or in a jacket pocket but would like to get into holsters that I can carry every day despite the weather. I do a lot of sitting as part of my job and I am looking at carrying a J-Frame regularly. I don't want to buy a ton of holsters before finding out what works best. I am open to suggestions.

I work in an office environment a lot and the dress code is business casual. Is the small of back the way to go or pocket carry or just skip it and carry outside of the office?
    So you can wear cover over a belt holster... or not? I am in an office and it's a suit or business casual. The only way I can carry day in, day out, all the time, no matter what, is in a pocket.
    TY54712

Quote Originally Posted by Takeem406 View Post
    There's only one concealment holster, Crossbreed! Nuff said!
    They are very good!

In God and Glock we Trust
    Crossbreed is strikes the perfect balance between comfort, conceal-ability, and security(retention). I don't know how well it will work with a revolver though, I've only own semi auto handguns. If the grip of your J Frame is small enough to be covered by the frame of your body I would just look into getting a Raven OWB and wear it at 3 o clock. No need to tuck and go through great lengths to try concealing a small pocket gun when you can just wear it in the position that gives you a greater advantage of getting to your gun faster... and I think the best position for that is at 3 o clock OWB.

I carry a J frame in slacks and tucked shirt and tie every weekend while DJing weddings. I prefer pocket carry for the J frame in almost every situation. Easy to get to and hides like a dream in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. IWB works well as well and while I did not like the crossbreed I am looking for a hybrid style holster for tuckability. The issue I had with the CBST for me is that there was too much material and any movment by me cause the whole thing to shift, constantly having to adjust it. My Milt Sparks VMII IWB is a dream compared to the CBST, but not tuckable.

Good luck, stay safe.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Get yourself a quality holster from the start that can easily accommodate any gun you decide to carry.

Consider a MaxTuck IWB holster from White Hat Holsters Concealed Handgun Holsters and Holster Parts & Accessories - White Hat

MaxTuck Black Cowhide-172.jpg

Their system enables you to change out the kydex in about 2 minutes. Replacement kydex can be purchased for as little as $19.95. This enables you to carry any of your handguns when you want to/need to change your carry gun. If you think you might buy a new carry gun sometime in the future, the MaxTuck could save you a lot of money since you wouldn't need to purchase a whole new holster...you just get a new kydex piece. Plus you also won't have to break in a whole new holster.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I'll add a vote for the HighNoon Split Decision. It's especially great for j-frame size revolvers and tuckable. I wear mine every Sunday to church with a tucked in dress shirt, no cover jacket and have never been made. The price is outstanding also.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

Carrying a gun in a jacket pocket without a holster can be very dangerous and should never be done. For your safety and for the safety of those around you please do not ever carry your gun in an unsafe manner.

Since you are new to concealed carry, make sure you learn the proper way to do things before you do them.

Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question...there is however, the occasional person who does a stupid thing like shoot themselves because they didn't get an answer to a question they failed to ask.
    Chaplain Scott and mox like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    I have been known to carry my j frame on my ankle or in pocket with a deSantis pocket holser. If you wear a sport coat or jacket you could get a shoulder rig. (I am one of those who have a drawer full)
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I carry in a deSantis pocket holster...works very well for me.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    CrossBreed is a great holster but my Milt Sparks VM2 is 10 fold better.

Whatever the case, IWB holsters are by far the most concelable.

I agree about the Cross Breed Super Tuck. It's very comfortable...the perfect mix between comfort and yet you don't forget you're wearing it.

gtn
    N82.com

Crossbreed QwikClip is the best I have found. I have one for all my carry guns. It has less material than the Supertuck, and allows you to tuck shirts well, also.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links