Busted!

Busted!

This is a discussion on Busted! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know if this is the correct forum, it does involve concealed carry, just not about a firearm: Was in the gun store at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Busted!

Busted!

I don't know if this is the correct forum, it does involve concealed carry, just not about a firearm:

Was in the gun store at lunch, drooling over some fine specimans of wood, metal and tupperwear.

Since it's raining today I had on my Cabela's coat which goes to my knees so my waist is hidden. My firearm was in an ankle holster so it wouldn't have come into play.

So, the Sheriff (not his deputies, but the man himself) was in checking out some Sigs (he's thinking about going over to one as he really doesn't like the issued Glock). I unzip my coat and I'm walking around and then I put my hands in my pockets.

This of course opens up my waist line as well as my pockets. I've been carrying a Benchmade auto clipped to my right hand pocket. Clipped due to it's illegal to conceal and carry an auto knife.

Read that last sentence again

Yep, he had seen it (due to uber observation skills I guess ) and asked me:

"So, that a Benchmade on that pocket? An Auto Benchmade?"

me: "Yes" (and then realizing where he was going with it)

"So, when you came in your coat was closed".

me: "Yes" (I was right, knew exactly where it was going)

"You do know that is illegal don't you"

me: "Yes" (hey, what else could I say, I was busted).

me: "You know, this is really stupid, I have a CHL, I have an SBR (he remembered who I was when I mentioned that), and I can carry a concealed firearm, and shoot a SBR but I can't be responsible enough to have an auto knife in my pocket".

Him: "I agree, stupid law made by stupid people (me: (did he just say that))", "Don't worry, neither I or any of my deputities will bother you, we know who you are".

(I didn't know if a can show how I felt, my paranoia kicked in about that time ).

All in all, I know that if I get stopped by the Sheriff or his Deputies I'm okay, but the local police would have prob. busted my butt for overlooking such a small thing (and it's only a 3" blade).

Wayne

*We in Oregon are allowed to have, carry, use auto knives but they cannot be carried concealed.
    Last edited by Wayne; November 3rd, 2006 at 06:34 PM. Reason: to clear up the law on auto's

thats goofy ya can own it carry it as long as it not concealed what a joke

We cant even own them here if i remember right

Then how the flip are you suppose to carry them?
    The Dragon has time and experience. Maturity has given him knowledge, strength, skill, wisdom and inner peace.
    Glock 26 Certified Glock Armorer
    Mossberg 590 12 ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post

Him: "I agree, stupid law made by stupid people (me: (did he just say that))", "Don't worry, neither I or any of my deputities will bother you, we know who you are".

Not suprising to me at all. They don't make em.... they just get paid to enforce em. They shouldn't be asked to waste the taxpayers money chasing nonsensical technicalities produced by some legislators. But yet they are. However... best keep it to yourself around town. We can't really endorse the selective enforcement of some laws and not others. least they be laws we WANT enforced and the logic is that they don't wish too for some reason or another. What should be done is an effort made to change the law. In this case you got a take what you can get and be satisfied... however that makes no headway in doing away with that rediculous law does it?

But good for him. Sounds like he has your vote next election time?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo View Post
    Then how the flip are you suppose to carry them?
    Kenpo, you clip it on the inside of your pants pocket, As long as some of it can be seen (in this case about .5" and of course the clip) then it is legal. You can't (forgot the 't, changes the entire meaning of the sentence without it) have it fully enclosed in your pockets (or any other place where some of it can't be seen).

Sounds like he has your vote next election time?
    Heck, he had it the first time . I activily compaigned for him (going door to door) and put out the signs. He's not perfect, he's not as good as our last Sheriff, but he is head over heels better than his challanger and most Sheriffs around this state.

Wayne

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Hey dont let paranoia get ya down , Good officers who work a community have a good idea who is armed ( both legaly and illegaly ). The man himself Knew you or more likely Knew of you due to the SBR .. a part of batfe's investigation is to contact local LE so the sheriff would know lol . And guys this is a great example of " community proactive policing " The Sheriff wont mess with him , nor will the deputys , but the statute is avalable to them as a chickenshit charge should they need to hold someone untill an investigation pans thro . All in all i would say you have a good sheriff's dept and sheriff personaly .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I had a sheriff in a small in Iowa town give me permission to carry a butterfly knife because it was easier for me to use it one handed on the job. Most LEO's I find are cool about those things.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

Do the Auto Benchmades have special clips? How you can tell it is an auto apart from any other knife clipped in a pocket? Did you have it clipped to where the clip was inside the pocket and the whole of the knife was outside?

Just curious how anyone would know it is an auto

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    If they know you your almost bullet proof.
    And if you ever have to draw to back one up on an arrest you're truly golden.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    Do the Auto Benchmades have special clips? How you can tell it is an auto apart from any other knife clipped in a pocket? Did you have it clipped to where the clip was inside the pocket and the whole of the knife was outside?

Just curious how anyone would know it is an auto
    No, nothing special about the clip or the knife itself. It's just that Benchmade is an Oregon Company (hence the reason we can have and it doesn't effect federal law) and being a man who prob. has bought Benchmades before (I think they issue the auto's to the dept.) knew that it was prob. the auto model and not the thumb model.

Plus, I'm not going to lie to him. He asked it like a question, not a direct statement. I think that many in Law Enforcement call it "fishing".

They also know that most people that have such put them on their pockets so to be legal and do it so often that it just becomes habit and things like this happen.

I will tell you this though, if I ever screw up and find myself on the wrong side of the law I bet that I will have the book thrown at me. I mean, the Sheriff puts alot into his signature (or hers if you have a her) when they sign that CHL, the paperwork for Class III items, etc.. This town is half and half when it comes to politics and it only takes one of us (CHL holder, Class III owner) to screw them over for the next election. I don't want to be the one that does this.

All in all, I made the thread in a humerous(sp) way but, he is correct, I was a felon (could be pleaded down to a misdemeanor) for my non-thinking. Got me to thinking about lobbying the house/senate to include auto knives under the CHL so that little things like this won't take away my rights, even though I have the right (permit-government okay ) to carry a concealed weapon as well as federal/state permission ( ) to have an SBR, over a knife.

Wayne

That is pretty stupid but atleast you have some people on your side now.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

In Florida autos are now legal. I think they should be everywhere. Whether it opens quickly or one-handed shouldn't make it illegal.

Auto? or is it spring assisted after you open it half-way?

That is one stupid law...you carrry a gun, but heaven forbid you own a knife...did the politicians think the knife fires blade after blade without reloading?

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post

That is one stupid law...you carrry a gun, but heaven forbid you own a knife...did the politicians think the knife fires blade after blade without reloading?
    The knife stabs multiple times with one stabbing motion.
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Auto=Spring Assisted?

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post

People refer to semi-auto pistols as auto...
    Do they refer to spring assisted knives as auto?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links