Damn leather gun belt "squeak"

This is a discussion on Damn leather gun belt "squeak" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got this sweet gun belt from The Beltman and I've been wearing it for about a month now. I love it but the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Damn leather gun belt "squeak"

I just got this sweet gun belt from The Beltman and I've been wearing it for about a month now. I love it but the thing squeaks with every step I take. I looked up ways to suppress the noise but am looking for ideas from my fellow DCers using household items. Any help?? Thanks!!

Baby powder worked for me.
    Zero_ and Rock and Glock like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Baby powder, and if you use a bunch, you'll smell all fresh. Just rub a little on the squeaky parts if you don't want the fresh smell.

mkh
    Run it on the stitching an on the leather holster belt loops if you are using leather. I sprinkle it on generously, trace the seams with ,y finger to law sure the powder gets into them then wipe off the excess.

Quote Originally Posted by atracnitrix View Post
    I just got this sweet gun belt ... but the thing squeaks with every step I take.
    The belt itself squeaks? Or, your holster/belt combination squeaks? Seems hard to believe that a belt just wrapped around your waist is going to be rubbing against anything such that it would be noisy.

Or, perhaps, if really speaking of the holster/gun combination, could it be that this new belt is so much stiffer than your prior belt that it has contorted the holster sufficiently to cause the different pieces of the holster to start rubbing against one another despite the stitching? If this is true, then the solution should include investment in a better holster.

Data point: I've never had any belt squeak like that on its own. I've had a few holsters do so, and one low-end, badly-sewn holster tug at itself while strapped onto an uber-stiff Kramer belt. Other than a couple of new-holster blues where they squeaked until they broke in properly, I've never been able to trace it down to the belt doing the squeaking, and this is through a half dozen belts and a few dozen holsters over 20+ years.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Baby powder both belt and holster you will be fine and smell good also.

Used to use a real lite coat of vaseline on formal dress shoes ans some leather boots.Stops the squeak and also seals leather against moisture. What we used on our holsters is called Galco draw ez, it also stops the squeak and inside the holster makes sticky guns easy to draw out, a litlle goes a long way.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Interesting to hear the "baby powder" or "vaseline" solution. I don't have this problem with a gun belt but my horsehide IWB hybrid holster squeaks despite the leather conditioning I use. I'm gonna try that. Interesting post. Thanks.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The belt itself squeaks? Or, your holster/belt combination squeaks? Seems hard to believe that a belt just wrapped around your waist is going to be rubbing against anything such that it would be noisy.

Or, perhaps, if really speaking of the holster/gun combination, could it be that this new belt is so much stiffer than your prior belt that it has contorted the holster sufficiently to cause the different pieces of the holster to start rubbing against one another despite the stitching? If this is true, then the solution should include investment in a better holster.

Data point: I've never had any belt squeak like that on its own. I've had a few holsters do so, and one low-end, badly-sewn holster tug at itself while strapped onto an uber-stiff Kramer belt. Other than a couple of new-holster blues where they squeaked until they broke in properly, I've never been able to trace it down to the belt doing the squeaking, and this is through a half dozen belts and a few dozen holsters over 20+ years.
    Sorry, should have elaborated. I know for certain that it is the belt and not my carry rig. So you loop the belt around and tighten it down and then loop it through the leather loop that comes on almost all leather belts. THAT is the part that squeaks. It's the leather to leather contact when the belt itself is looped through the the "loop" already on the belt.

I just reread everything... used the word loop a lot ha
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Thanks everyone for the input!!!! I can always count on you guys/girls!

GH
    Are you sure it's your belt & not your joints? lol
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Isn't that why they make ear plugs?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by atracnitrix View Post
    Sorry, should have elaborated. I know for certain that it is the belt and not my carry rig. So you loop the belt around and tighten it down and then loop it through the leather loop that comes on almost all leather belts. THAT is the part that squeaks. It's the leather to leather contact when the belt itself is looped through the the "loop" already on the belt.

I just reread everything... used the word loop a lot ha
    It can make you loopy.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Leather conditioner or mink oil. Be sure to get it inside the leather loop. Mink Oil will do the same thing as vaseline but it is better for the leather--not a petroleum product.
    Pete63 and flintlock62 like this.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was younger

VIP Member
    Look into some of the other threads on this. There are several. Lots of tips that will help you. You need to fix the squeak.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links