Florida CCW what do they check

This is a discussion on Florida CCW what do they check within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anybody know what they actually check when you apply other then criminal, residence, legal status Imigration. Medical records? etc? Because it takes 3 months ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Florida CCW what do they check

Florida CCW what do they check

Does anybody know what they actually check when you apply other then criminal, residence, legal status Imigration.
    Medical records? etc?
    Because it takes 3 months for the process? Please give me some feedback.
    Thank you

2. Remove Ads

I can't tell you what they check, but when I applied for a non-resident FL permit about a year ago, it came back in exactly 45 days, which I thought was pretty fair service.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Mine did not take three months IIRC it was about two. They send your prints and info to the FBI which is what takes the longest time from what I remember reading.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I also don't know for sure what they're checking (I always assumed it was NCIS, FBI data, plus FDLE records possibly), but my initial license didn't take very long either (a month, maybe a little longer?) and the renewals also don't take very long. (By the way, renewals used to come up after three years, and now they give us five. )

My husband and I both received our permits in the last year, and in both cases it took less than a month.

We both did electronic fingerprints - if you want to speed your process up, you might want to try this.

I believe they check all the usual suspects, plus probably immigration (since they asked a couple questions about that on the form).

I forgot about the electronic prints. If I were in state I would have done that too.

What does the Non Resident Florida CCW look like? Does it have your picture on it that you sent in with the application?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebla View Post
    What does the Non Resident Florida CCW look like? Does it have your picture on it that you sent in with the application?
    Yeah it does have that pic. But, Fl. does not have two permits, Res and Non-Res. They have one permit that they give to both in state residents and those living in other states.

The pic is a bit compressed so you look a little funny in it.

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    Yeah it does have that pic. But, Fl. does not have two permits, Res and Non-Res. They have one permit that they give to both in state residents and those living in other states.
    I understand that this is exactly the stumbling block for other states to reciprocate. States like mine that do not recognize non resident issues have no way to tell them apart. So its a big problem that they do not distinguish the two for situations like that.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I understand that this is exactly the stumbling block for other states to reciprocate. States like mine that do not recognize non resident issues have no way to tell them apart. So its a big problem that they do not distinguish the two for situations like that.
    Your name and address is on it so if you are not a resident of the state it is issued from I think they would just consider it a non-resident permit.

I think these states are making things more complicated than it needs to be. NH will not let you carry there with a non-res permit but for $20 and a copy of your non-res they will give you there own non-res to use. I don't understand the point, they are using the one you already have to qualify you for theirs. Why not just let you use the one you have.

Florida checks records at the local & state level in the state in which you live, the state of your birthplace and the NCIC along with the fingerprint check at all levels. The only thing that distinguishes a Florida permit between a Florida resident and a non-resident is the address on the permit. They are identical otherwise. A Florida permit is not recognized in South Carolina regardless of who has the Florida permit. A Florida permit will also not be recognized in New Hampshire or Michigan if the permit holder is not a Florida resident.

Florida does the same thing to other states. For any state permit Florida recognizes, that recognition is good ONLY for a permit holder who resides in the state that ISSUED the permit. For instance, I am a MO resident with a Utah permit. It is not valid in Florida. If I were a Utah resident with a Utah permit, it would be valid in Florida.

Reciprocity and recognition between states is mind boggling...and potentially problematic if you don't perceive the subtle distinctions. That's why states such as mine (MO) that came late to CCW made the decision to short cycle the process and say "all permits are good here". We don't care where you live or what state you have a permit from, as long as it's valid, it's good in Missouri. Finally, we don't even require a Missouri resident to have a MO permit. We can have a permit from any state that will give us one and we're good to go in our home state.

How funny.. I need to make an apology. The next day after I posted this question I got the License in the mail. Under 2 months time. Thank you Florida. By the way the 3 month time frame was giving to me by various person has their average wait time in Fl.
    Thank you,
    SH39

This is an interesting question regarding what is checked. But I am wondering why it is asked if one has a clean history. It would seem to me that the question would be, "What takes the licensure process such and such amount of time?"

On a personal note, my FL CCW took a bloody long time! My son and I had applied on the identical day. His card came three weeks before I got my envelope in the mail. BUT... it contained a letter which informed me that the FBI was not able to read the finger prints. ( duh, wonder what took so long to figger dat out!?) I needed to submit another set of prints. Thoughtfully they had enclosed another card which I promptly took to my local PASP office to get re-printed. If I recall, it was about another three to four weeks before I received the card, making it about three and a half months total. Needless to say I was not impressed with the whole process, but obviously it was not all FL's fault.

I would rather see the process to obtain a CCW take as reasonably long as necessary to ensure that the GGs get them. Evey jerk who misuses the right to carry concealed hurts all of us.

I have had many background checks run, various jobs, two different branches of the military, but the background check run by Florida for my permit turned up an old court case, going back more than 30 years.

The problem was, there was nothing in the system as to the resolution of the case. "Adjudication withheld," nothing more. In the end, they decided to go with the "letter of the law," since it could not be demonstrated that there had been a conviction of a felony, they had no cause to deny the permit.

It took a bit longer than usual, but I was satisfied with the outcome.

As for "medical records," they'd have a hard time searching through those. They do not exist in any single location and unless you sign a release, it would take a court order for them to see them. Unless something happened to put a fragment of your medical history into the court system, they won't be looking at any "medical records."

mm
    Jess_Lynn_SigSa likes this.
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    The pic is a bit compressed so you look a little funny in it.
    I seem to always look a bit "funny" in my FL CCW picture.
    One time, I looked like a total psycho! (<-- not unlike that!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links