Appendix carry

This is a discussion on Appendix carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I typically carry at my 4:00, but feel like he draw is more natural and quicker from the appendix carry. As a result I shift ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Appendix carry

Appendix carry

I typically carry at my 4:00, but feel like he draw is more natural and quicker from the appendix carry. As a result I shift to my 1:30 and tried to move it around that way a bit, but it is so uncomfortable. How do you sit down, drive, do anything that doesn't involve standing up?

Am I missing something?

2. Remove Ads

What handgun are you using?

I do only appendix carry and have no comfort issues, driving, sitting, walking, etc, and use the Beretta Nano in an N82 holster.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    No question that appendix carry is the best for drawing from your holster. But it is uncomfortable (for me) and I don't like to muzzle my privates. I carry at 4 o'clock but cant my pistol forward (I use the Supertuck IWB) such that the grip is more at 3 o'clock and find that works for me well. It keeps me well concealed and when I reach for my pistol with the grip at 3 o'clock it's right there.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

I carry (currently) a LC9 in an IWB Galco Sto and Go at the 11 o'clock position ( cross draw, as I'm right handed ) and have no issues with sitting, driving etc. Waiting to get a Crossbreed Appendix IWB and see how well that works.

Quote Originally Posted by linuss View Post
    What handgun are you using?

I do only appendix carry and have no comfort issues, driving, sitting, walking, etc, and use the Beretta Nano in an N82 holster.
    I have a Springfield XD 9mm Subcompact, a Kahr CM9 and a Ruger LCP. Not a one of them is comfortable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    No question that appendix carry is the best for drawing from your holster. But it is uncomfortable (for me) and I don't like to muzzle my privates. I carry at 4 o'clock but cant my pistol forward (I use the Supertuck IWB) such that the grip is more at 3 o'clock and find that works for me well. It keeps me well concealed and when I reach for my pistol with the grip at 3 o'clock it's right there.
    This is about the same setup that I am using currently. I have been watching some of the training videos on YouTube and all the big names in training seem to appendix carry so there must be something to that. I just cant figure out how to make it even remotely comfortable.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    What holster are you using? If it isn't designed for AIWB that could be the problem. I carry a G23 or Sig P229 AIWB and had to adjust to it; took a couple of weeks before it felt right. Now I carry that way all the time except with a 1911, it just works better for me at ~4:00.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    What holster are you using? If it isn't designed for AIWB that could be the problem. I carry a G23 or Sig P229 AIWB and had to adjust to it; took a couple of weeks before it felt right. Now I carry that way all the time except with a 1911, it just works better for me at ~4:00.
    I don't have an AIWB holster, don't want to spend the money if I am not going to be able to carry it that way. Do you have any kind of cant when you carry it that way?

VIP Member
    I tried it also but the barrel is always stabbing me when I sit so I either IWB from 3 to 4 o'clock or OWB carry..What ever you do make sure u got that trigger covered...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by baruffic View Post
    I don't have an AIWB holster, don't want to spend the money if I am not going to be able to carry it that way. Do you have any kind of cant when you carry it that way?
    For me AIWB is very comfortable for anything up to G26 size (PF9, CZ Rami, Sig P250SC, etc...). No cant, carried just to the right of my belt buckle (~12:30). For depth I like the front of the grip just high enough to clear the top of my waistband (I make my own holsters).

The key for me was getting a good kydex reinforced gunbelt that would hold it's shape and not let the gun sag down and become uncomfortable.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I don't cant my holster at the AIWB position; some do, but they use a negative cant with the barrel forward of the grip. I like a 0%, the holsters I use are the Dale Fricke Archangel for the G23 and Garrett Industries AIWB for P229; they actually will work fine on or behind the hip as well and they both have an adjustable cant. I do leave my belt just a tad bit looser than when I carry in a more traditional position, I find a slight amount of movement aids greatly in AIWB carry. One of the best investments for trying out AIWB carry is a minimalist holster like Dale Fricke's Zac, several other companies make an identical product; Raven Concealment has two, the MIC holster is another. These rigs run close to $20 or so and even if you don't end up carrying AIWB they work great as trigger guard covers for bag carry, glove box, desk drawer, or nightstand duty.

appendix carry ... it is so uncomfortable.

Am I missing something?
    I don't have an AIWB holster, don't want to spend the money if I am not going to be able to carry it that way.
    First step, I'd say, is to get a proper AIWB holster if you're going to attempt carrying that way.

The level of comfort and suitability at that location is going to be heavily dependent on how well your gear is able to accommodate the curves/shapes in that spot. It's not the same as, say, 3 o'clock on the hip. Not every holster's going to begin to do it well, and an AIWB is going to do it better than nearly all of them that aren't otherwise designed to the task.

Keep in mind you can always sell a good-quality holster for a popular gun. Won't recoup your full investment, no, but you'll have your answer.

Some possibilities for a holster: AIWB holster, what is everyone using?
    tacman605 and JD like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You want the muzzle in the crease of your groin. It shouldn't restrict movement or be too too uncomfy there, if you have an ok holster. Terrifying, yes haha.

GH
    I like the appendix position but for some reason I don't carry that way very often. At this time I don't have any IWB holters but I find the draw to be very easy while driving & comfort doesn't seem to be an issue. I also find that with winter clothing I don't have to fumble too much to get at the gun if I keep my jacket unzipped abut 3/4 of the way.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rwponline View Post
    For me AIWB is very comfortable for anything up to G26 size (PF9, CZ Rami, Sig P250SC, etc...). No cant, carried just to the right of my belt buckle (~12:30). For depth I like the front of the grip just high enough to clear the top of my waistband (I make my own holsters).

The key for me was getting a good kydex reinforced gunbelt that would hold it's shape and not let the gun sag down and become uncomfortable.
    I carry AIWB with business clothes and I carry in the same location and at the same height. I use a Pistol Wear holster because it is so much more flexible, it has less bulk and it breathes much better. I have been using the PW holster for a couple of moths so far and it has held up well. We'll have to see if it lasts.

I also agree that it is a little unnerving to carry in this location, but I find it very comfortable and very concealable - I can tuck a shirt over the holster for deep concealment. I know, I know that this configuration is not as fast or accessible, but that is a decision I have to make sometimes given my particular situation; and I would rather be armed with deep concealment than not at all.

I do carry at about 3:30 when wearing jeans or shorts. Oh, and my carry gun is a Kahr PM9 so I am using this configuration with a small weapon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links