Honor's or Reciprocity; What do they really mean?

This is a discussion on Honor's or Reciprocity; What do they really mean? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been wondering about this ever since I got my CCW permit. I haven't seen it expained anywhere, and I frequently travel into states ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honor's or Reciprocity; What do they really mean?

Honor's or Reciprocity; What do they really mean?

I have been wondering about this ever since I got my CCW permit. I haven't seen it expained anywhere, and I frequently travel into states that honor my permit and states that have reciprocity with my state. while I sort of have an idea I really don't want to get myself into a jam so a definition would really help. Anybody out there with some help?

Tim

2. Remove Ads

honor means it is as good as the state CCW
    reciprocity means that state has an agreement with your state that the CCW's will be accepted.

Honoring -- a few states will recognize/"honor" the ccw issued by any other state.

Reciprocity -- a few states will recognize/"honor" the ccw issued by another state ONLY if that state recognizes/"honors" the ccw licenses of they've issued.

For instance Florida will honor the CCW of any state that in return honors CCW's issued by the State of Florida (currently 29 states honor Florida's CCW's) (e.g. Florida honors the CCW's of North Carolina because North Carolina honors people like me whereas Florida does not honor CCWs issued by South Carolina because South Carolina does not honor Florida issued CCW's)

Keep in mind if you're out of your home state then the rules of the state you're in apply (e.g. here in Florida it's okay to carry concealed in a restaraunt that serves alcohol, but while I'm in North Carolina I cannot because the NC rules apply.)

Allan

Reciprocity is when each state honors each others permits.

Honor is when a state honors another's states permit but that state does not honor theirs.

My states permit is honored by 16 states, but it doesn't honor any others, nor do they have reciprocity with any.

We're working to correct this at www.iowacarry.org

But one thing to note.... they honor them but only according under thier rules. They don't accept your states exact rules and prohibitions. So you have to then honor the rules of the state your in.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Birdman nailed it , and cphilip fleshed out the " watch out " details ... nothing much left to add after them two fine geltlemen got done lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Honor = I'll show you mine

Reciprocity = I'll show mine and you show me yours

-PB
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

G_W
    Just to add a bit see the fine print under the U.S. map at
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/

"Florida, Michigan, New Hampshire, South Carolina and West Virginia only honor permits from residents of the issuing states."
    G17, 19, 26

I Remember Back...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBk View Post
    Honor = I'll show you mine

Reciprocity = I'll show mine and you show me yours

-PB
    Decades ago in college...
    I think that the women had this same approach...
    Some used the 'honor' approach, some used the 'reciprocity' approach...

Maybe Eastern Michigan was the only one??????

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Keep in mind if you're out of your home state then the rules of the state you're in apply (e.g. here in Florida it's okay to carry concealed in a restaraunt that serves alcohol, but while I'm in North Carolina I cannot because the NC rules apply.)
    Actually it goes a step further. I believe that the "stricter" rules apply. So if you're from state A and you cannot carry at a particular place and go to state B which allows carrying in that particular place most states will say that you have to abide by your original states rules.

This Is a New Point For Me...

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    Actually it goes a step further. I believe that the "stricter" rules apply. So if you're from state A and you cannot carry at a particular place and go to state B which allows carrying in that particular place most states will say that you have to abide by your original states rules.
    Huzar...
    Where can you document this fact...I've not heard this before.
    You mean that if one has a GA permit and cannot enter WalMart because they sell 'booze to go'...and this individual is in FL where no such law applies...the individual must not go armed into a FL WalMart?

Now I understand the 'Gun Permit' only :vs: 'any...Weapon Permit', but I have not heard of following all the rules of one's 'home' state permit.

How could an officer of the law be expected to know the rules of different states, much less the state in which he/she works?

Wondering? ...and always ready to be 'educated'.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Huzar...
    Where can you document this fact...I've not heard this before.
    You mean that if one has a GA permit and cannot enter WalMart because they sell 'booze to go'...and this individual is in FL where no such law applies...the individual must not go armed into a FL WalMart?

Now I understand the 'Gun Permit' only :vs: 'any...Weapon Permit', but I have not heard of following all the rules of one's 'home' state permit.

How could an officer of the law be expected to know the rules of different states, much less the state in which he/she works?

Wondering? ...and always ready to be 'educated'.

ret
    Well, I just went and read through rules of states that honors CA ccw and about third of the states in their reciprocity/honors sections have something to say to the effect of "must also follow issuing states rules". Which to means is that you have to follow what's stricter. You're right about cops not knowing what are the rules of all the different states (heck most of them have a hard time with CCW rules of their own state) but if something happened and things were to go beyond peace office/holder interaction they'd probably look up the rules.

Here you go
    The State of South Dakota recognizes any valid concealed pistol permit issued to a nonresident of South Dakota according to the terms of its issuance in the state of its issue
    Here's one that talks about having to follow your own laws/rules. http://www.sdsos.gov/adminservices/c...tm#Recognition

While you might find some verbage to that effect I doubt they would be enforcable since they are not "law" in that state. I would expect the state you were in to enforce its own laws, not those of another state. I seriously doubt they could or would enforce a restriction from anothers home state that was not a restriction in their state.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    While you might find some verbage to that effect I doubt they would be enforcable since they are not "law" in that state. I would expect the state you were in to enforce its own laws, not those of another state. I seriously doubt they could or would enforce a restriction from anothers home state that was not a restriction in their state.
    As I said: the only time you probably have to worry about it is if something happens and it goes beyond a regular interaction (as in for whatever reason something happened and you're seeing a judge). Anyways will follow the rules as they see appropriate but it is something that definately should be kept in mind.

That is incorrect. You follow the law of the state in which you are physically present regardless of where you permit comes from.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links