Idahos new enhanced concealed carry permit

This is a discussion on Idahos new enhanced concealed carry permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; finally, the NRA spambot finally left me something good in my inbox. yesterday by unanimous vote Idaho law makers voted in a bill that will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idahos new enhanced concealed carry permit

finally, the NRA spambot finally left me something good in my inbox. yesterday by unanimous vote Idaho law makers voted in a bill that will create a second enhanced concealed carry permit which will hold reciprocity with 40 states over the existing standard permit with 27 states. this is great for me because I travel to washington state regularly and they do not hold reciprocity with idaho so my permit is worthless about half the time.

the main difference is that the enhanced requires a full 8 hour course of self defense/handgun specific training while you can get the standard with just about anything, including hunters safety.
    I do have a question for those of you that have similar reqs is will a DD214 be sufficient to get the new permit or am I going to end up having to find an 8 hour NRA cert course?
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

Sponsor
    In Ohio the training requirement can be met with a current(less than 2 years old) military weapons qualification/training record, not a DD214.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Idaho accepts DD214s or active military ID, for some reason they balk at military qual cards

Wonder how that will effect those of us with non-resident licenses... who have 8 hrs training, +++ , shooting qualifications, etc. and if we will be eligible for it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

the standard license will still be an option, I guess you pretty much have to either become a police officer(or at the very least complete POST) or take the NRA SD course within 12 months of application so my DD214 is out the window if I want to upgrade.

Will have to look into it. I live in the Coeur d'Alene area and have my Washington non-res as well because I hated disarming when crossing over the border too. Have had my ccw for 20 years, wondering if we get grandfathered in or have to take the course. No worries for me, really, I rarely leave Idaho save the occasional trip to Washington and fly fishing in Montana which already recognizes my Idaho permit.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

My DD214 worked in Wisconsin, but no idea if it would work in Idaho.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

VIP Member
    If you take the trouble to read the bill that is pending versus just what the media feeds you, you will find that the training is going to be required of everyone so that the permit will be recognized by more States. The old permit will still be available and you can meet those qualifications with a DD-214, but it won't be recognized in Washington nor in Nevada, two adjacent States.

The point of the Bill is INCREASED reciprocity for those States that require training beyond the DD-214/hunter safety/no shooting courses.

Bill Status: H0192
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

I would think your DD214 should suffice, but I could be wrong.

I'd like to see an enhanced permit in Texas that would allow us to carry anywhere and not require us to disarm when faced with thr 30.06 sign.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Or eliminate the 30.06 sign? Ah, in a perfect world.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Well I am going to try get a non-resident permit from Id because my Az permit is no longer any good in Nv. With all the different changes around the country b4 travel one will have to call the states that you will visit.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    Well I am going to try get a non-resident permit from Id because my Az permit is no longer any good in Nv. With all the different changes around the country b4 travel one will have to call the states that you will visit.
    I thought Nevada just recently added AZ to their recognised permits... are they off the list already?
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil3232 View Post
    I would think your DD214 should suffice, but I could be wrong.
    You are.

Read the bill and my previous post.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post

NV dumped AZ on 28 Feb 2013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links