How much, in yoour opinion, is too much?

This is a discussion on How much, in yoour opinion, is too much? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm still waiting on CCW and doing a little planning. Planning to carry Ruger sr9c IWB so just ordered a holster from remora. Also have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: How much, in yoour opinion, is too much?

How much, in yoour opinion, is too much?

I'm still waiting on CCW and doing a little planning. Planning to carry Ruger sr9c IWB so just ordered a holster from remora. Also have an LCP 380 with deSantis pocket holster and an LC9 on backorder with Buds.

I think I have 15 rounds on the sr9c ( using extended mags). Should I carry that with additional magazine or simply carry one of the pocket gun as a backup, or both extra mag and pocket gun?

Don't really want to overcarry and know theres not a 'right' answer but what do you reccommend?

2. Remove Ads

I have the same gun, you get 10 rounds with the short mag and 17 with the long one. I carry mine with the short mag only. I really don't think I'll need more then 10 rounds if I need to pull it. JMO.

Distinguished Member
    I've carried for decades and have always carried at least one reload... perhaps not so much that I thought I'd need the extra ammo as much as for protection against a magazine failure.
    No.. I've never had a magazine failure, but should I encounter a misfeed, etc. that can't be corrected with one or two slide cycles, I train to drop that mag and load a new one.
    tacman605 likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Here's what I do:

1. Carry my primary or backup gun, along with at least one spare magazine, usually with two spare magazines.

2. If I feel the venue or sequence of errands/activities warrants having a spare weapon, I'll carry my primary and 1-2 spare mags as well as my backup and 1-2 spare mags for that. On some guns where I've used them heavily for range/IPSC/IDPA use, I've owned as many as 8-10 spare magazines in the inventory for those guns.

3. Prior to adding any gun into rotation for carry, I first vet it at the range until it has proven itself sufficiently reliable.

4. Ensure I have an inventory of at minimum 2-3 spare magazines, if not more, for every gun I am to carry. Ensure I've got a few spare springs and followers on hand, to repair damaged magazines. Mostly, this is to guard against magazine failures, and the simplest way to quickly sidestep such an issue is simply to grab the next vetted magazine from the stash.

5. Wipe down the gun/mags daily, whether carrying IWB, OWB or pocket. Clean weekly or so.

Basically, this pattern has worked well for me. Some don't go nearly as far. Up to you, given how well you trust in the reliability of your guns and magazines.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would always carry at least one extra mag. If not you might as well leave it at home. Stuff happens!!! Misfeed. Magazine drops, etc. You hope to never have to use anything but you have to be prepared for the worst just in case.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The majority of opinions here will lean heavily toward the more the better, some not satisfied until they have a wagon train of munitions accompanying them. Consider what environment and potential hazards you might encounter and then carry what makes you comfortable. You can't prepare for nor defend against everything.
    Brad426, kerberos, 84160 and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I switch between a CZ 75D PCR and a SW J-frame. The former I carry just the mag (14 rounds, one in the chamber) The latter I carry with a speed strip (5 rounds in cylinder and five rounds loaded).

To be honest, even if I had just the j-frame with no reloads I'd feel fine.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Re: How much, in yoour opinion, is too much?

Excluding Die Hard movies, how likely do you feel you would need a more than 17 rounds, a back up gun and or multiple mags for each?

Consider your life, where you go, interactions you have, your most vulnerable times. Search the web, read about real life encounters. IN MY OPINION short of being pinned down by drug lords after your stash... your LCR9 is good to go.

Its pretty hard to come up with a reasonable situation where the fight will not be over in 3-5 seconds. If you have a failure to fire, drop the mag and reload, the bad guy has fled or killed you. In either case the back up or spare mags did you no good.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to hand gun as blue tooth's are to cell phone!

What ever you feel comfy with. If you feel the need to carry more then go for it.

Since my county is slow at processing CPL's, I hope to be able to carry before the second coming of Christ. When I do get to carry, I plan in using the 7 round mag in my 9mm Shield, but keeping an 8 round with me just in case.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    Excluding Die Hard movies, how likely do you feel you would need a more than 17 rounds, a back up gun and or multiple mags for each?

Consider your life, where you go, interactions you have, your most vulnerable times. Search the web, read about real life encounters. IN MY OPINION short of being pinned down by drug lords after your stash... your LCR9 is good to go.

Its pretty hard to come up with a reasonable situation where the fight will not be over in 3-5 seconds. If you have a failure to fire, drop the mag and reload, the bad guy has fled or killed you. In either case the back up or spare mags did you no good.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    So if you have a problem with your weapon do you just lie down and die?

Are you aware most people survive being shot, especially with handguns?

Jim

Administrator
    I think it a bit silly for the CCW'r to carry more than one gun, but if thats what floats your boat, more power to you.

As for the magazines, you carry the magazine not for the extra ammo, but for the probability of a malfunction. If you don't yet understand that philosophy, then I double down on carrying two guns is silly.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I carry enough gun and enough mags to get me thru what I think will be the worse day of my life. That usually means primary, and 2 extra mags. I do not carry my EDC for the end of the world type event, that is not what it is for. However, it is there to get me home.
    kerberos likes this.

VIP Member
    I believe in always carrying a spare magazine. It has nothing to do with round count. Most malfunctions with a semi auto are magazine related. If encountered, rather than spending time messing with it, drop the magazine and insert the spare.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    I'll answer a question with a question - how much is enough?

Carry what you are comfortable carrying. If you are comfortable carrying an extra mag, do it. If it keeps you from carrying because it is uncomfortable, then don't.
    Ksgunner and SCXDm9 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links