Interesting First Meal CC's in Restaurant that Serves Alcohol.

This is a discussion on Interesting First Meal CC's in Restaurant that Serves Alcohol. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I got my CC license in the mail yesterday as I mentioned in another thread, and decided to use my new found freedom to ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By Jemsaal

Thread: Interesting First Meal CC's in Restaurant that Serves Alcohol.

Interesting First Meal CC's in Restaurant that Serves Alcohol.

So I got my CC license in the mail yesterday as I mentioned in another thread, and decided to use my new found freedom to go to lunch at a restaurant that has a bar in it.

When I walked in, I saw no gunbuster sign on the window. Great! Then, standing in the front, I look through the bar and find one hanging next to the liquor license (the only place they are required to post one in Arizona). I asked for a manager and a few minutes later she came walking out. I asked about the sign in the bar and why they didn't have one on the front door. She walked out of the doors and looked around the little foyer, then came in surprised that they didn't.

I then asked permission (since now I'd be trespassing if I didn't get permission - gunbuster signs have the force of law here) to go tell my wife that I was headed back out to the car. In truth, we probably would have left. Instead, the manager says, "It's okay, don't worry about anything. We're more worried about people having handguns and getting drunk at the bar, anyway."

So I went in and had a nice lunch with my wife. Kudos to her for being intelligent and not reactionary, but it also means I have to cross Native New Yorker off my list of restaurants.

EDIT: Oops, title should be: Interesting first Meal CC'ing in... Sorry 'bout that!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In FL, only the "bar area" is off limits to CC'ing in restaurants. Congrats on your new permit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Interesting, I wouldn't have though AZ would even have gunbuster signs since they don't require permits to CC or OC. Here in TX any entity can post a sign but it has to be verbatim perfect to be valid. As for places that sell alcohol for on premises consumption (ie bars/restaurants), if they generate 51% or more or their revenue from alcohol sales then they must post a sign on the door that says so and carry is banned no matter what. Also, any establishment with a liquor license must post a sign stating so since it raises the charge for UCW from a misdemeanor to a felony. TX liquor licenses are overseen by the TABC, which is generally known as the guys who couldn't make it as cops or troopers and tend to have small man syndrome. When they make the news it is rarely ever for something good, typically more for things like beating handcuffed gay men and shooting college kids in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Interesting, I wouldn't have though AZ would even have gunbuster signs since they don't require permits to CC or OC. Here in TX any entity can post a sign but it has to be verbatim perfect to be valid. As for places that sell alcohol for on premises consumption (ie bars/restaurants), if they generate 51% or more or their revenue from alcohol sales then they must post a sign on the door that says so and carry is banned no matter what. Also, any establishment with a liquor license must post a sign stating so since it raises the charge for UCW from a misdemeanor to a felony. TX liquor licenses are overseen by the TABC, which is generally known as the guys who couldn't make it as cops or troopers and tend to have small man syndrome. When they make the news it is rarely ever for something good, typically more for things like beating handcuffed gay men and shooting college kids in the back.
    Concealed carry without a CCW in a commercial establishment that sells liquor for on-site consumption is a no-no. When the law changed a couple of years ago, they specified signage requirements which created the only official gunbuster signs in AZ. Unfortunately these are misused, as the wording only relates to the presence of firearms where booze is served (e.g., I saw a local department store with the official sign on the door). We indeed have "constitutional carry," but AZ has no 51% or 30-06 law.
    jackson85746 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Off topic oddity: In Virginia there are NO bars, only restaurants that serve alcohol (certain exemptions exist like private clubs, caterers, common carriers). There are places that LOOK LIKE bars but their ABC license says differently. Virginia does not have a license option for a "bar." There must be a certain food/alcohol sales ratio to get and maintain a license. If your establishment falls below that ratio, you correct it or lose your ABC license.

LIS > Code of Virginia > 4.1-210
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Off topic oddity: In Virginia there are NO bars, only restaurants that serve alcohol (certain exemptions exist like private clubs, caterers, common carriers). There are places that LOOK LIKE bars but their ABC license says differently. Virginia does not have a license option for a "bar." There must be a certain food/alcohol sales ratio to get and maintain a license. If your establishment falls below that ratio, you correct it or lose your ABC license.

LIS > Code of Virginia > 4.1-210
    I remember the first time I went to one of those ABC stores, it was very weird having to buy alcohol from a state run establishment.

As to the ratio thing, that reminds me of when the City of Baltimore passed an ordinance banning bottle service. The way bars got around it since they couldn't sell bottles was by selling reservations for a table for hundreds of dollars and then as a "courtesy" providing a selection of "free" bottles to choose from.

So I was back there today (had a lunch meeting). The general manager was in the store and I asked to speak with him. After sharing with him what happened, he told me that he doesn't care if I carry in his store. The sign is just something they need to have. I then asked, if I print and a LEO sees me, may I tell them that I have the general manager's permission to carry? He said yeah, absolutely.

There's one restaurant that's back on my list!
    Lightweb and jrclen like this.

Yeah! Something positive for a change!

Nevada is even better. Not only do signs have no force here what-so-ever, and the only off limits places are schools, childcare facilities, and posted government buildings. If I choose to have a beer with my cheeseburger I am perfectly legal. You're too drunk here to drive (0.08) before you're too drunk to carry (1.0).

Guess I need to read up on the new (a couple years ago) law.

My understanding was that a CCW permit holder in AZ could legally carry in an establishment that sold alcohol, but could not consume alcohol. Prior to the change a CCW permit holder was not allowed to carry in an establishment that sold alcohol for consumption. If I read gasmitty's post correctly the ARS gunbuster signs trump the CCW permit.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Concealed carry without a CCW in a commercial establishment that sells liquor for on-site consumption is a no-no. When the law changed a couple of years ago, they specified signage requirements which created the only official gunbuster signs in AZ. Unfortunately these are misused, as the wording only relates to the presence of firearms where booze is served (e.g., I saw a local department store with the official sign on the door). We indeed have "constitutional carry," but AZ has no 51% or 30-06 law.
    That's a shame. Carry it anywhere it's not posted here with only a couple of exceptions in the whole state, and not really been any issues. Responsible law-abiding citizens with guns, seem to remain so even if they are inside of a bar too. I don't drink, but that doesn't mean you won't find me in a bar with friends.... and I'll be carrying.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

What's the restaurant?

Quote Originally Posted by jackson85746 View Post
    Guess I need to read up on the new (a couple years ago) law.

My understanding was that a CCW permit holder in AZ could legally carry in an establishment that sold alcohol, but could not consume alcohol. Prior to the change a CCW permit holder was not allowed to carry in an establishment that sold alcohol for consumption. If I read gasmitty's post correctly the ARS gunbuster signs trump the CCW permit.
    In which case he'd still be breaking the law in AZ. And 'permission' from the mgr wouldnt get him out of that charge altho it would probably convince the police not to charge him in the first place.

Not worth IMO. If it's against the law, it's against the law. The odds are very unlikely you'd be discovered to begin with but if you were...esp. if you were discussing it and some anti-gun person overheard....there's a good chance that the restaurant owner or franchise owner would not support the manager's decision. Discussing CC....IMO NEVER a good idea.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

. ********.

Links