Other Forums

Other Forums

This is a discussion on Other Forums within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been checking out other shooting related forums, and have found none that seem to be the same caliber as this one. I won't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Other Forums

Angry Other Forums

I have been checking out other shooting related forums, and have found none that seem to be the same caliber as this one. I won't name specific names/URL's so as not to offend anyone.
    I checked out one that was a "cop talk" type of forum, and after about 5 minutes of reading, it seemed to be a bunch of kids/cop wannabes playing cops & robbers.

I checked out another forum, supposedly on the topics of tactical shooting, and after reading a few posts, seems that their idea of "tactical shooting" is paper targets, IPSC and IDPA. These people have the misconception, or maybe it is my misconception, that just because they can hit a stationary paper target at 25 yards10 times out of 10 shots, they are tactical shooting experts.

One thread was on the topic of C.A.R.S. (center axis relock shooting for those who don't know) as a shooting system not just a stance. Several posters said that since they had a hard time with CARS (it takes some practice to break old habits and change shooting style), and they didn't know any IPSC/IDPA grand masters who shot using the CARS system, then it must be total B.S. They dismissed flash sight shooting the same way.

I have heard our firearms instructors say several times that they have better success with shooters who have never fired a pistol before, than with experienced "target" shooters who have already developed habits (good or bad) to unlearn and reteach.

I guess this is just a little rant that I had to get off my chest so if you want to ignore it, go ahead. Hopefully, it won't take a tragedy or disaster to make some people lose the idea that just because they are hotshots on the firing range shooting stationary paper targets straight on, standing still, with good lighting, etc, that they are equally well at tactical shooting.

This is the best forum that I have found, as far as members go, as everyone here seems to have a great deal of maturity, and responsibility when it comes to firearms.

End Of Rant

Charlie
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Talking

Frankly, I don't look for too many message forums of this type. I have this one, and one other, that I consider to have some extremely well educated posters; so I stick around to see what I can learn.

I've learned that .45's are better than 9mm's; .40's really are short and weak; and that 1911's are ALOT better than Glocks.

So far, so good
    Beretta 92FS

Quote Originally Posted by Only Glock View Post
    I have been checking out other shooting related forums, and have found none that seem to be the same caliber as this one. Charlie
    Did you mean to do that?

Here and a couple of others as well ...

I enjoy Glock Talk and the 1911 forum as well.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post
    Frankly, I don't look for too many message forums of this type. I have this one, and one other, that I consider to have some extremely well educated posters; so I stick around to see what I can learn.

I've learned that .45's are better than 9mm's; .40's really are short and weak; and that 1911's are ALOT better than Glocks.

So far, so good

yep you got the main points down

I visit one other place or should say too but both are 1911 forums one gets out of hand the other is a decent site i would bother to go to the one but there's a lot of good info there

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    These people have the misconception, or maybe it is my misconception, that just because they can hit a stationary paper target at 25 yards10 times out of 10 shots, they are tactical shooting experts.
    Regrettably, the police training academy curriculum, written by desk jockeys (members of the Mass Chiefs of Police Assn) really and truly believe this. That's all that they've been teaching for >20 years to line officers (training for HRT, SWAT, etc. is supposedly much better).

NRA Instructor

Besides CC, I am also on Glocktalk, 1911forum, glockcarry, NAHC, 10mmtalk, netrifle forums. I am also on various motorcycle, bowling, archery, bowfishing forums. If you see "freakshow10mm" and location is in MI, chances are it is probably me. I get around.

ETA:
    All of the gun forums offer something different. I popped my internet forum cherry on GT, so that will always be my favorite. GT has a wealth of knowledge as does 1911forum. Some are specific about their topics, such as NACH is hunting, 10mmtalk is all 10mm, netrifle is classic rifle cartridges, others are specific models of guns, this one is about concealed carry and usually frowns on open carry discussion as being off topic to the frame of discussion the owner has in mind. I go to different forums for different reasons.

Sometimes I will get into a certain mood and go visit a certain forum. Usually my forum activity follows my hobbies that I have in mind. Archery season nears and I am all over archerytalk.com for a few weeks. Then I get an idea about a new holster so I come here and GT. I don't have friends so my socialization is all on forums. Good enough. I haven't found anyone in person that is as passionate about the same hobbies as I am.
    Last edited by Tubby45; November 6th, 2006 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Add content.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

This forum works so well I forgot about all the rest. I really liked the info at Packing.org but the forum worked one day and not the next.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personally , I keep up with this forum , THR , TFL , and falfiles . the others I just surf for the comic relief LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    Well, it's kinda hard to argue that Sabre Tactical Center Axis Relock is not a viable technique for defensive shooting if you've ever seen the system demonstrated.

Let me see if I can find the link to the doggone C.A.R. Video Page........

Here Goes...Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, it's kinda hard to argue that Sabre Tactical Center Axis Relock is not a viable technique for defensive shooting if you've ever seen the system demonstrated.

Let me see if I can find the link to the doggone C.A.R. Video Page........

Here Goes...Click Here
    I saw the videos... that is awesome shooting. I can only strive for that level of tactical competency. I am trying to find out if there is an instructor of that system here locally in E TN. Also talking to our range instructors about it. I know our SWAT guys use it (or something very similar). Maybe I can get some range time in with them.

That was what ticked me off about one of the other forums... some pf the guys were saying since they didn't know of any IPSC/IDPA Grand Masters who use it, it must be BS.

Charlie
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

I am a member on 1911forum.com, they have some good info, but just read and have never posted there. Not that I can remember anyway.

This forum is the best that I have read, so I pretty much don't hang out on any others.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

OG,
    if your in E Tenn, and are looking for quality instruction, to compliment the CAR system, give a look at Randy Cain of
    www.cumberlandtactics.com.
    Like I said, Randy doesnt teach CAR, but is a great instructor, and what he can teach you will certainly bolster your shooting/fighting capabilities.

Dan

Speaks For Me...

Quote Originally Posted by crankinNM View Post
    This forum works so well I forgot about all the rest. I really liked the info at Packing.org but the forum worked one day and not the next.
    I enjoy CC...if only Bumper could straighten out the BANNER!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Talking Love It!!

You've just gotta love it here!!

You guys are great - learn something new (and valuable) very regularly here!

ccWV
    The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, . . . that it is their RIGHT AND DUTY TO BE AT ALL TIMES ARMED . . . Thomas Jefferson (June 5, 1824)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links