Support a Virginia Sheriff's pro-2A statement on the WEB

This is a discussion on Support a Virginia Sheriff's pro-2A statement on the WEB within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; [Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL. First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and PVC reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL] ...

Thread: Support a Virginia Sheriff's pro-2A statement on the WEB

VIP Member

Support a Virginia Sheriff's pro-2A statement on the WEB

[Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL. First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and PVC reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

ACTION ITEM: James City County protest for censoring Sheriff's pro-2A statement from web!

ACTION ITEM #1:

Let's PACK the James City County Board of Supervisors meeting with gun owners and GSL stickers! Those who would like to speak should do so, especially those who live in James City County.

The meeting is THIS coming Tuesday, March 26, at 7 PM at:

James City County Government Center
    Board Room, Building F
    101 Mounts Bay Rd.
    Williamsburg, VA 23185

If you would like to speak at the meeting, you can send in a Speaker's Card **electronically** by going to:

James City County Board of Supervisors Speaker's Card

(you must send in the card before 4 PM on 3/23)

As this is a regular local government building, carry should be OK.

ACTION ITEM #2:

Let's fire an email salvo that will overflow the in-boxes of the Board of Supervisors and get their attention!

Email addresses:

jccboard@jamescitycountyva.gov

Suggested subject line:

Reinstate the Sheriff's Second Amendment statement!

Suggested message:

As an elected official of the County, the statement made by Sheriff Deeds showing support for the Second Amendment, part of the Constitution that he and YOU took a solemn oath to support, needs to be put back on the County's web site, where it belongs. At a time when the Constitution is being shredded around the country, the citizens of James City County need to see where their government stands on protecting their rights.

To have removed that statement shows a severe disdain, not only for the U.S. and Virginia Constitutions, but for Sheriff Deeds, and to the voters who have trusted all of you to protect these rights.

Please put the Sheriff's statement back on the County's web site.

Sincerely,

-----------

WHY WE ARE HOLDING THE PROtest

After the James City County Sheriff, Robert J. Deeds, posted a statement of support for the Second Amendment on the James City County web site, the Board of Supervisors voted to have it removed! The County Attorney and Supervisor Robert Middaugh seem to be leading the charge to do so, claiming that the Sheriff's statement was political in nature. Not all on the Board agreed with that, with the strongest push back coming from Supervisor Mary Jones (Vice Chair), who fully supported the Sheriff's statement.

Here is the "offending" statement from the Sheriff that was censored from the web site:

I, and the deputy sheriffs of the Williamsburg-James City County Sheriffs Office have sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

The oath of office we took includes upholding the Second Amendment of the U.S. Bill of Rights and Section 13 of the Virginia Bill of Rights, each guaranteeing our citizens the right to bear arms.

While I am Sheriff, neither I, nor any deputy sheriff in this office will take any action to aid or abet encroachment on this fundamental right of our citizens.
    The Sheriff is a patriot and is reiterating a key part of his oath of office. To some people, like the Sheriff, that oath actually means something. To some of the Board members and their staff, not so much.

A link to a story on the issue:

From wydaily.com: Sheriff?s Statement on Second Amendment Removed from County Website | Williamsburg Yorktown Daily

Video of the County Attorney explaining why the Board was justified, in his opinion, in censoring the Sheriff. It also includes Mary Jones pushing back. Every thing starts around the 94 minute mark:

EarthChannel Player v4
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).

VCDL is a non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Some pre-meeting news coverage:

Virginia Citizens Defense League threatens to pack James City County Board meeting - vagazette.com

Gun lobby blitzes James City email boxes

JAMES CITY - County officials received more than 100 emails over the weekend from members of the pro-gun lobby Virginia Citizens Defense League, which is also threatening to show up at tonight's Board of Supervisors meeting.

"There were 80 or 90 over the weekend, then there was a lull yesterday, and another 30 or so this morning," Supervisor Jim Icenhour said.
    County Attorney Leo Rogers said he doesn't know exactly how many have been sent but "It's well over a hundred, I'm sure."

Some time last week, the League sent a blast email to its members calling on them to "pack" the Board of Supervisors meeting tonight. "As this is a regular local government building, carry should be OK," the email read.
    It also suggested: "Let's fire an email salvo that will overflow the in-boxes of the Board of Supervisors and get their attention!" It then provided the supervisors' email address.

The gun-rights nonprofit is going to bat in support of Sheriff Bob Deeds' Second Amendment stance. In February Deeds posted a statement on his website, which is hosted on the county's server, promising that while he is in office "neither I, nor any deputy sheriffs in this office will take any action to aid or abet encroachment on this fundamental right of our citizens."

SNIP
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

So what happened at the meeting? How many supporter showed up?

VIP Member
    [Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL. First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and PVC reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

We had a great turnout at the James City County Board of Supervisors meeting on Tuesday night! Gun owners with their "Guns Save Lives" stickers dominated the meeting, making up about 2/3 of the attendees.

The two police officers in the room were pleasant, polite, professional, and didn't bat an eye at all the armed citizens.

What was particularly nice was that the Board went to public comment almost immediately. It took quite a while for everyone to speak, even with a 3-minute limit.

Some of those who spoke did an absolutely spectacular job! One person said that the Board could prove their individual support for the Second Amendment by immediately reinstating Sheriff Deeds's statement on the Second Amendment to the County's web site! Why didn't I think of saying that? ;-)

No one spoke in support of the County censoring Sheriff Deeds.

After being verbally pummeled by the citizens attending the hearing, the Board finally responded.

The most outspoken supporter of the Sheriff and the Second Amendment was Board member Mary K. Jones. She first read a statement on the issue from the Sheriff (who was out of town, attending a meeting in Salem). She then took the Board to task for not voting sooner to reinstate the Sheriff's statement. She stated that she wanted to take a vote on doing so immediately.

Board member James Kennedy said that he would indeed vote on the issue if Ms. Jones pressed forward on her request. He said, however, he would prefer to have a meeting with the Sheriff to clarify the Sheriff's message and then decide on posting the possibly clarified message on the web site. He also said that the Board really needs to set a policy on such matters in writing and then adhere to it. The intent was to avoid purely political statements and keep the web site factually oriented.

Mr. Kennedy also suggested that perhaps the Sheriff could just set up his own web site with his own funds and then he could post what he wanted.

The other Board members liked the idea of meeting with the Sheriff and then voting to post his message and also to set a policy on such things.

Ms. Jones was disappointed in the delay, but ultimately agreed to wait for a meeting with the Sheriff. The Board agreed that such a meeting was to be held ASAP, probably at their first meeting in April.

James City County residents and gun owners, Sue Sadler and her husband, Keith, requested that I share this message with all those who came to support liberty tonight:

"On behalf of the Constitution loving citizens of James City County, please accept our deepest appreciation for helping us on the issue of our Sheriff. VCDL is an outstanding organization with its members rooted in the love of our country and our Constitution, and the comments made tonight were amazing. If you would pass on our heartfelt thanks to everyone we would be very grateful.

I'll be sure to keep you posted on how the 'work session to talk about the policy' goes.

Just what we need, another policy that counters the Constitution! I think you can see the fight we constantly have here.

Thanks again for everything!"

I would like to thank Board member John Fenter, EMs Doug Peterson, Chuck Williamson, and Greg Trojan, and all the other members who came to show support when called. It's YOU, our members, who make this group second to none!

I will report back as soon as the Board of Supervisors meets with Sheriff Deeds and they make their decision on posting the Sheriff's message.
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).

VCDL is a non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    I think the opposition board members need to take a good look around. A history refresher is in order as well. For those that don't know, James City County is where Jamestown, Virginia is located. The county surrounds Williamsburg, Virginia. Two great birthplaces of America and our freedoms as we know them today.

Links