real life attacks part 2

real life attacks part 2

This is a discussion on real life attacks part 2 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; O.K. as some of you may know from the first post, there have been several attacks in my neighborhood by a gang of teenage thugs, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

real life attacks part 2

O.K. as some of you may know from the first post, there have been several attacks in my neighborhood by a gang of teenage thugs, since my last post these attacks have made the evening news with a recurrence, they beat up a kid with bone cancer for gods sake!!! I currently beeen carrying a 5 shot taurus 650 .357 mag, and just picked up a Glock 23 with a 13 round magazine, would i be better off with one and not the other? would the 5 shot be adequate as i don't know how big this gang is? so far i carry both and trying to decide which will be primary and which will be secondary, any thoughts?

The Glock. Definately.

i would say the glock wld be the way to go. get yourself an extra mag and make that 13 into 26. if there is more than 26 guys in tht group then just run and dont look back. also be very carfull with groups like that. they will most likely have some sort of weapon. may it be a gun, knife, pole, what ever just always keep yourself in yellow. man they will be in for a surprise if they come acros you.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

No doubt about it...carry the Glock. The Taurus is a nice CCW (although I prefer S&W), but a 5 shot wheelie is better for a single attacker. I would prioritize by carrying the Glock with at least 27 rounds before I worried about a BUG.

I should also note that the only ammo i could get this weekend was winchester white box 180 gr. personal protection ammo, which i am a little iffy about, my taurus has the speer 135 gr..38 +p load which i love, should i be o.k. with the winchester stuff until i can get better ammo this weekend?

Glock.

Assume that 2 shots will be missed due to darkness, aggressor movement, and anger/fear leading to bad aim.
    That leaves you with just 3 rounds in the revolver before reload while the Glock would be just warming up.
    Assuming you have a single actual attacker of the group and that downing him scares off the others then well you might be okay.
    I'd personally rather have too much than too little and 3 shots in my mind is far too little.

High capacity FTW.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The Winchester White Box Personal Protection stuff is actually not bad stuff. If I'm not mistaken, it is actually winchester Silver Tip ammo without the silver tips. A lot of people poo poo this stuff because its cheaper, and not winchester's premium grade stuff, however, its about as accurate as other defensive rounds, reliable, and i definitely would not want to be shot with it. Also, silver tips is really good stuff, and the lack of the coating probably would not make that much of a difference.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

The first step in your plan must be to note when and where these attacks are occurring and don't put yourself in the position of being the next victim. If it's in your neighborhood, be wise and don't go out, especially during this time of crisis.

Or, if you must go out and about, go by day or don't go alone. Do what you need to do so you don't look like easy prey. That's exactly why disabled people are attacked, as was the kid with bone cancer, they look defenseless to the predators.

Think through this much more deeply than what firearms to carry. Have a strategy for staying safe, for I can assure you that the attacker has one for picking victims.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

The Winchester ammo will do fine.If I were you I would carry the Glock and the 38 for back up.You never have to many guns or ammo.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Carry the glock as primary with the wheelie in a different carry location. Maybe your ankle, incase they would get you on the ground with a surpise attack, it may be easier to get to your ankle than your hip. Once you are clear, get out the glock and finish the fight.

Make sure you run a few clips of than winchester through your gun to make sure it cycles ok. Not that winchester is bad, you should do that with any ammo in a semi.

Gang of thugs defense

First choice:

Second choice:

Third choice:

Real Life Attacks

Anytime my wife and I venture into Philadelphia, especially at night, I carry a Glock .357 Sig or .40 caliber, with two extra 13 round magazines. I confine my travels to the Center City area for the theater and restaurants, but I always maintain situational awareness, especially when retrieving my car from an indoor parking garage with several dimly lighted levels. Better safe than sorry. If attacked by one or more armed assailants I would not hesitate to use deadly force. But I am concerned about using deadly force to defend against multiple attackers using fists and feet, and maybe sticks, but not deadly weapons. That could get a little sticky if some "misunderstood youth who was only having a little fun" was wounded or killed. In that situation, I hope that just drawing the gun or at most a few warning shots would end the confrontation. That has worked for me twice when I lived and worked in New York.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My advise is carry the one you can shoot the best. When the loud noises and bright lights ,(muzzleflash)start the bullys will leave anyway , so dont worry about capacity , ect.. just carry what you can hit with because its so rare for a ccw gunfight to get to a reload its not worth commenting on . Myself i carry an auto ( autos are slimmer not necessairly better ) or two . Whateaver you carry dont neglect to carry at least one reload for it also .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    ...its so rare for a ccw gunfight to get to a reload its not worth commenting on .
    No offense, but I disagree with this sentiment, at least as it applies in this context. There is a huge difference between a 5 shot capacity and (essentially) no reload option and a 13(14) capacity and the potential for a reload. In a practical shooting class I've taken, we practive the ATM scenario where you pretend that you are waiting behind someone to use the ATM when they turn around with a knife and his buddy comes from the side. This is done by having you stand with your firearm in your holster in front of two targets. When the buzzer goes off simulating the threat, you draw and fire. Speed counts in the scenario and it is not uncommon at all for seasoned shooters to miss. My instructor demoed it and with a J frame S&W, hit one "guy" twice and the other guy once.

Now let’s look at the OP’s scenario…say it’s 5 or 6 guys. Now you have to DEPEND on the gun scaring them away. What if you take two guys out of action and the fourth and/or fifth guy has a gun back in the car? What if you spray your 5 shots and start running…confident you can reload that speedloader while running down the street?

Don’t get me wrong…I love wheelies, but there really is no substitute for having 27 rounds of easily accessible projectiles on your person.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    No offense taken , I speak from my experiance only and dont profess to be a guru or set on a mount despensing wisdom LOL . Carry what you are comfortable with , i do LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links