PTSD

This is a discussion on PTSD within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious, if a soldier comes back and has been diagnosed with PTSD can that person possess a ccl or have guns?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: PTSD

PTSD

Just curious, if a soldier comes back and has been diagnosed with PTSD can that person possess a ccl or have guns?

2. Remove Ads

That's probably a state by state decision. I'm sure he's have to have been diagnosed by a qualified mental health professional to be denied. YMMV

Right now, I think it depends on what state he is in, and whether or not he has been confined for treatment, voluntarily or involuntarily. Of course, if some of the legislation pending, passes, the answer will be a definite no.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I suppose that may with state laws, but to me PSTD may be a severe as pnuemonia, or inconsequential as a mild cold. It is beyond my capabilities to make that call.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    I also believe that this is a state by state decision; and I think that the status of the discharge also plays into it.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I believe in most cases, yes they can. Having PTSD in general does not mean you're "mentally unstable", it really depends on the specific person. By the way, it can be caused by a lot more than just war.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

You know that all returning Vets are considered TERRORISTS by the DHS... well they did at one time !
    msgt/ret likes this.

One of the guys in our church group has it. He is retired and doing ok but says he has been diagnosed with it. He talks about him and his wife having guns. I know his wife carries but not sure if he does. With the Navy Seal being shot by the guy with PTSD I just wandered.

In most jurisdictions, it requires a mental diagnosis, or reasonable fear and a court order to remove someones weapons, regardless of mental status. There may be some exceptions. Not being mean, but I dont think you would have asked if you had a fear of a similar situation. I am PTSD diagnosed. I served 2 tours in Iraq. Am I crazy, nope. Is your congregation member, prob not. PTSD affects people differently. There are no set symptoms. I have nightmares, cold sweats, dont sleep well, etc but I function just fine. The best thing you can do is support your congregation member, thank him for his service, and be his friend.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Joonbi View Post
    One of the guys in our church group has it. He is retired and doing ok but says he has been diagnosed with it. He talks about him and his wife having guns. I know his wife carries but not sure if he does. With the Navy Seal being shot by the guy with PTSD I just wandered.
    PTSD is almost always talked about in the context of veterans but that really is a limited way of looking at it. PTSD effects a lot of different types of people, veterans obviously but also rape victims and those who have experienced other types of extremely traumatizing events.

As to the Chris Kyle murder, his killer is claiming to have PTSD and likely will do so if he goes to trial. Although he did get deployed to Iraq, there is no validated proof that he ever saw combat. Likely he will attempt to use this as a mitigating factor since he's charged with capital murder (x2) and could get a needle in his arm as a result. As some people may know, when we sentence you to death in Texas, we mean it.
    blitzburgh and pittypat21 like this.

Just like any other mental illness, there's a spectrum.

I know highly functional people who have been diagnosed with PTSD by the VA and own and carry weapons and have done so for many years without any incident whatsoever.

Interesting how for so long PTSD wasn't even considered a condition or injury worth compensating for but now during this certain political climate, it's the real deal and everybody suffering from it is just a ticking time bomb.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I personally feel they're just using it as a blanket statement in attempts disarm those they fear the most, trained men and women who may pose a threat if any civil unrest were to occur.
    Old Sarge and ccw9mm like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

PTSD or autism seems to be the excuse for bad behavior these days. It's a mental thing. However, if you call me out on that mental thing, say I'm nuttier than a fruitcake for example, well I'm going to call you out on that don't you know.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

This is a super nice guy, very intelegent and level headed. You are absolutely right and yes I have thanked him for serving. I have a daughter who is in the Navy now for 22 yrs.

In ALL cases the answer is yes, unless the person has been adjudicated mentally defective. In cases where a member is still on active duty, in certain circumstances the individual's command may temporarily seize weapons, if they know about them, but that's typically in cases where suicide threats are made or domestic violence suspected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links