Herbert vetoes Utah's Barney Fife Carry Bill

This is a discussion on Herbert vetoes Utah's Barney Fife Carry Bill within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Governor Herbert vetoed Utah's wannabe Constitutional Carry law today. I was opposed to this law for different reasons than why he vetoed it, so I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Herbert vetoes Utah's Barney Fife Carry Bill

Governor Herbert vetoed Utah's wannabe Constitutional Carry law today.

I was opposed to this law for different reasons than why he vetoed it, so I didn't participate in the poll

Gov. Herbert vetoes constitutional carry bill | ksl.com
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I will never understand having to carry an unloaded gun. That is so . . . wrong.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    So, if you OC a DA revolver in UT, you can have a round under the hammer, but thenext chamber must be empty? Geez, good luck explaining that to a cop who doesn't shoot revolvers.
    "No, officer. My Ruger rotates the other way."

Here's an editorial written a day before the veto: http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/arc...-sold-a-lemon/

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I will never understand having to carry an unloaded gun. That is so . . . wrong.
    It's like being mandated to drive an engine-less car, to hopefully dissuade a few criminals from driving getaway cars. Pointless in the extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    Governor Herbert wrote. "As a State, we must exercise extreme care that we not impose undue burdens on the right to bear arms, but I have yet to receive any credible evidence that Utah's current permit process constitutes a hardship."
    May not be a hardship. But it's most definitely an infringement. Which is the whole point, IMO. Given the model plan has worked so well, and the citizens have shown themselves to be extremely upstanding with their arms, and that criminals have continued to violate any and all statutes as well as the CHL requirements, it only makes sense to get rid of the baggage. One would think that as a carrier, the Gov would see that. Somebody got to him. One would think the "we've got to be extremely careful" logic would apply to infringements on civil rights of the people who hired them, first and foremost. Apparently not, with some of them.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsored Links