To declare when you are carrying or not to LEO's

This is a discussion on To declare when you are carrying or not to LEO's within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mioduz oh yea just to clarify, about my original post about being in NY, I do not go to school in NY, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To declare when you are carrying or not to LEO's

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mioduz View Post
    oh yea just to clarify, about my original post about being in NY, I do not go to school in NY, I just travel along the border of NY to get to my school which is in PA, so i never really thought of looking of the laws for carrying in NY before the trip, just never crossed my mind
    That is something that you really need to keep in mind, especially given the states that boarder PA. I think it's possible that what you did might have gotten you in big trouble if you'd crossed the borders of either NJ or MD.

Any time you cross a state border the gun laws can change radically!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

2. Remove Ads

I'm pretty sure that the peacable journey or something like that would cover you if you are on a road that is i PA, crosses over shortly and then crosses back into PA. Actually if you leave Pa and drive straight through to Florida, I think you are covered.

I am actually surprised I didn't get flack for the D***head comments. Maybe not all forums are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the peacable journey or something like that would cover you if you are on a road that is i PA, crosses over shortly and then crosses back into PA. Actually if you leave Pa and drive straight through to Florida, I think you are covered.

I am actually surprised I didn't get flack for the D***head comments. Maybe not all forums are the same.
    I was gonna ask if there where any type of laws that protected people like that. I know if I am planning on going to another state i always look up the laws ahead of time, but it never occured to look up the NY laws becuase I just drive along the border, and ultimatly I end up in PA, so I guess it just never clicked. Id be interested in reading more about this "peacable journey" that you refered to

Citizens hate Dhead cops as much as good cops hate Dhead cops. Just the way it is. There is one in every crowd.

Pretty sure the state determines reciprocity or permit honors not the county.

He would be covered under the 1980's traveling act, but he wasn't passing through. He was returning to school. Lot different.

It is not the officer's job to inform you of the law. It is your job as a citizen to know the laws and how they pertain to you. Ignorance is never a defense.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post

Pretty sure the state determines reciprocity or permit honors not the county.

He would be covered under the 1980's traveling act, but he wasn't passing through. He was returning to school. Lot different.

It is not the officer's job to inform you of the law. It is your job as a citizen to know the laws and how they pertain to you. Ignorance is never a defense.
    No becuase I am definatly sure that NYC laws are differnent from the rest of the state. Im not 100% on how, but I was told that in order to carry in the City, you pretty much HAVE to be a cop.

You must have missed my follow up post....My school is in PA, and my home is in PA, i just drive up into NY cause its the quickest way to go along the border

And I disagree, if I was indeed breaking the law, and he just let me off becuase he realised that I was just driving through (which now sounds like i wasnt breaking the law) then I think it is his duty to let me know that It is illegal, and that I shouldnt be doing that. I'm not trying to break the law, im trying to help out the LEO's. In all reality I could have said nothing about carrying, gotten a ticket, and been on my way. But I didnt know the rules, and I realised i was in another state, so I offered this information up to him so that In case it came up later....i was not trying to hide anything

I'm actually not a cocky person, just drive like an ass....but nobody is perfect
    I, too, have a tendancy to have a lead foot--but when carrying, I do not try to draw attention to myself by driving faster than the rest of traffic. I recommend you re-assess your driving habits.

But If someone declares they are caring a handgun, I dont think they have any intention of pulling to on an officer....If I was so audacious (spelling????) to pull a gun on an officer, im sure as hell not gonna tell em about it ahead of time. I think it shows respect in ways, as well as a form of trust.
    Why would they trust you just because you have a gun and you told him/her about it? If your municipality requires you to inform, do so. If it doesn't--use your best judgement, but don't assume that the LEO will automatically assume you are a "good guy".

As far as NY, I have looked into the laws, and they are confusing as hell. Clearly I should not have a handgun anywhere near me in NYC and surrounding areas, but a friend of a friend said taht in the lower counties, that they do honor out of state permits.
    I would ignore your friend and find a new route to avoid NY. Your friend won't be going to jail for you and, unless you can quote/cite NY State Code where they *must* honor an out of state CCW permit, do not bring your firearm into NY. Discretion is the better part of valor.

...Furthormore I would have expected the police officer to educate me on this when I got pulled over. I knew the laws there where different, and I have 2 handguns and an AR15 with me, so I didnt want to make it seam like I was hiding anything. I wish he would have cleared up this issue before I left. But other than him being unpleasant with me, he never really said it was illegal, or legal.
    LEOs are not lawyers and do not interpret the law--they enforce the law. Whatever he/she told you should not be construed as legal advice. I recommend you continue to research what you can/can't do in PA and NY.

I'm really not intending to break your stones--I just don't want you to get into trouble with all good intentions to comply with the law and cooperate with LEOs. However, as a holder of a CCW permit, you have a responsibility to know the law as it applies to you (transportation, where you can/can't carry, how to carry (open/concealed), duty to inform, crossing state lines, use of deadly force--for starters).

This is a great board to learn from, but don't take it necessarily as gospel (i.e. "but Judge, on CombatCarry.com, they said I could...<fill in the blank>...") Read the state and local laws (handgunlaw.us) and those of neighboring states you frequent.

Mike in VA

No becuase I am definatly sure that NYC laws are differnent from the rest of the state. Im not 100% on how, but I was told that in order to carry in the City, you pretty much HAVE to be a cop.
    A NY carry permit is valid in the whole state EXCEPT NYC. This is STATE law, not local law. The state determines reciprocity between states, which is what I was referring to.

I think it is his duty to let me know that It is illegal
    And I am telling you it ISN'T HIS JOB OR DUTY. It is your duty as a citizen of the USofA to inform yourself of the laws and how they pertain to you. If you cannot do this, go see a lawyer who can explain it to you how the courts have interpreted the laws. Get it out of your head that it is the officer's job to lecture a citizen on what is legal and what is illegal.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Soda?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I would NEVER tell a cop i am carrying , heck i am so good at ccw that the little omission would never get me proned out for a felony stop procedure , or shot , Its all a good joke among us " real men " and since i know the cops have nothing to worry about with me , heck they just have to naturaly know it too .

( the above is my warped sense of humor guys and if you cant figure out my thoughts from it ... well good luck in all your endevers lol )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    I'm a LEO. I dont give a flying hoot if you are armed or not. If I don't assume you are armed, I'm not doing my job properly.

Yeah, I'd like a soda, popcorn sounds good too.

Chips?....

Administrator
    Lets get fancy and have a complete bbq

Assistant Administrator
    My own personal view - despite not being legally obligated, I will declare as a courtesy - simple as that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Put lots of butter on the popcorn... I'm ready to clog a few arteries...

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    << fires up the smoker ( again lol )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links