To declare when you are carrying or not to LEO's - Page 3

To declare when you are carrying or not to LEO's

This is a discussion on To declare when you are carrying or not to LEO's within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Chicken or beef is fine, no pork products please...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To declare when you are carrying or not to LEO's

Administrator
    Chicken or beef is fine, no pork products please

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    << has a big enough smoker to cook for the board lol , you can graze off the beef side
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    OK guys - let's stay on topic, or not at all!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I'm gonna make a Starbucks run, anyone want anything? :1kaffee:

Okay boss... I'll be good!

In Nevada we do not have to inform so I don't. The exception would be if for whatever reason I was about to be searched, in which case the LEO normally asks "do you have any weapons"?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    Not unless yur going ccw, to stay on topic

<< does cook with the mosin by the smoker ... is that on topic enough ?? LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Personally, I like having the option to not disclose I am carrying (in VA) vs a "must inform" state.

If I were to inform--I wouldn't say "I have a gun", but "I would like to inform you I have a permit to carry a concealed weapon and am armed at this time"---get the word "permit" out ahead of weapon or gun...repeat as needed.

Mike in VA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Not unless yur going ccw, to stay on topic
    ALWAYS SIXTO!

On a side note, also in Nevada, and I imagine most larger agencies, if you are stopped for a traffic violation, the LEO is informed by dispatch regarding your CCW license status! In Nevada we have to list the type/model /caliber of weapon we have qualified with... if you have a weaopn not on your CCW OH BOY!

superior skills."

good thought sig , I rutienely inform , but i live out west where a weapon is less of an issue too . I normaly start with i have a ccw and my weapon is ________ ( fill in the blank ), if its off body right now well they know 1. there is a weapon , and 2. they normaly dont need to concern thiemselves with a stupid action on my part since its up front info. If on body , then i follow up location with the question What would you like me to do officer ? Then they can control the contact . IMHO this is just safer for everyone involved .

I'll share my opinion having appreciated all the snacks already.

I would be far less concerned with issues of disclosure when not required and FAR MORE CONCERNED about understanding what happens when you cross a state border in to a state that does not recognize a PA permit!

Last time I looked NY State (and City) do not recognize any OOS permits so your voluntary disclosure was an admission of guilt. If your story is true, you are one very lucky camper and I would wholeheartedly reccomend you review the following; http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf before making the journey outside of PA in any direction again.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    ALWAYS SIXTO!

On a side note, also in Nevada, and I imagine most larger agencies, if you are stopped for a traffic violation, the LEO is informed by dispatch regarding your CCW license status! In Nevada we have to list the type/model /caliber of weapon we have qualified with... if you have a weaopn not on your CCW OH BOY!
    Thats a good idea...Ive never heard of qualifying users for particular calibers. Do you have to shoot, and demonstrate control of a caliber in order to get liscensed? How does that all work?

Administrator
    it really does get old when people announce that they are armed, esp. when is unnessasary. Ohio law says you must declare, but like I said before, I don't care if you are or not.

I have a few people tell me all about their ccw while waiting in line at conveinence stores, fast food resturants etc. Once I was at a Subway eating dinner with a co worker, some guy came in and announced to us very loudly that he was armed... He got embarrased rather quickly, and introduced to the dirty floor while he was being disarmed... Its all about discretion, and keeping it concealed. I prefer to play by the dont show me yours, I won't show you mine set of rules.

Assuming your the owner of the car your driving, I already know you have a permit. Its not the permit holders I worry about anyway. I dont think the thug thats going to take a shot at me is going to bother with a pemit.

OK, I'll state, even though it's already been said, that there is no way you can legally carry a handgun anywhere in the state of NY unless you are a LEO or a NY resident with a permit according to NYS law (or if you are on your way to an NRA event by state law or passing through via federal law). You were very lucky not to go to jail for carrying in NY on a PA permit.

Look up 265.02 of the NYS Penal Code. Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree. Is a class D Felony. That means no more guns for you ever if you announced that to the wrong person.

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    OK, I'll state, even though it's already been said, that there is no way you can legally carry a handgun anywhere in the state of NY unless you are a LEO or a NY resident with a permit according to NYS law (or if you are on your way to an NRA event by state law or passing through via federal law). You were very lucky not to go to jail for carrying in NY on a PA permit.

Look up 265.02 of the NYS Penal Code. Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree. Is a class D Felony.

But I was just passing through....so i was totally legal....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mioduz View Post
    Thats a good idea...Ive never heard of qualifying users for particular calibers. Do you have to shoot, and demonstrate control of a caliber in order to get liscensed? How does that all work?
    Yes... there is no limit to the guns you can have. One lawyer I heard about had 3 CCW cards (room for 9 guns per card) because he listed so many guns!

30 rounds with each weapon.

My CCW reads:

SIG P-229 .40/.357 (I have a spare barrel)
    SIG P-226 .40
    Springfield 1911 .45
    Glock 23 .40
    Glock 27 .40
    S&W 640 .357

Gets a little pricey for some!

superior skills."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links