Real common sense legislation

This is a discussion on Real common sense legislation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Slowly the wheel turns. District Allows Concealed Carry for Select Employees...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By macknight22
  • 1 Post By Mike1956

Thread: Real common sense legislation

Real common sense legislation

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds dearly the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Let's just hope it spreads.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    A step in the right direction, at least.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

That is the most sensible approach to this issue that has been proposed and their firearms training exceeds what I was required to take in order to obtain my CCW permit. The costs over the long haul would be cheaper to the taxpayer even if we bought them the gun and paid for their training and yearly qualifications exams. Im sure LEO would probably donate their time in training teachers and a BG would certainly think twice before going into a school or any building for that matter knowing that there are several armed people on the premises.
    Aceoky likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by macknight22 View Post
    That is the most sensible approach to this issue that has been proposed and their firearms training exceeds what I was required to take in order to obtain my CCW permit. The costs over the long haul would be cheaper to the taxpayer even if we bought them the gun and paid for their training and yearly qualifications exams. Im sure LEO would probably donate their time in training teachers and a BG would certainly think twice before going into a school or any building for that matter knowing that there are several armed people on the premises.
    How about just losing the gun buster signs? It doesn't cost a thing, and achieves the same end.
    oldnfat likes this.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Distinguished Member
    I'll bet they never have any problems at that school.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

I have to admit that I don't usually agree with any statement that includes the words 'common sense' and 'legislation' in the same sentence. And, I'm not sure that this would really qualify as legislation. The school board's decision may count as legislation, but it isn't a written law.

Either way, the decision is a good one and will keep the kids safer.

I had no idea that common sense and "legislation"could occur in the same sentence. But all sarcasm aside my opinion.

While arming teachers does indeed sound good, there are the drawbacks such as training or lack of it. Most people that I talk with when the discussion comes about say that an untrained armed teacher would be as dangerous as a whackjob shooter. The possibility of a untrained one shooting a kid while targeting the offender is the main reason why some are against it.

Well, here it is. Teachers go to school to be trained as teachers. What is so radical or unorthodox as to not ask for or require teachers with ability to be armed to be allowed training in how to handle situations like we have seen.

It has to start somewhere. We cannot keep allowing schools to be places of carnage and target rich envronments for deranged people with guns and an axe to grind. We have to do something and if it means massive firearms training for teachers/administrators or whatever, then that should be standard.

This will be the only way to deter a shooter. It will never stop it, but if they realize that the possibility of confronting someone armed where they want to create massive casualties exists, they will not choose to go there and find some other place where they can shoot and kill at will with nobody to stop them.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

SD just passed a law that allows school boards here to do the same. There are some qualifications that must be met for a teacher or staff member to carry, and it's strictly voluntary.

I don't expect to see a big rush to have teachers packing, but it's the right thing to do to allow the local boards to make such decisions.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Common sense, is to do as Palm Beach County School District did in 1972, organized a School Police force of Florida certified police officers. We have officers assigned to the schools full time and have never had a serious incident within any school.

IMO, to arm the school teachers would make them the primary target and the first victim of even the dumbest would be shooter.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Links