Concealed carry in Illinois by non resident

This is a discussion on Concealed carry in Illinois by non resident within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know it is VERY early to be asking this question but I would like some educated opinions on this subject. Assuming Illinois actually adopts ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Concealed carry in Illinois by non resident

I know it is VERY early to be asking this question but I would like some educated opinions on this subject. Assuming Illinois actually adopts concealed carry, would there be any provisions for non resident carry? I don't really see Illinois honoring any other states permit so in that case would they be OBLIGATED to offer a non-resident permit to citizens that travel there? If not, there would be no legal way for anyone that doesn't live in Illinois to carry in Illinois and they would therefore be denied their right. Is there currently a state that does not honor another state's permint that also does not offer non-resident permits? I am asking because I travel to St. Louis often and have found myself accidently ending up on the Illinois side occasionaly. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

More than likely, if/when IL creates a setup for legal CC, it will be written in such a way that it will be virtually impossible for 'normal' people to get one. MD and NJ both have CC, it is may issue by the state police but it is extremely hard to get a permit unless you are rich or politically connected. I remember hearing recently that MD, which has a population of around 5 million has something like 4500 current active permits, almost all of them are either politically connected people, judges, ex cops, or prosecutors. Remember that IL state politics are essentially controlled by the Chicago machine (or is it Outfit? I get those two confused). I think it is highly unlikely that they would go with the county system like CA has, where it varies from no issue to almost shall issue depending on where you are. Also, I think it highly unlikely that IL will recognize ANY out of state permits. We can hope for the best, but wouldn't hold my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by jhogan2424 View Post
    I know it is VERY early to be asking this question but I would like some educated opinions on this subject. Assuming Illinois actually adopts concealed carry, would there be any provisions for non resident carry?
    Only when their cold, dead fingers get off the legislative process, methinks.

I'd bet that reciprocity is one of those things that'll be hung onto for awhile, as it'll be one of the few infringements they'll be able to. In time, as sanity begins to reassert itself, and after other states begin to see the learning curve is nearing completion, I'm sure reciprocity will begin to be an actively-managed thing. Can't imagine it being early in the game, given the "sting" of being forced to get with the program in terms of carry.

I'm in agreement with some others, too: there's incredible incentive for the liberty-haters to craft a virtually-never-issue arrangement, lest "carry" fall into the hands of the citizens unfettered. I'll believe it when I see it, IOW, but I'd say the likelihood of getting widespread, sane, supportive carry across the citizenry, let alone shall-issue and full reciprocity, is pretty darned low. We'll soon see. Perhaps sanity will reign, again, in IL politics. We're gettin' a whiff. May it smell at least somewhat sweeter than the political putrification that's been wafting from there the past few decades.
    ericb327 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Im going to go out on a limb here and say that the pond in hades has not froze over yet...
    MJB_17 and ericb327 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Im going to go out on a limb here and say that the pond in hades has not froze over yet...
    Some anti gun places I can tolerate in limited doses, NYC for instance. I would honestly rather swim in raw sewage than visit Chicago again. I'm not sure if this is coincidental or not, but in Mexican Spanish slang "Chi Cago" means "I piss, I ****" hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post

Or: "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip."

If Chicago-leaning pols get their way, it'll be shackles by another name, to just squeak by the court's order. Sad, but all too likely.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Or: "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip."

If Chicago-leaning pols get their way, it'll be shackles by another name, to just squeak by the court's order. Sad, but all too likely.
    Yep, I think the short answer for the OP is a resounding NO......
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhogan2424 View Post
    I know it is VERY early to be asking this question but I would like some educated opinions on this subject. Assuming Illinois actually adopts concealed carry, would there be any provisions for non resident carry? I don't really see Illinois honoring any other states permit so in that case would they be OBLIGATED to offer a non-resident permit to citizens that travel there? If not, there would be no legal way for anyone that doesn't live in Illinois to carry in Illinois and they would therefore be denied their right. Is there currently a state that does not honor another state's permint that also does not offer non-resident permits? I am asking because I travel to St. Louis often and have found myself accidently ending up on the Illinois side occasionaly. Does anyone have any opinions on this?
    CA does not recognize other states and does not have a non-resident permit. NY, NJ, MD and HI, while in theory, have non-resident permits, it is almost impossible to obtain one. I doubt very much IL will recognize other states permits, or that they will have a non-resident permit. Along with that, my guess is they will make it nearly impossible for residents to obtain one as well. Just a guess, but I see IL going as a "May Issue" state.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

What it will come down to for states like this is:

Hoops and Money.

The hoops to jump through will be so arduous that people probably won't bother. They'll probably only make it last a year so you'd have to go through all the hoops again.

The cost will be placed out of reach of the average citizen.

Distinguished Member
    Illinois will never pass cc...IMO. I hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8upguy View Post
    Illinois will never pass cc...IMO. I hope I'm wrong.
    They're being forced to do exactly that by the U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, via their Feb 22 2013 ruling. (Granted, it was only a 5:4: decision, but it happened.)

The only question is whether it'll be practically-never-issue and otherwise restrictive as sin, or something this side of that.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Illinois will never pass cc...
    They're being forced to do exactly that...
    Hopefully Str8upguy is right. After the 180-day stay is lifted, IL's carry prohibition is void; the default is Vermont-style constitutional carry, with "reciprocity" for all.

Distinguished Member
    They're being forced to do exactly that by the U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, via their Feb 22 2013 ruling. (Granted, it was only a 5:4: decision, but it happened.)

The only question is whether it'll be practically-never-issue and otherwise restrictive as sin, or something this side of that.
    I've heard this before. I don't understand the argument they are being "forced to". Why wouldn't it be up to the state legislature to pass it or not?

I've heard this before. I don't understand the argument they are being "forced to". Why wouldn't it be up to the state legislature to pass it or not?
    As Anubis points out (and which I should've included in the post), lawful carry's going to occur in IL. They're being forced by that court decision to either pass statutes covering it or to have constitutional carry occur anyway in lieu of their acting. Either way, it's gonna happen, that was the point.

You're correct, though: if the IL hirelings opt not to act, then they won't act. But that'll be as far as their lunacy is permitted to go, given the decision by the 7th USCOA.

VIP Member
    The Federal Courts ruled that Illinois ban on conceal carry was unconstitutional and gave the state legislature I believe 180 days to pass a carry law. The ruling did not say what type of carry was required, just that one must be put in place. It leaves the state open to pass May Issue or Shall Issue, and the training/cost requirements and if they will grant recognition to other states.

So while they did force the state to come up with a program, they left all the important issues of it in the hands of the legislature.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links