End of day gun storage

End of day gun storage

This is a discussion on End of day gun storage within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've been reading posts about bullet setback from rechambering the same round multiple times. I'm just starting to carry, but my plan was to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: End of day gun storage

End of day gun storage

So I've been reading posts about bullet setback from rechambering the same round multiple times. I'm just starting to carry, but my plan was to clear the gun whenever I got home for the night to put in my gun safe. (I've got a dedicated home defense gun by my bed in a separate safe.) The reason I clear this gun is it sets on the shelf in the coat closet and when I reach in to retrieve the gun, I can't fully see it because it's above eye level. Reaching in by feel with a loaded Glock just makes me nervous. I'm considering picking up something like a simple Uncle Mike's pocket holster to keep it in the safe so I could keep it loaded and avoid the rechambering issue. Is this a good plan? What do you do with your gun at the end of the day?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Put it on the night stand, in its holster.

Keep it holstered and it should be fine.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

You have to do what works for you. There is no right or wrong way.
    At hand are always loaded, lock in a safe but loaded and unloaded weapon is a rock.
    Treat a weapon as if it is always loaded it may as well be loaded .
    But that is my house you can make what ever rules you want it yours.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    ^^^ In the holster
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

A holster would eliminate the bugger picker from accidentally grabbing the wrong thing. This would also save the abuse on the rounds. Ultimately you have to be happy and comfortable with your choice.

I keep it in the holster. I believe that in addition to the unnecessary wear on the ammo, the more you handle the gun in terms of loading and unloading, the higher the chances of something happening. Handle it less, less chance of something happening.

It sleeps right next to me, on the night stand, where I can see the glow of the night sights. A holster would work
    slidewayz240 likes this.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

VIP Member
    Mine stays on my hip until I'm ready for bed. Gun and holster come off together and stay together.
    anglertoo likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Kids in the house?

I have kids in the house, my gun comes off and goes into the quick access safe next to the bed. It is never unloaded unless I am cleaning it, or if I happen to be changing mags at the range.
    ninjahippie, RickyD and TVille like this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I guess it would depend on the type of holster you're using. I use a comp-tac minotaur for my EDC XDS. I attach the holster to the pants/shorts...then put them on, then insert the gun into the holster. I do the reverse when at the end of the day.

I picked up a cheapie black hawk holster to put the XDS in overnight...while keeping it fully loaded.

I have a glock with night sites for bedside.

Simply put...my guns are always in either a holster loaded (If I'm carrying it that day/night) or in their carrying cases (unloaded) while transporting/going to the range.

It goes directly from my holster to my Speedvault safe next to my bed where my kids can't touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by 74 View Post
    I keep it in the holster. I believe that in addition to the unnecessary wear on the ammo, the more you handle the gun in terms of loading and unloading, the higher the chances of something happening. Handle it less, less chance of something happening.
    So by that logic I should train less to reduce my handling of the weapon incase I might have an accident?

Just be vigilent in your safety practices and it won't matter how much you handle it.

If you feel that you're rolling the dice on a ND happening each time you pick up your gun, seek better training or reconsider your choice to own a firearm...

For what it's worth regarding the OP, I clear and lock up my carry gun each night. I have a shotgun for HD.

GH
    I keep mine unloaded in its holster in a drawer next to my computer desk. The mags are stored in the next drawer below. I have a 14 year old grandson living with us & although I trust him with firearms & he's a good shooter himself with a lot of safety training at times he has friends over. Nobody but me knows it's there & I keep it covered with computer disks. Fortunately his friends always come during the daylight hours & then I'll be wearing my gun.

I'd love to keep it at my bedside but it's still fairly accessible.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    So by that logic I should train less to reduce my handling of the weapon incase I might have an accident?

Just be vigilent in your safety practices and it won't matter how much you handle it.

If you feel that you're rolling the dice on a ND happening each time you pick up your gun, seek better training or reconsider your choice to own a firearm...

For what it's worth regarding the OP, I clear and lock up my carry gun each night. I have a shotgun for HD.
    Actually 74 is correct, An ND or AD are more likely while handling the gun. That's why most departments provide a sand filled gun boot to load and clear in. I keep my guns in a quick access gun box fully loaded, and in a holster. The holster is to protect the trigger and the finish of the gun from the box. DR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links