CC of single action autos

This is a discussion on CC of single action autos within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wondering how people out there are carrying their SA autos, I do not mean holster type. Do you carry: -cocked and locked -draw ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: CC of single action autos

I am wondering how people out there are carrying their SA autos, I do not mean holster type.
    Do you carry:
    -cocked and locked
    -draw and cock
    -draw and rack a round
    -or some other way

CARRY ON!
    One day you will be asked to make the ultimate sacrafice for your country, freedom and liberty. Give only blood.

- Retired Army Major in 1976- My Grandpa

1911, one in the pipe with hammer on first click up. I used to go cocked and locked but i found that the safety got bumped to fire once in a while.

I carry a Colt Commander daily, cocked and locked, just like it was designed.

Jake
    Exacto likes this.
    "They kept tryin' to put me in the ground, but I wasn't ready"

VIP Member
    Condition 1. Cocked & locked, ready to rock.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Condition 1. Cocked & locked, ready to rock.
    Same here just the way JMB designed it to be carried.
    JDE101 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

This question or some variant of it must be the most asked on the interweb and yet I can't not answer - FNP45T in C1 on duty, Colt 1991A1 Commander or Compact in C1 off duty.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Cocked and locked is the way God and John Browning intended the 1911 to be carried.
    msgt/ret and WHEC724 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedz View Post
    1911, one in the pipe with hammer on first click up. I used to go cocked and locked but i found that the safety got bumped to fire once in a while.
    Assuming you're carrying a 1911 you still had at least two safeties backing the thumb safety up - they won't fire without the grip safety deactivated and the trigger pulled - no worries.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

I have a pair of HK's (USP 9mm compact and HK45 compact) that I choose to carry cocked + locked. They could both be used DA/SA, but I prefer to operate them SAO.

Remember I am new to guns. I have not had a gun my entire life and I am 58 now. My wife and I recently got our CHL and I carry now regularly.
    In my life I have NEVER had an instance where I could say - it would have been better with a gun (so far). Since it is not what I do for a living. I practice getting it out of the holster and removing the safety and racking a round. I can do it rather quickly.

Consequently I NEVER have a round in the chamber and it is not cocked and the safety is on (Sig Sauer P238)
    Since accidents can happen, I would rather be safe than to be able to say that I could have fired 1 second sooner. Could I be wrong - yes - but the CHANCES are higher that I would cause myself damage or someone that I love damage if I do not take the maximum safety precautions.

Does one in the pipe and cocked and locked sound cooler - yup. But for me this is not a Bruce Willis competition or even a Steven Segal. It is simply safety. You have to do what is right for you. (IMHO).

Bill
    CAS_Shooter likes this.

one in the pipe, cocked and locked. THat is how the 1911 was designed to be carried. Why try fix what isn't broke?

Remember there are "5" safeties on a modern 1911.

1.) Proper holster
    2.) Safety switch
    3.) Grip safety
    4.) Your finger
    5.) Your brain (Most Important one)

Cocked, locked and one in the chamber.

You may not have the time to jack around getting it ready to fire.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (1920–2006)

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post
    Remember there are "5" safeties on a modern 1911.

1.) Proper holster
    2.) Safety switch
    3.) Grip safety
    4.) Your finger
    5.) Your brain (Most Important one)
    In some cases number 5.) might be missing.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasBill View Post
    Remember I am new to guns. I have not had a gun my entire life and I am 58 now. My wife and I recently got our CHL and I carry now regularly.
    In my life I have NEVER had an instance where I could say - it would have been better with a gun (so far). Since it is not what I do for a living. I practice getting it out of the holster and removing the safety and racking a round. I can do it rather quickly.

Consequently I NEVER have a round in the chamber and it is not cocked and the safety is on (Sig Sauer P238)
    Since accidents can happen, I would rather be safe than to be able to say that I could have fired 1 second sooner. Could I be wrong - yes - but the CHANCES are higher that I would cause myself damage or someone that I love damage if I do not take the maximum safety precautions.

Does one in the pipe and cocked and locked sound cooler - yup. But for me this is not a Bruce Willis competition or even a Steven Segal. It is simply safety. You have to do what is right for you. (IMHO).

Bill
    As you get more comfortable with the gun, it will feel more natural. I have one single action that I do carry hammer down tho. Its safety doesn't lock the hammer like a 1911, So I carry it with one in the chamber and the hammer down. DR

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links